Fate of the Middle Class?

Life

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 06:41 pm
I don't understand much about PoLITICS yet I have a few questions and thoughts about the ILLEGAL immigration situation..for example, what of the "MIDDLE CLASS" if extremely cheap labor continues, as it widens the gap, even more, amongst the rich and poor? How LONG before the MIDDLE CLASS is tumbling down to join the poor.

Thread question SHOULD READ: Will the Middle Class be most affected by illegal Immigration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,602 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:44 pm
@Life,
Well, I can't see the upper class being very affected by anything.

I am tempted to say the working lower class would be most affected. They are the ones who need the low paying jobs that the upper class has deemed "jobs that no American wants to work."
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 09:48 pm
@Life,
I would tend to agree with you NDJS. With the flood of illegals how is a citizen dropout supposed to get and keep a low wage job when some mo will do it for half? I voted no.
Life

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 09:02 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
I would tend to agree with you NDJS. With the flood of illegals how is a citizen dropout supposed to get and keep a low wage job when some mo will do it for half? I voted no.

But how Long before some mo is CAPABLE of performing the jobs of the MIDDLE CLASS/and for dirt cheap wages?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:08 pm
@Life,
I would guess, longer then jumping the border and laying low and hoping your legalization will materialize before you. They don't like speaking the language enough to learn it in most cases i see every day. I have a hard time finding some one to tell me where to drop off some building materials for contruction jobs.
Life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 05:23 pm
@Drnaline,
I have not heard any debate on the possible consequences to the citizens of a country that accepts "cheap wages" as standard-MORAL/ETHICAL.

American business ALREADY FLOCK to third WORLD countries for cheap Labor. :FU1:THE CITIZENS
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:38 pm
@Life,
Most of the so-called middle class doesn't do the jobs that illegal immigrants are taking over. I may have a skewed view of what the middle class is ($35k - $80k per family per year), but that's just how I see things going. Most of the illegal immigrants are working the shops, the restaurant kitchens, and the landscaping services that are being run by the American middle class, and it's usually the lower class or student demographic that occupies these jobs otherwise.

Also, there's plenty of work for the "people who lose their jobs to immigrants", they just don't know how to find the jobs or don't feel like finding the jobs. Over the past two days, I've turned in applications and/or resumes to over 10 businesses, and I still had more on my list when I got offered an interview today. The lower wage jobs are there, but the lazy Americans that are being replaced don't want to find the jobs when they can complain to politicians that they aren't employed. It's always the politicians' faults anyways.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:40 am
@Life,
I see the whole thing as an increase in the so-called middle class as those below them fill the low-paying jobs and quite a few of them ( the hard-working entrprenurial types ) move across the line to middle class and the influx of new immigrants fill in the bottom . If $35 K is the lower end of the middle class then we really only have 2 classes anyway . Less than that will not sustain more than one person these days in near the fashion most of us wish to live .
We have subclasses , however : the ones that "will do" , the ones that "won't do" , and the few that simply "can't do" . There really are few barriers to moving up if you are one who "will do" what it takes to succeed .
One of those barriers is some people's unrealistic idea that success is "owed" to them .
Drnaline

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:56 am
@Life,
know of a few mexican familys here in my town that there whole goal was not to live the American dream. I was to give the children the opportunity to do so. Now that all there children are here working and legal, both parents moved back to Mexico. The younger of the sons, you would not be able to tell they were born in Mexico. Very fluent, American in most every way, but was born a mexican national.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 10:15 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
I see the whole thing as an increase in the so-called middle class as those below them fill the low-paying jobs and quite a few of them ( the hard-working entrprenurial types ) move across the line to middle class and the influx of new immigrants fill in the bottom . If $35 K is the lower end of the middle class then we really only have 2 classes anyway . Less than that will not sustain more than one person these days in near the fashion most of us wish to live .
We have subclasses , however : the ones that "will do" , the ones that "won't do" , and the few that simply "can't do" . There really are few barriers to moving up if you are one who "will do" what it takes to succeed .
One of those barriers is some people's unrealistic idea that success is "owed" to them .

I was just basing that number off of what I've seen around my city. There are many people that live well below $35k a year though. For a three person family, the poverty level is $15,670, and for a 9 person family, the poverty level is only $34,750 a year (both of these numbers for the continental US only). Due to the fact that $35 million fall below these levels, I would say that there is a distinct lower class. The middle class level that I set was probably a little too high, and compared to the whole world, is definitely part of the upper class.

2004 Federal Poverty Guidelines
0 Replies

Life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:21 pm
@Life,
As LONG as immigrants stay uneducated with a Language barrier CITIZENS are COMFORTABLE
jatuab

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:11 am
@Life,
Life wrote:
As LONG as immigrants stay uneducated with a Language barrier CITIZENS are COMFORTABLE

God forbid they take over our whole country. I guess we know what the Native Americans felt like...
0 Replies