R-rated movies lure white teens into smoking?

mousy

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:02 pm
CHICAGO, March 5 (Reuters Life!) - White U.S. teenagers who watch a lot of R-rated movies or have unsupervised access to TV shows appear more likely than similar black youths to start smoking cigarettes, a study found on Monday.

Researchers found that white adolescents with the most exposure to R-rated movies were nearly seven times more likely to have started smoking compared to those with less exposure.

Even after taking into account such things as having a friend who smoked, lack of parental guidance or doing poorly in school, those who watched more R-rated movies were still three times more likely to start smoking, the study found. In theaters, anyone age 16 or younger who attends an R-rated movie must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.

White adolescents allowed unsupervised television viewing were also more likely to start smoking, the study said.

But among black adolescents in the study there was no similar impact for restricted movies or unfettered TV viewing.

While the reason for the racial difference is not known, one factor could be that viewers prefer characters "who are similar to themselves in sex, age or race," something that begins in childhood, said the report, which was published in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.

"Because the majority of contemporary screen actors are white, it follows that experiencing identification and subsequent involvement in the narratives of popular movies and television programs is less likely among black adolescents than among white," the study concluded.

The study said today's movies depict actors smoking as often as in the 1950s. Continued...
R-rated movies lure white teens into smoking? | Oddly Enough | Reuters
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rhopper3

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 12:23 pm
@mousy,
I've been hearing this kind of stuff since I was a teen....no laughing darn it.....Kids biggest enemies are peer pressure from other kids first and then examples set by adults. Movies and songs do not make people smoke, drink or vote for Ralph Nader
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:23 am
@mousy,
Quote:
White adolescents allowed unsupervised television viewing were also more likely to start smoking, the study said.

Stop blaming everyone but the parents. If you believe there is a tie then don't let your kids watch R rated movies or at least talk some sense into them.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:56 pm
@mousy,
Good point, I think the reason I don't smoke is because both my parents were non smokers. A lot of my older relatives smoked and smoked a lot, because in the 70s the anti-smoking trend was just catching on. My Dad once told me that he would rather catch me drinking than smoking cigerettes, because it was less vulgar and easier to quit.
0 Replies