took my pistol safety class yesterday

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 03:11 pm
I took my NRA pistol safety class yesterday.

all in all a fun experience.

Now, if i want, i can apply for my concealed carry permit.

I shot a a mag on .22... that was about it.

still have lots to learn about guns, but i have a much better understanding of them now.

even if you don't want to carry or even own a gun, i suggest you all take the class to be more educated about them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 04:00 pm
@briansol,
mmmm the handgun

point and click access to the afterlife

yummy
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:27 pm
@briansol,
Guns are awesome. It's fun to just stand on a range, in the heat, with the sun pounding on ya, making ya sweat like a mule, while you're plugging targets with a gun. It's cathartic and empowering. I always leave the range gratified in a way only guns can engender.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:30 pm
@briansol,
yeah, shooting through the clip was a real rush.

it was a 20ft "range" with a 'walmart' target about 12x16" in size. I hit the target twice. out of the 7 in the mag. lol

oh well, i need to play more duck hunt Very Happy
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:39 pm
@briansol,
briansol;28532 wrote:
yeah, shooting through the clip was a real rush.

it was a 20ft "range" with a 'walmart' target about 12x16" in size. I hit the target twice. out of the 7 in the mag. lol

oh well, i need to play more duck hunt Very Happy

They probably taught you the shooting tactic of pointing, instead of aiming. That's the most common, self-defense, close-quarter technique. A lot of shooters aim, instead, even at close-quarters. I prefer to aim. I knew a guy in the Army Marksmanship Unit who aimed at everything he shot, even during combat-drill competition. If you aim, you'll be a lot more accurate. It's slow, but dead-on. :headbang:
92b16vx

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:10 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;28537 wrote:
They probably taught you the shooting tactic of pointing, instead of aiming. That's the most common, self-defense, close-quarter technique. A lot of shooters aim, instead, even at close-quarters. I prefer to aim. I knew a guy in the Army Marksmanship Unit who aimed at everything he shot, even during combat-drill competition. If you aim, you'll be a lot more accurate. It's slow, but dead-on. :headbang:

Developing point shooting skill takes time. They don't teach it in the Army, though they did start touching on it with most going into urban contact nowadays.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:14 pm
@briansol,
Yeah.....I never learned it myself. I've always aimed, which is why it took me so long to figure out and get comfortable with trap-shooting. Haven't done it in years. Last time I tried, I sucked.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 05:31 pm
@briansol,
Brian, once you learn to operate any firearm expertly, you will know gun safety.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:05 pm
@briansol,
After shooting, I feel totally relaxed, yet self-actualized, as a potential fighter. It's weird. It's sort of like sex, I guess -- catharsis mixed with empowerment. It's like being born again through destruction.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:29 am
@briansol,
The class was not about HOW to shoot, it was about safety, education of the gun's parts (both revolvers and semi's), how to load, clean, safely store, transport, and so on.

shooting off some clips afterwards was just an added bonus.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:07 am
@briansol,
briansol;28690 wrote:
The class was not about HOW to shoot, it was about safety, education of the gun's parts (both revolvers and semi's), how to load, clean, safely store, transport, and so on.

Man, keep shooting, reading about shooting, buying guns, and delving into the culture. You want more than just a .22. And don't forget -- shoot, shoot, shoot. Develop a keen sensitivity as to how your guns shoot, to become as accurate as you possibly can. It's all about accuracy. He who hits everything at which he shoots is a force to be reckoned with. Where the bullets land is the ultimate truth. I've shot with all sorts of people, some fools, some true experts. It all comes down to accuracy. :AR15firing: :AR15firing: :AR15firing: :AR15firing: :AR15firing:
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:25 am
@briansol,
briansol;28690 wrote:

Ah, yes - like foreplay leading to the eventual Nirvana.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:26 pm
@briansol,
kharmshootra? Very Happy
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:48 pm
@briansol,
You get an atta boy for that
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:26 pm
@briansol,
Dang.....I went shooting again, today -- .38 and .357 Magnum. Accuracy with a revolver is a different animal from that with an automatic. It took about 25 rounds for me to figure it out.

It just dawned on me.......
I'm not that crazy about revolvers.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
@briansol,
Pino I know you and 92B will get a kick out of what my father, the WWII marine and police officer used to tell me and my brother when we were very young - "Boys, a man is not a man until he lines up another man in his rifle sights and pulls the trigger." No chit.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:25 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;28806 wrote:
Pino I know you and 92B will get a kick out of what my father, the WWII marine and police officer used to tell me and my brother when we were very young - "Boys, a man is not a man until he lines up another man in his rifle sights and pulls the trigger." No chit.

That's an awesome quote. Yeah....a combat vet who has seen the real deal has a very different perspective from that of a peace-time vet. I am the latter. I have tons of respect for those who actually fought. Admittedly, the two times the Army told me I was going to combat, I nearly chit my britches, albeit very privately. I tried to look excited and happy, but down deep, I was scared half to death. Both times, I wasn't deployed. :peace:
0 Replies