How Canadian are you?

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:57 am
Might this apply to America society as well?

How Canadian are you?globeandmail.com: How Canadian are you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,737 • Replies: 27
No top replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:03 pm
@z0z0,
I live about 5 miles from the Canadian border. I find you guys are too liberal.Very Happy
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:35 pm
@z0z0,
There is nothing wrong with being socially "Liberal". Can you explain what you mean by Liberal and what is bad about it?

Maybe we are just more socially evolved than Americans. We were close to decriminalizing marijuana and your George Bush pushed our government not to do it.

The one thing that I do not like about our society is discussed in the article - our multiculturalism hinders people from having a sense of being Canadian. We are nowhere near as patriotic and nationalistic as Americans - but that could be a good thing as well.
Brent cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:44 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
and your George Bush pushed our government not to do it.

Sucks your own country has no balls to stand up for its own laws.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:19 pm
@z0z0,
Who has the balls to stand up to the USA? Like Iraq?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:02 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;9217 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with being socially "Liberal". Can you explain what you mean by Liberal and what is bad about it?

Maybe we are just more socially evolved than Americans. We were close to decriminalizing marijuana and your George Bush pushed our government not to do it.

The one thing that I do not like about our society is discussed in the article - our multiculturalism hinders people from having a sense of being Canadian. We are nowhere near as patriotic and nationalistic as Americans - but that could be a good thing as well.

What do you mean " socially evolved" Is that a dig?
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:08 pm
@z0z0,
Socially evolved =

1. We are Diplomats and Peacekeepers. We believe in finding mutually beneficial solutions to problems. One of our Prime Ministers - Pearson I believe won the Nobel Peace prize for setting up the concept of peacekeeping.

2. Universal Healthcare - which I know is abused and could be fixed but we believe everyone should have access to healthcare.

3. We are laissez-faire about small vices in life. Marijuana and Prostitution are not a big deal. Many of us want to decriminalize / legalize both.

4. We know that we are part of the world and not the masters of the world. We know how to play with the other kids in the schoolyard - we are not the schoolyard bullies.

That is just to start
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:31 pm
@z0z0,
1. I agree. You're country is non-aggressive.

2 You're healthcare system isn't exactly a state-of-the- art system. It has a lot of flaws you fail to mention.

3 That is a trademark liberal ideology.

4. Same as No.1.

By all means continue.:cool:
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;9222 wrote:
Who has the balls to stand up to the USA? Like Iraq?

What do you mean? You can't even pass your own laws regarding the legalization of marijuana because of another country. You equate passing a law like legalizing marijuana to Iraq standing up to us? That's genius.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:01 pm
@z0z0,
Tumbleweed and Brent - Thank you for showing the superficial arrogance of the typical American.

Romans and the British thought in the same way as you do - but we all know where their empires ended up.

Pertaining to decriminalization of marijuana - do you think we have true sovereign power over something like that? When Bush-buy picks up the phone and says you will do what I say - can anyone really say no - especially when about 75% of our trade is with the US.

By the way - stupid superficial arrogance does not win you a lot of friends - but then again you probably do not care. For the record - for the most part - I do like the US and I do like Americans. Try not to prove me wrong - Drnaline is already showing off the dark intellectual underbelly of the US.

As for our healthcare - it might be flawed but no system is perfect (I stated that in my post). At least up here noone loses their home and life-savings if they get sick and no HMO will tell us that it is not cost-effective to heal/cure us. Tell me why your system is better (flawless?).

Socially evolved - I guess we are - even you state that we are non-aggressive. Thank you. We have learned how to live like civilized people. That is why the murder rate up here is less than 1/4 of the murder rate you folks have. Living in a society you need to know how to live with one another rather than thinking you are still in the jungle and only the strongest survive.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:11 am
@z0z0,
zozo

Who said ours was better or flawless? :wtf:

I know a lot of Canadians. I have family in Canada, so you can't bullshit me on matters to do with Canada. You can't come on here bragging that your system is any better than ours.

We like our system just as much as you like your system.If you want a pissing contest about who is better, you need to look at the facts.

Why to hell would you need a big military when your biggest trading partner and sister country would consider an attack on you the same as an attack on us? You're riding our coat tail on this issue.

Socially evolved.Is this some Newfie joke? Sounds like a Red Green script.Your not better, you're different.

I already explained some of the flaws in your healthcare system but you have you're earmuffs on so you can't hear or don't remember what I said about it.

Others on this board might not be as familiar with your country and your lifestyle the same as I am.I can see mountain ranges in New Brunswick from my house.Don't try to tell me **** about Canada I know to be different.

As for you gd TV programming. It sucks.Very Happy
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
@z0z0,
Did you not read what I said? Here it is again

"2. Universal Healthcare - which I know is abused and could be fixed but we believe everyone should have access to healthcare."
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:56 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
Tumbleweed and Brent - Thank you for showing the superficial arrogance of the typical American.

Pass your own laws that affect only your people without other leaders of other countries stopping you and then get back to me.

Arrogance? Sure. Am I right though?
Brent cv

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:57 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
"2. Universal Healthcare - which I know is abused and could be fixed but we believe everyone should have access to healthcare."

I believe that too. However obviously you guys didn't get it right when you did it, yet you expect us to hurry up and pass something just to have it with the outcome likely to be just an abused system like you guys have?
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:07 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent;9278 wrote:
Pass your own laws that affect only your people without other leaders of other countries stopping you and then get back to me.

Arrogance? Sure. Am I right though?

What is right is one thing.
What is possible is another.

What America wants = America gets

... for a while.

The nice thing about Canada is that it will be a bastion of freedom where smart Americans will be able to "Go off the grid" after the Fascist Powers of the US government start micro-chipping and tracking everyone after martial law is declared to fight the "enemy".
Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:21 pm
@z0z0,
"The nice thing about Canada is that it will be a bastion of freedom where smart Americans will be able to "Go off the grid" after the Fascist Powers of the US government start micro-chipping and tracking everyone after martial law is declared to fight the "enemy"."

Do you honestly believe that would happen ? If so , please tell us how .
Drnaline

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:30 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;9232 wrote:

Romans and the British thought in the same way as you do - but we all know where their empires ended up.

Pertaining to decriminalization of marijuana - do you think we have true sovereign power over something like that? When Bush-buy picks up the phone and says you will do what I say - can anyone really say no - especially when about 75% of our trade is with the US.

By the way - stupid superficial arrogance does not win you a lot of friends - but then again you probably do not care. For the record - for the most part - I do like the US and I do like Americans. Try not to prove me wrong - Drnaline is already showing off the dark intellectual underbelly of the US.

As for our healthcare - it might be flawed but no system is perfect (I stated that in my post). At least up here noone loses their home and life-savings if they get sick and no HMO will tell us that it is not cost-effective to heal/cure us. Tell me why your system is better (flawless?).

Socially evolved - I guess we are - even you state that we are non-aggressive. Thank you. We have learned how to live like civilized people. That is why the murder rate up here is less than 1/4 of the murder rate you folks have. Living in a society you need to know how to live with one another rather than thinking you are still in the jungle and only the strongest survive.
Quote:
Try not to prove me wrong - Drnaline is already showing off the dark intellectual underbelly of the US.

I guess this is my que to come in.
Quote:

Are you under the impression that your comments are not "superficial arrogance?"
Quote:

Probably the same place your country is going to end up if the US ever gets beaten. Your vantage point comes from the point of privelidge. Guess who provides that privie?
Quote:
Pertaining to decriminalization of marijuana - do you think we have true sovereign power over something like that?

If you don't then that means Canada is our bitch. Your not sovereign your a subject.
Quote:
When Bush-buy picks up the phone and says you will do what I say - can anyone really say no

Yup, a person with principle would. Must not be alot of that up there if it is so easily compromised.
Quote:
especially when about 75% of our trade is with the US.

Who's fault is that, are's or yours?
Quote:
By the way - stupid superficial arrogance does not win you a lot of friends

Your making plenty friends over here aren't you?
Quote:
but then again you probably do not care. For the record - for the most part - I do like the US and I do like Americans.

Yeah we seem to get that alot around here. People that like us come in here saying we are being dumbed down, our administration is fucked up, were corrupt and arrogent, stupidly religious. It's nice to know we have another friend. Did i ask you if your were french?
Quote:
Socially evolved - I guess we are - even you state that we are non-aggressive. Thank you.

You "guess" or you are? Your not sure? Non aggressive, good one.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:33 pm
@z0z0,
Curmudgeon;9286 wrote:

Yes I do.

American is becoming a fascist state.
America today has more police than the Soviet Union ever had.

A government has no power over law-abiding citizens and therefore it needs to have as many become criminals as possible. Once you are a convicted criminal you can't vote. Your fingerprints are on file. The state has total control over you. For this reason America has the dumbest drug laws. For this reason - some speculate - the government itself is behind the biggest drug dealers. The government actually wants people to be arrested for drugs and get criminal records. Who do you think will get micro-chipped first?

You might say "who cares about the criminals - they get what they deserve". What happens to average Americans who through the materialistic wants based economy / culture become literal slaves to debt? What happens when it becomes a crime if you can't repay your debts?

Lastly - who do you think the FEMA concentration camps are being designed for?

You think I am out to lunch? Tell me why do people get arrested for "political protest" in the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Think about this - the people of Germany had no clue about what was happening until it was too late (1930s). The people of the Soviet Union actually put into power the people that would eventually enslave them.
Drnaline

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:36 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;9286 wrote:
"The nice thing about Canada is that it will be a bastion of freedom where smart Americans will be able to "Go off the grid" after the Fascist Powers of the US government start micro-chipping and tracking everyone after martial law is declared to fight the "enemy"."

I'm sure we havent heard the tip of the iceberg. Those Canadians have to much time on there hands.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:37 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;9283 wrote:
What is right is one thing.
What is possible is another.

What America wants = America gets

... for a while.

The nice thing about Canada is that it will be a bastion of freedom where smart Americans will be able to "Go off the grid" after the Fascist Powers of the US government start micro-chipping and tracking everyone after martial law is declared to fight the "enemy".

I understand it must be frustrating to not have hardly any power over your own country. That starts with you and the citizens though. Stop electing people into office that get pushed around so easily Wink
0 Replies