The Thirteenth Floor?

Life

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:24 pm
Have you ever been on the thirteenth FLOOR? Many BUILDINGS I've been in omitt this number, I SPECULATE as to why? Is it myths or superstitions embedded in our psychi?
Is it documention of a history of Bad occurence(s) associated with the number?
Is it a practice WORLD-WIDE?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,317 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:54 pm
@Life,
I, indeed, have been on several thirteenth floors.

It is a myth. Why, I don't know. Google is your friend buddy.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 11:05 pm
@Life,
Get a Life , LIFE !!
Who doesn't know something about 13??
Google should give you plenty to read on the subject . It is , of course simply superstition . Most buildings nowadays do not omit the 13th floor .
Life

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:15 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
Get a Life , LIFE !!
Who doesn't know something about 13??
Google should give you plenty to read on the subject . It is , of course simply superstition .

If Goggle has so much info.. makes me question if its MORE than superstition...the origin of/for the fear?
I wiLL do some research

Quote:
Most buildings nowadays do not omit the 13th floor .

In the United States?
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 05:13 pm
@Life,
Who really cares? What does simple superstition have to do with politics?

Hell, I'm OCD as it gets. I keep shoes in the new box, wrapped in the paper with the paper stuffed in the toes. I have to end stairs on my right foot. My windows in my car must both be the exact same height, be it all the way up, all the way down, or exactly half way. There are lots of other things that drive me crazy as well. But does that have anything to do with politics? Perhaps those quirks of mine explain why I tend to vote more conservatively.
Curmudgeon

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 03:19 pm
@ndjs,
I suggest Google to you simply because they will supply you with thousands of sources of info about any subject . You will have to decide for yourself if the info you gather is truth , fiction , myth , or simply BS .
Like using Wikipedia , the entries are vast and sometimes unsupported ny links to proven sources .

Quote:
Most buildings nowadays do not omit the 13th floor .

In the United States?

Yes , in the US . My experiences in Europe , Africa , and the MIddle east were 35 years ago , so may be out of date , but IIRC the 13th floor was not always avoided then .
A person could get confused in England and France , where the ground floor is not called the first floor ! The first floor above the ground floor is the first in many cases .
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:24 pm
@Life,
iirc?

since when did abbreviations take the place of normal words?

stupid lols and rofls
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm
@Life,
iirc -> if i recall correctly.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 01:04 am
@Life,
Sorry Jtuab , I don't often use such things . Mea Culpa .
Life

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:39 pm
@Curmudgeon,
William F. Dankenbring

It is well known that the number “13” is the number of the United States of
America. The United States began with 13 colonies. The original U.S. flag had 13 stars,
representing the initial 13 states. It also contained 13 stripes, 7 red and 6 white.
The American “seal” also bears witness to the number “13” in its composition.
Over the breast of the eagle on the United States seal is a shield – the shield of
FAITH. It has thirteen stripes or bars, red and white, signifying the number “13” – the
number of the original American colonies."

If 13 is UNLUCKY? AMERICA WILL TELL
jatuab

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 02:49 pm
@Life,
Life;4024 wrote:

That's ridiculous. If 13 was unlucky, then any person who ever used the number 13 would be up the creek. Where do you get these ideas from? You should be a fiction writer.
NaterG

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 03:28 pm
@jatuab,
jatuab;4035 wrote:
That's ridiculous. If 13 was unlucky, then any person who ever used the number 13 would be up the creek. Where do you get these ideas from? You should be a fiction writer.

13 was always my number when I played sports, never had anything tragic happen while whereing the shirt, and I was always a decent player.
0 Replies