Green Thinking

Red cv

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
I'm a wee bit of a hippy, I compost and I recycle. I dumpster dive to recycle furniture to donate to a group that gives it to the needy. I changed all my light bulbs to energy efficent ones, I replaced my old windows with R rated windows, I have a tankless hot water boiler that burns less oil. Half my house is headed by solar power. I don't use chemicals period in my yard or garden. I drive a small car a Volkswagon Golf. I however own a truck also, I need it to do certain jobs but I fill the gas tank once every two months. Blah blah, I've tried to do my bit, now when will our governments get in line and do the same thing. Pollution is killing our rivers, streams, lakes and oceans in some cities the air is foul with pollution. What will it take to wake us up? I don't want to live like the Chinese with a paper mask over my face.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:52 pm
@Silverchild79,
Change starts in the home for sure.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 10:56 am
@Silverchild79,
Red, you're the bomb.
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 02:10 pm
@Silverchild79,
Damnit, I'm surrounded. I don't go out of my way to help the enviornment but I do less to hurt it than most.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:25 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;19224 wrote:
Red, you're the bomb.

Not a toxic one I hope. Every little bit helps, not everyone (especially families with wee ones) can do as much as some of us. I think I bought a pot plant today, a climbing one. It looks like pottttttttttttttttttttttttttt? Now what does one do with pot???
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:51 pm
@Silverchild79,
Send me a leaf.... for scientific analysis of course....
Red cv

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:33 pm
@Silverchild79,
LOL you want me to send you some Canadian Papers with that leaf Golf?
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:03 am
@Red cv,
In spite of being from a large family which normally would shout consumerism to people...

....my father was a conservator in all he did and we were taught through habit to follow conservation within our home.

I have taken those habits and used them as an adult in my own homes and
they have not only benefited my own methods, they have afforded me what I believe less money thrown away into the vast energy wastes.

I don't feel deprived and sneer at the hysterics who frighten people into their adopted lifestyles. Conservation is easy - it isn't terribly heroic either - requiring regular promotion and personal advertising - it is just a sensible and gentle way of life - leaving our space as we found it - or better for the next person.

What a shame it has been overshouted by product development which in turn generates even more industry to mitigate pollution and waste when none need have occurred to begin with.

Guess I just like the simplicity of the lifestyle which is the best benefit of all.
Drnaline

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:45 am
@Red cv,
Red;19330 wrote:
Not a toxic one I hope. Every little bit helps, not everyone (especially families with wee ones) can do as much as some of us. I think I bought a pot plant today, a climbing one. It looks like pottttttttttttttttttttttttttt? Now what does one do with pot???
A plant in a pot or a pot plant in a pot, LOL.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:46 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;19339 wrote:
Send me a leaf.... for scientific analysis of course....
She can send it my way too, i may require more then a leaf, LOL.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 07:50 am
@Skye cv,
Skye;19637 wrote:
In spite of being from a large family which normally would shout consumerism to people...

....my father was a conservator in all he did and we were taught through habit to follow conservation within our home.

I have taken those habits and used them as an adult in my own homes and
they have not only benefited my own methods, they have afforded me what I believe less money thrown away into the vast energy wastes.

I don't feel deprived and sneer at the hysterics who frighten people into their adopted lifestyles. Conservation is easy - it isn't terribly heroic either - requiring regular promotion and personal advertising - it is just a sensible and gentle way of life - leaving our space as we found it - or better for the next person.

What a shame it has been overshouted by product development which in turn generates even more industry to mitigate pollution and waste when none need have occurred to begin with.

Guess I just like the simplicity of the lifestyle which is the best benefit of all.
Sounds like you and me were raised by the same guy, ever been to New Mex, LOL.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 11:09 pm
@Silverchild79,
Red, send me enough for a cigar, I have the papers!
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:56 am
@Silverchild79,
Curmy - are you and Red (like me) products of the late '60's and '70's..? Once in a job interview I was asked if I ever smoked pot. I said "yes, probably 10 tons, but I grew up in the '70's and that's what we did." We were definitely thinking "green" then.
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:08 pm
@Red cv,
Drnaline

Nope - never been to New Mexico - beautiful country though from what I have seen. My father is probably a copy of many big quiet guys who got on with their lives with little parading and hollering - and took on the sensible use of our world as much as he could without waste or destruction. He came from a large family of Canadian ranchers and farmers who settled in Alberta in the late 1700s and life was rough for them.

In his modern growing up - going to school - having shoes all year round - those kinds of 'modern trappings' when compared with his ancestors - he probably thought he was well off - not by today's standards but by his family's earlier lifestyles.

I think he and his brothers had a great life for boys and men....
0 Replies

missdixy

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:44 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;18824 wrote:
Whenever I go to WALMART, I feel as though I'm committing treason.

LMAO. Same here.

Anyhow, yeah, a lot of people in my city are very, very wasteful. My city's disposal service recently started a recycling program and I have been very excited about it, but I see so few people who put out the blue recycling trash can next to the usual one on collection day! It's not like it is hard work or anything...just a few extra seconds to place recyclables in a different trash bin!

:no:
0 Replies