May Captain Dan O rest in peace

John P

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:31 pm
Ladies and Gentlemen
This has nothing to do with politics, but, I wanted to recognize and tell a story. Five days ago, Captain Daniel O, a former team member that I commanded in Desert Storm. We also worked together in a peace keeping mission in Kosovo.
He died five days ago as a result of a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. I found out today. I am pleased to say, I get to dress up in my nice black uniform, all my medals and stuff, and I and three other marines are going to be performing the funeral. We will do our military burial and he will have a nice tomb stone. His stone will read, 'Here lies Captain Daniel O'
Now, to shed the glory of how he is, here is a story. He and I were close friends. I commanded him in Desert Storm. He came close once to dying. Our men on the ground were under heavy fire in a small town in Kuwait, and they needed a helicopter to land on the roof and save them for there were tanks, and Iraqi's closing in on this building. They were trying to hold out on this building. They were sniping Iraqi's off other surrounding buildings, shooting tanks with rp-g's, and avoiding continuous yet deadly gunfire.
He radioed in and said, "Major, we need helicopters." I asked him where, and stuff, and I said I would see what I could do.
It was an hour I think before he came on and said again, "General, we need that air support now!!!!"
I said, "I won't let you down son."
Most of his men has been killed. It was him, and Sargeant Weaver that were holding out.
Finally, I helicopters picked them up.
He nearly died.
I also commanded him briefly in Afghanistan, but then he switched to another team.
Dan always told me that he was glad to serve his country. I commanded him with great pride. He was a great leader, and often a great friend. Because of him, he was able to save lives.
There was one incident where the marines were taking fire in Kuwait City. We were under heavy fire, he thought he would take them out in one shot. They were in this building with machine guns and firing at them. He ordered a man to get out the rocket launcher and fire it at the building. They killed the foe, but, this was a apartment building, and the people in the next room, were trapped. The rocket blocked the doorway, and there was a fire. He saved a lady and her six kids. She was shouting help in another language, and he saw smoke coming out the window she was screaming from, he and his men advanced and saved her and her children.
Things like this happen all the time. News agencies don't always cover it. But, while fighting another country, we make mistakes that endanger the civilians and we save them like Dan did.
Now, a Captain named Dan once told me that light can be found in the darkest of places. He told me I should not feel bad for losing men.
This week, I would like to honor Captain Daniel O
He was the best soldier I ever commanded. I hope his family appreciates the glory and greatness of her husband even though he in their eyes was stupid and went to war. Going to war was not stupid.
I hope, when I put on my black marines outfit, my white gloves, my white hat, all my medals dangling, my stars shinning, and my marines mourning, that the civilians realize we marines are proud of what we do in war.
May we all salute Captain Daniel of the United States Marine Corps. Captain in the Marines.
Salute!
-Major
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,349 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:59 pm
@John P,
I'm sorry for the loss.

But you, of all people, should know that the word is Sergeant. Not Sargeant.
Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:12 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I'm sorry for the loss.

But you, of all people, should know that the word is Sergeant. Not Sargeant.

Now , now - remember we are to fogive the Major all his spelling and grammar mistakes .
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
@John P,
I'll try to forgive him from now on. Smile

In all seriousness though, I do feel for the family of the one who was killed and thank him for his service.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:35 pm
@John P,
Yeah we lost one of our boys from Nuevo Mesico monday from a road side bomb. I think at one time or another in life, we need a little fogiveness!
0 Replies

ohiosweetheart

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:48 pm
@John P,
may he rest in peace
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 03:59 am
@ohiosweetheart,
Gods speed Captain Dan.:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
0 Replies