Green Thinking

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 12:46 pm
Have you ever stopped to think how much we waste as americans?

I just probably brought up images of throwing away soda cans, leaving lights on, Bubba in his "Big old Truck" and so on. But that's my point, even when we consider it we miss the point...

I workout daily (usually). And I love stationary carido equipment. Allot of people buy windmills and solar panels for their home but check this out

Bike Power Information

I thought it was a smart idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,207 • Replies: 34
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:14 pm
@Silverchild79,
After several years in Germany, I can say yes, the US is a cess pool, and Americans need to get a hold of their consumption and waste. It really is grotesque. One of the first things I noticed upon my return home were teh fast food chain sign jetting into the sky every ten feet. Everything comes in a wrapper, in a box, in a bag, seems like no one recycles anything, the great part is...no one cares. I mean, people SAY they care, but in Europe if tehy even catch you throwing cans in a bottle bin, you get about an $800 ticket...they care. If you do care about, some dipshit labels you a commie liberal.

I've got an idea, we can take all the illegal immigrants that want to come here looking for jobs, and have them sort trash at the dumps!!!
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:09 pm
@Silverchild79,
The problem is that we cannot store much electricity without using up alot of space. If we can sort out that problem then this would be truely worthwhile.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:03 pm
@Silverchild79,
?

take your coat closet and turn it into a battery room

wire excersise equipment with generators, buy some solar panles and windmills

convert to 12 volts appliances

call google and find out when they're updating google earth

walk outside, drop your pants and bend over so that the coal burning world can KISS YOUR ASS lol
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:44 am
@Silverchild79,
I've been to some earthships up in Toas that are totally off the grid. They run 12V systems A couple of them have windmills the produce enough and then some, selling it back to the utility.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:33 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;15707 wrote:
I've been to some earthships up in Toas that are totally off the grid. They run 12V systems A couple of them have windmills the produce enough and then some, selling it back to the utility.

That's exactly my goal

I'm not big into the Global Warming scare, I haven't seen Al Gore's movie and I'm not losing any sleep over my carbon footprint. But the fact of the matter is this is the next step for America.

As a savvy consumer it's quite obvious that we're enslaved to fossil fuels. If you pay $150/mo for your electric bill in your house over a 30 year period (life of a mortgage) you spend $54,000!

in that period of time I would spend an additional $38,880 on gasoline per car(at $3.00 per gallon).

total energy cost for one house and two cars over 30 years? $131,760!

Yet you can convert your home for a fraction of the cost.

Going green isn't about the ozone layer in and of itself, it's about liberating the American middle class from the fuel nipple & raising our quality of life. What would you do with an additional $366 a month that's already been taxed?

This is how we leave emerging economic competitors like China and India in the dust, this is how you pay for your child's college.

That being said my goal is to go 100% off the grid, to include electric vehicles, as soon as possible...
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:14 am
@Silverchild79,
You should draw up some logistical plans and sell it as a system. If persons interested could afford the extra burden to get of the grid, how long do you think it would take before you are self sufficient? If some kind of financing were available to lessen the impact of making the jump i bet you'd get alot of takers. Specially if the willing to buy alternative fuels cars already?
I think i'm pretty much of the same mentality as far as GW. Not saying is ain't happening, my main question is who/what is to blame? I feel that the single person willing to commit will make the most difference.
0 Replies

couchp

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 03:00 am
@Silverchild79,
The USA will get on board one day. There's still China, India and the underdeveloped nations. The trouble with the USA is, it's right until they say it's wrong. And can anyone imagine trying to tell China what to do, they are the fastest developing nation on earth and one day, maybe the wealthiest.
I like millions in the UK recycle my waste, but it's not enough. 'Man', it is gonna be fun when the oil runs out! 'Ferrari supercharged 12v anyone'
rugonnacry

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 11:08 am
@Silverchild79,
Couchp. You eont be around to see that. At our current Rate of consumption IN texas alone we have enough reserves to last (this country) another 100 years. Thats JUST texas and thats just the Oil WE KNOW is down there. That is not including Oil We are SURE is down there.

the oil scare is a myth, it is not nearly as close as anyone thinks. Our Grand children MIGHT see the last drop of Oil used.

For verrification of Reserves in Texas see Google RAILROAD COMMISION OF TEXAS (they are the Federal branch that governs the production of Oil and Gas in texas.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 05:01 pm
@Silverchild79,
I routinely try to conserve and help out, but it's hard. Our entire way of life is founded in part on addictive consumerism.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:04 am
@Silverchild79,
yup and there is a finite supply which means that oil, by it's very definition, is temporary.

I don't call for conservation, I call for a change in the way we think about generation of energy. We've been on the fossil fuels "nipple" for years, it's time for us to fend for ourselves. Think about it.

If you had two windmills and a full set of solar panels in your house, and your recumbent bike/treadmill/elliptical were hooking into the generator how much energy could you save with a few high efficiency appliances? There is so much out there that's available to use, but human nature is against change, so we don't
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
I think People are ready for a change, so long as they keep the horespower that OIl provides. And not having to spend 90 k on a vehicle that does it.
0 Replies

I Understand

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:40 am
@couchp,
couchp;16491 wrote:
The USA will get on board one day. There's still China, India and the underdeveloped nations. The trouble with the USA is, it's right until they say it's wrong. And can anyone imagine trying to tell China what to do, they are the fastest developing nation on earth and one day, maybe the wealthiest.
I like millions in the UK recycle my waste, but it's not enough. 'Man', it is gonna be fun when the oil runs out! 'Ferrari supercharged 12v anyone'

China is wealthier than we are if our economy is being supported by them at the moment. I believe China is the worst country for pollution as well.
0 Replies

I Understand

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:46 am
@Silverchild79,
We have to get moving with the alternative energy. People are not going to pay $6 per gallon. Biofuels aren't the answer either. Its still a fossil fuel. We need to harness the most abundant element in the universe hydrogen. Japanese scientists have recently made a stable solid form of hydrogen that would be perfect for generating power for automobiles.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:46 am
@Silverchild79,
[QUOTE]Going green isn't about the ozone layer in and of itself, it's about liberating the American middle class from the fuel nipple & raising our quality of life. What would you do with an additional $366 a month that's already been taxed?[/QUOTE]

Everyone got that?
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:46 pm
@I Understand,
I Understand;18768 wrote:
We have to get moving with the alternative energy. People are not going to pay $6 per gallon. Biofuels aren't the answer either. Its still a fossil fuel. We need to harness the most abundant element in the universe hydrogen. Japanese scientists have recently made a stable solid form of hydrogen that would be perfect for generating power for automobiles.

LOL same was said about 50 cents a gallon, and 1.00 a gallon 2 dollars 3 dollars.

Just like Ciggarettes, LOL
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:47 pm
@Silverchild79,
whats with the ozone layer? we need to find him and stop laying that **** everywhere
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:48 pm
@Silverchild79,
WHAT IS THE CHEMICAL COMPOUND OF The Ozone layer. ITS NOT "O3" thats man made ozone created during welding.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:30 pm
@Silverchild79,
Whenever I go to WALMART, I feel as though I'm committing treason.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 02:42 pm
@Silverchild79,
Switch to Sam's Club.
0 Replies