Absolute determinism and the illusion of free will.

jonat3

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 02:31 pm
Quote:
Well, let's be quite clear here: I am willing to concede that the physical universe is composed solely of matter and energy. There are, however, more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your science, jonat.

Well, that is your opinion and right to believe.

Quote:
Perhaps the problem here is a lack of common understanding concerning the notion of "free will." Typically, "free will" is understood as meaning the presence of some sort of volitional choice. Thus, for instance, if I am able either to lift my arm or not lift my arm, and I can choose to lift my arm, then it can be said that I have free will. In contrast, if I have no choice whether or not to raise my arm, then I do not have free will.

Now, the addition of a "random element" in any kind of predetermined material sequence (we'll stick with ABC) does nothing to obviate its character as a predetermined sequence. In other words, if ABC is not within a person's ability to choose, the addition of a similarly un-chooseable element, such as X, does nothing to make the sequence ABCX un-determined. After all, if I can't choose ABC because it's predetermined, and I can't choose ABCX because it's predetermined and random, then I am equally unable to choose either one. Randomness, then, does not alter the fundamental nature of the sequence as being determined; it just makes it determined and random.

What does it mean to have free will? To have free will at least two conditions must be met.
1.We must have two or more possibilities 'genuinely open' to us when we face a choice; and
2.our choice must not be 'forced'.

ABC is forced to a set answer. I already gave the example that A=1, B=2 and C=3. The result would then be 1x2x3=6. 6 would ALWAYS be the answer to this equation. However ABCX has no set value, it's answer would be 6X. Since X is random, X does not have the power to force ABCX to a set value. That meets condition 2. And since ABCX has a different value each time, it would mean that condition 1 is met, meaning two or more possibilities are available.
ABCX meets both condition 1 and 2. That one has no power to choose X has nothing to do with it. X actually empowers us to have free will, not negate it.

Quote:
Well, let's assume that you're right. If "love" is either matter or energy, then it can be measured. So what measure is appropriate for assessing and quantifying "love"?

If love is either matter or energy it can be measured. However if i could devise a method to do so, i would then be incredibly rich. Heck, i would then even be able to defeat death itself if i was smart enough to do that.

Quote:
Nonsense. Beliefs are profitably argued all the time.

Well, it would still be useless IMO, but i do admit arguing makes life more interesting.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 02:52 pm
The cadaver is thinking "why don't they let me rest in peace" !

....but seriously though guys you both seem to be involved in classic arguments about reductionism and/or dualism. On the face of it the "free will" arena is significantly about "morality" with "thought" as "given". Any sub-analysis tends to bring up the whole shooting match of the status of "sense data" and the relationship between neural structure and neural function, about which (despite recent advances) we actually "know" next to nothing. Talking about "free will" on the basis of "neural activity" is equivalent to talking about "music" on the basis of "the physics of sound". (This may even be a "category mistake" in the Gilbert Ryle sense who uses the analogy of the "tourist" who having been shown round various Oxford colleges and libraries asks "but where is the university ?")
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 02:55 pm
(sorry crossing your posts)
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 03:00 pm
Quote:
....but seriously though guys you both seem to be involved in classic arguments about reductionism and/or dualism. On the face of it the "free will" arena is significantly about "morality" with "thought" as "given". Any sub-analysis tends to bring up the whole shooting match of the status of "sense data" and the relationship between neural structure and neural function, about which (despite recent advances) we actually "know" next to nothing. Talking about "free will" on the basis of "neural activity" is equivalent to talking about "music" on the basis of "the physics of sound". (This may even be a "category mistake" in the Gilbert Ryle sense who uses the analogy of the "tourist" who having been shown round various Oxford colleges and libraries asks "but where is the university ?")

If the universe exists out of either matter or energy, that would imply that thought is also a product of matter or energy or both. For christ sake, we even originated from a strand of DNA which is a large molecule!
A molecule which consists of matter and energy can suddenly produce something (thought) which is neither matter or energy? That is illogical. I don't even have to know the specific reactions of what thought is, but i can sure deduce that thought must be a result of A reaction or perhaps even a reaction itself!

Of course some are of the opinion that there exists more than matter or energy out there. But that's another story.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 03:09 pm
jonat

The very idea that "matter and energy" are the last word in "existence" is "naive realism" in extremis !
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
Quote:
jonat

The very idea that "matter and energy" are the last word in "existence" is "naive realism" in extremis !

Well, there sure aren't any indications that there exists anything besides matter or energy.
And besides, my original argument was that free will requires randomness in the universe. If there is a third element or more out there, it's existence and behaviour will likely also be explainable. So even if it does exist it must contain an element of randomness for free will to exist.
Or maybe it doesn't exist and the randomness is contained in matter. Or it may exist and the randomness is contained in the third element, or both, etc. Anyway, that there may be more elements out there changes nothing about the fact that free will requires randomness.
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 04:20 pm
Controles

Your computer parrallel fails on the good scientific fact that integrated circuits are dependant on quantum effects and quantum effects are by no means deterministic.

IMHO determinism is a sterile doctrine at best. Why try to find answers if it is already decided which answers you will find? Why do anything or believe anything or trust anything if we have no choice in that which is done, believed, or trusted and it has already been laid down for us?

But on a simple level, the question that invalidates your argument for you as a person is this: Do you look before you turn across the traffic (I'll bet you do) and if you do, why? If it is already determined what will happen then looking or not looking will not effect the outcome, why bother?

And finally, in a universe that contains chance events, determinism would be counter survival. Therefore the fact that humans exist and continue to exist means that either we have never been 'pre-set' or if we were then those who did not change are now extinct. And that ability to change is itself non-deterministic!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 05:35 pm
jonat3

"matter" "energy" "randomness" and "explanation"
are bedmates in our pre-occupation with prediction and control. Other "apes" seem to get on quite well without them !

To all

Question: Why don't we ask if an ape or any other "animal" has "free will" ?

Answer: Because the concept ONLY has relevance to human social interactions and has nothing to do with neural circuitry, or survival, etc.

We are on murky quasi-religious territory here NOT in the synthetic clinical cocoon of empiricism.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 05:40 pm
Are we, fresco? I know you wouldn't ask it, but do you think an ape has the ability to choose its actions?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 05:47 pm
You miss the point Rufio.

When we ask if an ape has "choice" we do not use the expression "free will", unless we are being perversely anthropomorphic. That distinction in usage is "my point".
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 05:55 pm
Quote:
jonat3

"matter" "energy" "randomness" and "explanation"
are bedmates in our pre-occupation with prediction and control. Other "apes" seem to get on quite well without them !

True enough. Even if the universe were deterministic, it wouldn't change much overall for us. The world would be much the same. But hey, a message board is all about arguing useless things, is it not?

Quote:
To all

Question: Why don't we ask if an ape or any other "animal" has "free will" ?

Answer: Because the concept ONLY has relevance to human social interactions and has nothing to do with neural circuitry, or survival, etc.

I think free will has to do with everything concerning humans. That includes sociology, neural circuitry and survival and anything else. Not just the sociology part. We are not asking the animal, since we won't understand what it is going to answer anyway and it probably won't understand the question. That's why we can only ask ourselves. If we have it, the animal also has it.

Quote:
We are on murky quasi-religious territory here NOT in the synthetic clinical cocoon of empiricism.

I rather think about it as inductive reasoning. Inductive reasoning can't be proven effectively, but it CAN give a few hints to the concept. It's like Galileo who claimed that the earth revolved around the sun, even though he couldn't actually prove it. But he was right in the end.
Not saying that i'm right, but inductive reasoning CAN be useful.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 06:25 pm
I would use free will to refer to an eggbeater if anyone could put up a convincing arguement for it.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:07 am
jonat3

When you use "right" and "proof" you are assuming the objective existence of "facts". That is naive realism.

I, on the other hand, approach this question, from a viewpoint of a socially constructed reality in which "the universe" is replaced with "universe of discourse". I am saying that concepts like "free will" are more adequately "dealt with" from this standpoint than from yours.
(BTW I read somewhere that the Pope at the time was no fool and saw Galileo as a naive realist who didn't appreciate the "social problem" he might cause irrespective of his more "elegant" model.)
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:31 am
Quote:
jonat3

When you use "right" and "proof" you are assuming the objective existence of "facts". That is naive realism.

I, on the other hand, approach this question, from a viewpoint of a socially constructed reality in which "the universe" is replaced with "universe of discourse". I am saying that concepts like "free will" are more adequately "dealt with" from this standpoint than from yours.
(BTW I read somewhere that the Pope at the time was no fool and saw Galileo as a naive realist who didn't appreciate the "social problem" he might cause irrespective of his more "elegant" model.)

I am aware of what you are trying to say. You are referring to the fact that scientists still tend to see physical laws as prescriptive, while they are only descriptive in nature. I am already aware of this. That is why i didn't deny that sociology has something to do with the concept of free will. However, i object that sociology is the only thing to do with free will.
I have always tried to look at things not only from our viewpoint as humans, but also from the viewpoint of the universe itself. And IMO reality is that everything universal is connected to anything human. Humanity IS part of the universe, they are NOT seperate entities.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:04 am
jonat3 wrote:
What does it mean to have free will? To have free will at least two conditions must be met.
1.We must have two or more possibilities 'genuinely open' to us when we face a choice; and
2.our choice must not be 'forced'.

You've left something out. In order for there to be free will, there must be the ability to choose.

jonat3 wrote:
ABC is forced to a set answer. I already gave the example that A=1, B=2 and C=3. The result would then be 1x2x3=6. 6 would ALWAYS be the answer to this equation. However ABCX has no set value, it's answer would be 6X. Since X is random, X does not have the power to force ABCX to a set value. That meets condition 2. And since ABCX has a different value each time, it would mean that condition 1 is met, meaning two or more possibilities are available.

No, it does not meet your conditions at all.

Centroles has argued that neurological processes cause thoughts, so that the process preceeds the corresponding thought. You, jonat, have been somewhat vague on this point, suggesting that the material process is somehow simultaneous with the thought. As such, your position on "causation" is still unclear.

Nevertheless, it seems evident that you regard material processes to be, in some sense, causative. In particular, you hold that free will is dependent upon material processes that are, at least in part, "random." Consequently, we can surmise that this randomness, as it pertains to material processes, is a necessary condition for free will.

But, as you've described it, jonat, there is no "freedom" in your "free will." A material process that contains a random element (the X in the sequence ABCX) still determines a corresponding thought in the actor (presumably the thought ABCX). The actor, however, is not capable of choosing X: thus, the actor is just as determined by the material "random" process ABCX as he would be by a material "non-random" process ABC. The difference between the two is merely the level of predictability, not the character of "determinedness."

In effect, then, you've posited a "choice" without the ability to choose. In much the same way that Henry Ford offered car buyers a choice of colors, "as long as it was black," you've created a Hobson's choice model of free will, where an actor can choose anything he wants, as long as it's the "random" material process that determines his actions. Your version of "free will," in sum, lacks both "freedom" and "will." Thus, you are clearly wrong when you state:
jonat3 wrote:
That one has no power to choose X has nothing to do with it. X actually empowers us to have free will, not negate it.

The random element that you posit has nothing whatsoever to do with free will. At most, it makes our actions random, not free.

jonat3 wrote:
If love is either matter or energy it can be measured. However if i could devise a method to do so, i would then be incredibly rich. Heck, i would then even be able to defeat death itself if i was smart enough to do that.

Once again, you are far too modest. Clearly, you know that love is either matter or energy. Certainly, there is some reason for this confidence, even if you can't devise a method of measuring the physical properties of love. What, then, causes you to believe that love is either matter or energy?
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:27 am
Quote:
You've left something out. In order for there to be free will, there must be the ability to choose.

I can see the misunderstanding here. Actually you are right, but what is the ability to choose? If one would analyze that, one would see that condition 1 and 2 combined would be the ability to choose. And that is where you misunderstand, since you see the ability to choose as a 3rd condition, while it is a combination of both 1 and 2.

Quote:
No, it does not meet your conditions at all.

Centroles has argued that neurological processes cause thoughts, so that the process preceeds the corresponding thought. You, jonat, have been somewhat vague on this point, suggesting that the material process is somehow simultaneous with the thought. As such, your position on "causation" is still unclear.

Nevertheless, it seems evident that you regard material processes to be, in some sense, causative. In particular, you hold that free will is dependent upon material processes that are, at least in part, "random." Consequently, we can surmise that this randomness, as it pertains to material processes, is a necessary condition for free will.

But, as you've described it, jonat, there is no "freedom" in your "free will." A material process that contains a random element (the X in the sequence ABCX) still determines a corresponding thought in the actor (presumably the thought ABCX). The actor, however, is not capable of choosing X: thus, the actor is just as determined by the material "random" process ABCX as he would be by a material "non-random" process ABC. The difference between the two is merely the level of predictability, not the character of "determinedness."

In effect, then, you've posited a "choice" without the ability to choose. In much the same way that Henry Ford offered car buyers a choice of colors, "as long as it was black," you've created a Hobson's choice model of free will, where an actor can choose anything he wants, as long as it's the "random" material process that determines his actions. Your version of "free will," in sum, lacks both "freedom" and "will."

I believe i adequately explained the misunderstanding with above argument.

Quote:
The random element that you posit has nothing whatsoever to do with free will. At most, it makes our actions random, not free.

See above argument.

Quote:
Once again, you are far too modest. Clearly, you know that love is either matter or energy. Certainly, there is some reason for this confidence, even if you can't devise a method of measuring the physical properties of love. What, then, causes you to believe that love is either matter or energy?

I believe that scientist have already accomplished to view a molecule or atom with an electron microscope. So matter definately exists. Energy also exists. A 3rd element hasn't been found yet (or one might say that ant-matter is the 3rd element, but i believe it consists of particles as well, that are similar to those found in matter).
One problem with understanding reality is that people don't know how to break situations into it's base components. Only if you understand the base components can you understand the overall picture .Your misunderstanding with condition 1 and 2 is a good example. Matter and Energy are (for now) the base components of the universe. And i'm working with the belief that that is all there is. That's why i'm reasonably certain.
Remember, inductive reasoning can't be proven, but it CAN point to the thruth. Some scientists only used inductive reasoning and were later proven right (example: Galileo). The methods you are asking for are a product of deductive reasoning. To be able to do it at that level i must have an incredible knowledge of methods, instruments used, etc. People already have difficulty devising a method to defeat cancer. Devising a method for what you ask is even more difficult. It is unreasonable.

On a message board talking about a mysterious concept like free will one can only use inductive reasoning, that is all we can do. However, reasoning is based on logic. If the logic is incorrect, so is the reasoning.

I'm not saying that i'm right (requires deductive reasoning), i'm saying i MAY be right.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 03:00 pm
great post jonat3,

i would even farther than this though. i would go so far as to say,

based on the evidence we have now, you beliefs are more right than the alternatives.

right and wrong can never be determined to a certainity. nothing can be determined to a certainity. one can only go by the evidence that they have and can thus ONLY reach a conclusion using inductive reasoning.

and until new evidence proves otherwise, the conclusion reached used inductive reasoning should be accepted as the most likely scenario
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 03:58 pm
And I will continue fastening my seat belt, looking both ways before crossing street, etc., just in case my life has not been predetermined----thank you. :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:33 pm
truth
How did I miss this thread? Too late to try to catch up. I'll just jump in with the following thoughts: This is truly the perennial problem. How many times has this thread been reincarnated? It seems to me that when I look at the present situation with reference to all the possible causal processes of the past, the present seems predetermined. It could not have come out differently than it has because things HAVE turned out to be as they presently are. Yet when I look from this present perspective to imagined possible futures, free will feels right, i.e., future conditions will be determined (caused) by my present actions. Actually, I do believe that humans need to think about the events and situations of their lives as "caused." Causality (like time and space) is a fundamental apriori category of human thought. Philosophically, however, it is problematical. I do not think we live in a deterministic universe. Causation is how we think, not how the universe works.
Just as I say that causation in human thought does not indicate a deterministic world, I would also argue that randomness in nature in no way supports the arguement for free will. They are totally different matters.
I like the more mystical orientation. Free will reflects not randomness; it reflects (as observed above) the illusion of an ego/agent that acts on the world or is acted upon by the world. At the same time, I feel that I AM nature (the universe) and that nature's unintended behavior is my spontaneous behavior even though such behavior is necessarily "explained" by me in terms of causation.
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:51 pm
Quote:
Just as I say that causation in human thought does not indicate a deterministic world, I would also argue that randomness in nature in no way supports the arguement for free will. They are totally different matters.

They are different, because you believe it to be. Logic however supports this notion.

The universe can be divided in two things. The explainable and unexplainable. All that is explainable is deterministic in essence.
With choice where one has 2 or more possibilities, it is a rule that one cannot determine which road will be taken. However if anything in the universe was explainable, one could explain the reason that particular choice was taken. Do you see? Everything would be pre-determined then.
But what part of the universe is unexplainable then? Only a truly random element in the universe is unexplainable. Nothing else. Only something which has no set behaviour pattern (random element) is truly unexplainable. If it had a set behaviour pattern, it's future behaviour pattern could be predicted. It would then be deterministic.

So, in short, free will REQUIRES a random element in the universe.
0 Replies