• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,250 • Replies: 28
No top replies

rhopper3

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 01:53 pm
@Silverchild79,
I don't know that I favor citizens taking up the cause of law enforcement...but I have always been a strong advocate of the right to own firearms...
92b16vx

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 02:28 pm
@rhopper3,
rhopper3;14750 wrote:
I don't know that I favor citizens taking up the cause of law enforcement...but I have always been a strong advocate of the right to own firearms...

They didn't take up the cause of the law, they acted as responsible citizens and upheld the law. Even on the gun forums I go to most CCW permit holders would be hesitant to draw on even a grocery store hold up, most do not consider themselves vigilates.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:50 pm
@Silverchild79,
i think i am going to aply for a license myself. Is there any kind of extra training you can take, other than the obvious military and police training?
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:34 pm
@Silverchild79,
Aside from taking the 8 hour course, not to carry. You can attend a number of privately run training centers, or join in three gun competitions, not sure if they (teams/individuals) run any training or not.

Texas signs new self-defense by gun law | Politics | Reuters

I love Texas.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:47 pm
@Silverchild79,
GUNS, BABY.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:57 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15360 wrote:
Aside from taking the 8 hour course, not to carry. You can attend a number of privately run training centers, or join in three gun competitions, not sure if they (teams/individuals) run any training or not.

Texas signs new self-defense by gun law | Politics | Reuters

I love Texas.

thank you for the info.
92b16vx

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:10 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15384 wrote:
thank you for the info.

You're in Houston good for you, check it out...

Utah Department of Public Safety - Bureau of Criminal Identification

http://www.bci.utah.gov/CFP/insoutstate.pdf

This is a list of out of state Utah liscence conceal carry permit instructors. Texas and Utah have a reciprocity with concealed carry permits, which, in a nutshell means that in Texas a Utah permit is as legally valid as a Texas one, cool huh? Oh yea, the good part, the liscence is only $59 for the liscene, and about the same for the class, some instructors run specials. My brother got his through Utah, $50 for the class, and $59 for permit, much better than the $140 for the Texas liscence, and I think $125 for the Texas class.
Drakej

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:32 pm
@Silverchild79,
This was a very responsible use of a CPL. They where not being wild renegade they did the right thing. They saw someone that was not able to help them selves so they stepped up as a human being and did the right thing. If you have the power to do something then it is your duty to help. Conceal and Carry laws go well beyond being cool or wanting to feel safe. It is about helping those around you that cannot help them selves. I applaud them and wish more news like this was passed around. Not everyone that owns a handgun is a mutant psycho that shoots to kill.
trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:08 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15387 wrote:
You're in Houston good for you, check it out...

Utah Department of Public Safety - Bureau of Criminal Identification

http://www.bci.utah.gov/CFP/insoutstate.pdf

This is a list of out of state Utah liscence conceal carry permit instructors. Texas and Utah have a reciprocity with concealed carry permits, which, in a nutshell means that in Texas a Utah permit is as legally valid as a Texas one, cool huh? Oh yea, the good part, the liscence is only $59 for the liscene, and about the same for the class, some instructors run specials. My brother got his through Utah, $50 for the class, and $59 for permit, much better than the $140 for the Texas liscence, and I think $125 for the Texas class.

ha, it just costs more here cuz we have a bigger license and classes, and bigger teachers.Very Happy no really i apreciate all of the info.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:32 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;15392 wrote:
This was a very responsible use of a CPL. They where not being wild renegade they did the right thing. They saw someone that was not able to help them selves so they stepped up as a human being and did the right thing. If you have the power to do something then it is your duty to help. Conceal and Carry laws go well beyond being cool or wanting to feel safe. It is about helping those around you that cannot help them selves. I applaud them and wish more news like this was passed around. Not everyone that owns a handgun is a mutant psycho that shoots to kill.

Very, very true. Think about it, who actually gets CHLs? Law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care about carry permits, gun control laws, "gun free zones" etc...hence the whole criminal thing.

There was a town, somewhere in Illinios, or Kansas or somewhere, that passed a law saying all head of households had to own and maintain a firearm...crime rates drop about 28%, as opposed to a near by city that pretty much banned guns which had it's crime increase about the same. A big deterant to crime is knowing that anyone can have a weapon.
trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:51 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15396 wrote:
Very, very true. Think about it, who actually gets CHLs? Law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care about carry permits, gun control laws, "gun free zones" etc...hence the whole criminal thing.

There was a town, somewhere in Illinios, or Kansas or somewhere, that passed a law saying all head of households had to own and maintain a firearm...crime rates drop about 28%, as opposed to a near by city that pretty much banned guns which had it's crime increase about the same. A big deterant to crime is knowing that anyone can have a weapon.

To play devils advocate, this could also turn into people, instead of fighting with fists, fighting with guns. They are already intending on hurting each other. Gang members have guns and know that thier rivals have guns but still have shootouts. Still pull out thier guns. Back to myself, But this argument can be put to rest with certain evaluations and testings i.e. controll over who is capable of getting a gun, or carrying a gun. Be it mentaly, physicaly, emotionaly, or medically. But then again the guns are still accesible to anyone on the black market. However Being as armed as someone who intends to do harm and with the proper training it could stop crime as well as take some of the presure off of the undermanned police force.
Drakej

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:53 pm
@Silverchild79,
That is a classic example of Detaunt or M.A.D If you know with 99% certainty if you kick this guys door down he is going to meet you with a shotgun full of very nasty buckshot you are going to think really hard if its worth it or not.

In regards to Trapped's comment. If someone even comes at me with a 2x4 or a rock I will do what is necessary to come out of the situation alive. There are no rules in regards to fighting on the streets. You do what you can to protect your self and those around you.
trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:07 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;15401 wrote:

In regards to Trapped's comment. If someone even comes at me with a 2x4 or a rock I will do what is necessary to come out of the situation alive. There are no rules in regards to fighting on the streets. You do what you can to protect your self and those around you.

True, but how will a judge or Jurry see it? It would probably depend on the situation.(or of course how good a lawer you or the other person has defending the case.) Could race come up as an issue? It's sad but this is what our judicial system has come to. There would have to be evidence supporting that you acted out of self defense or in the defense of someone else, justyfiably.(did i spell that right?) Again sad but true.(is it even a word?) sorry i am thinking in text.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:33 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15400 wrote:
To play devils advocate, this could also turn into people, instead of fighting with fists, fighting with guns. They are already intending on hurting each other. Gang members have guns and know that thier rivals have guns but still have shootouts. Still pull out thier guns. Back to myself, But this argument can be put to rest with certain evaluations and testings i.e. controll over who is capable of getting a gun, or carrying a gun. Be it mentaly, physicaly, emotionaly, or medically. But then again the guns are still accesible to anyone on the black market. However Being as armed as someone who intends to do harm and with the proper training it could stop crime as well as take some of the presure off of the undermanned police force.

The only difference is that now law abiding citizens will have guns too. As it is people that are doing no good have them, and if they don't can get them, why shouldn't normal citizens be able to defend themselves?
trappedbyparties

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 08:26 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15416 wrote:
The only difference is that now law abiding citizens will have guns too. As it is people that are doing no good have them, and if they don't can get them, why shouldn't normal citizens be able to defend themselves?

i have no personal reason why we should not. Just throwing out an argument. I love the idea of being able to protect myself, my family, or my freinds. Altho, I don't think that all criminals will be afriad. Some criminals commit these crimes because they are stoned and think they can't be killed, or are just criminaly insane. These types of criminals will attack no matter what. But being able to defend against such an attack.....that is were Lifes could or could not be saved. In my opinion, if i'm going to go down, at least i go down with a fight.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:57 pm
@Silverchild79,
Bring it.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:47 pm
@Silverchild79,
There is a big diffrence between someone carrying a gun to scare someone and someone that is prepared to use it. I was witness to a situation that almost lead to guns being drawn. I was at my local gun range when a rather large man walked in and went to his hip in a very way. Each of the three employees took three steps back and had a good three finger grip on there weapon. You could tell in there eyes that if this man was going to harm someone they where prepared to stop him. That is what the bad guys fear. Not the gun but someone willing to use it.

In my opinion if I am facing an eminent threat the last thing I am thinking about is going to court. I am going to focus on stoping the threat and living through the ordeal. Besides people have been beaten to death with bare hands before. If some guy is approaching me in a threatening manor with any sort of implement I will draw, ask him to stop, ask one more time while backing away. If he decides it is worth it to keep coming well so be it.

Criminals prey on the weak. If you stand your ground and show that you are willing to go the distance, show that you know in your heart that your life is worth more then theres then that swings the odds. You are no longer a crippled sheep for the wolf to prey on.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:18 pm
@Silverchild79,
If someone is carrying to scare people, than that's the wrong answer. But I am a FIRM believer in not pulling unless you are going to kill, and if you can't live with killing someone, do not carry a gun. The only warning shots that should be fired are two to the chest.
Drakej

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:13 pm
@Silverchild79,
That is exactly my point. You do not draw unless you are fully prepared to pull the trigger. That is a basic gun safety rule, if you point at something you better be fully prepared to destroy it.
0 Replies