Unconquered Russia

tolio

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 04:38 pm
We've seen in history that no one conquered Russia although many tried. First Napoleon was trying to conquer Russia and even that he was one of the most advanced military strategists at time he didn't think about Russian winter. Then Hitler came along and he did the same mistake. Now the question is if both Hitler and Napoleon started their conquering Russia campaing a little earlier would they succeed ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 10:11 pm
@tolio,
I think they just both got ahead of themselves, and probably had a little ego problem.

Ah, mother nature? Who cares, I'm Napoleon!
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:38 pm
@tolio,
tolio;3996 wrote:
We've seen in history that no one conquered Russia although many tried. First Napoleon was trying to conquer Russia and even that he was one of the most advanced military strategists at time he didn't think about Russian winter. Then Hitler came along and he did the same mistake. Now the question is if both Hitler and Napoleon started their conquering Russia campaing a little earlier would they succeed ?

Russia is also very smart and very aware of there special land and weather situation. I know with the Nazis, they basically led them further and further into the country, drawing the supply lines long for Germany and shorter for the Reds, then pretty much cut the supply line completely, leaving the German army pretty much stranded and lacking sufficient winter gear. Cold weather is very de-moralizing, especialy in a strange land. I think the leaders of Russia were always very aware of thier unique geography and used it to thier advantage.
0 Replies