Hanging my head in shame..........

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 11:04 pm
Now like most people I appreciate a good pizza. I like thin crusts with a zesty sauce smothered in cheese, veggies optional. But, I think pineapple is for deserts and blasphemy on a pie.
It recently came to my attention, my hometown is to blame for this particular insult to good food. apparently, in the late 60's early 70's, pizza was still a new and foreign food in these parts. To appease the white bread tastes of my fellow city dwellers, a local pizza phenomenon created the Hawaiian and it took off. At one time over 40% of the pizzas sold here were of this awful concoction, and then it spread..........
So, is your hometown guilty of a nutty food craze? A delicacy only your neighbours could love? Spill the beans, let us know.
Ceili
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,143 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 01:32 am
Heehee.

Adelaide is the home of a culinary nightmare, known as the "pie-floater".

This delightful concoction is a plate of green pea soup, in which is placed a meat pie. The whole is generally smothered in tomato sauce (you call this "ketchup"?) and consumed on the street, or on stools, as it is purchased from caravanny things which set up shop late at night in a few chosen environments - called "pie-carts".

These cater to the night-crawlers - Adelaideans strung out or wasted on booze, heroin, acid, dope etc, as they crawl out of night-clubs, domiciles, parties and such - and, munchies-crazed, seek salt, fat and protein.

I have partaken once, in the latter stages of an all night acid binge - and the concoction was, indeed, as the afficionadoes claimed, a sovereign remedy for all things wasted and strung out.

Nonetheless, despite many visits accompanying friends, I have not sought to sample again......
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 01:33 am
Japan's "nato." Technically speaking, nato is fermented soy beans in a paste, but I'd rather describe it as regurgitated rat poop in mucus, which is just about what it looks, tastes & smells like. I like most Japanese food, but..... yeccch! Kuso boku tabenai dayo!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 01:15 pm
Too funny Dowlan, I'm reading Terry Prachetts'
"The Last Continent". If you've read him you'll understand his books are silly parodies, or monte pythonesque satires of an alternate universe that closely mirrors earth.
Anywayyy...... He wrote about Meat Pie Floaters and described them pretty much the same way you did but geez, I thought he was just using his over active imagination. I never dreamed this was a culinary posibility.

Monger - nato sounds like poi but since I've had neither mouth watering concotion I'll just have to shudder in ignorance.
0 Replies