Atheism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history

92b16vx

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:27 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14974 wrote:
The Orthodox church was suppressed in Russia.

Um yea, but not in the name of disbelief in a god. The Orthodox church was hand in hand with a very corrupt government and was over thrown in a revolution by the people that left them destitute, people that were sick of abuse. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with religion, other than some were of the Orthodox church, and some of the revoluionaries were atheist.

Quote:
Nazis who were Catholic were about as Catholic as Hitler because the Vatican was oppsed to Nazism and huge amounts of Catholics were killed by the Nazis.

I am going to go off here, so if you think you might cry, stop reading. You are either ignorant, or leaving out information to further your view.

First off most of Europe is catholic, as in a VAST majority. Second joining the Nazi army, third reich, SS wasn't exactly a choice, it was do, or die. If a superior told you to shoot a jew, you shot them, or you were shot...period. Third, the majority of Nazi soldiers did not work in concentration camps, which, while not the only place, most of the wholesale slaughter was done. They were soldiers on the front line. It really doesn't matter that their leader was a so called atheist (he wasn't) or that the catholic church opposed Hitler, they were still catholics.

In neither of these events did anyone go to war, simply because they were atheist. Atheism is the absence of belief in a god.

Atheism does not lead to Communism anymore than disbelieving in Santa Claus leads anybody to steal toys from kids.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:31 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14995 wrote:
Civilization would have collapsed had all slaves been freed, which would put slave and master under the slaver of some other outside power before long. That's just the way it was.

kind of like the American Economy would have collapsed had we not had slaves back then? It was wrong in America, and it's wrong in the bible.

If the New Testament contained the true word of god it would have commanded men to free their slaves so that all could live in brotherhood under god
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:35 pm
@Drnaline,
Right. And as Stalin was persecuting the Russian Orthodox church, he was thinking "I'm doing it for all those poor, poor people they oppressed. The Ukrainians I'm killing, the political opponents of mine I'm killing, all of those poor people who were oppressed by this horrible Orthodox Church."

They don't do it in the name of disbelief in God, but in the practice that any moralistic view with a belief in God would surely get in their way.

You seemed to be talking about commited Nazis, so so was I.

Hitler basically made Germany worship him, okay. Schoolchildren had to call him their 'saviour', etc.

Communism leads to atheism, not the other way around.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:39 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;15002 wrote:
kind of like the American Economy would have collapsed had we not had slaves back then? It was wrong in America, and it's wrong in the bible.

If the New Testament contained the true word of god it would have commanded men to free their slaves so that all could live in brotherhood under god

The South's economy did collapse after the civil war, but the North had no slaves so it was okay overall.

And that's your opinion. They were in the stages of conversion then, and these are mostly letters to people they're tring to convert, how many would if they had to give up their slaves right there and then.

Anyway, i just said in another thread that I think parts of the New Testament, especially the letters of the Apostles, are flawed because they are written by men, divinely inspired, but still flawed and they had to use the best tactics they could to convert.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:49 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15006 wrote:

Communism leads to atheism, not the other way around.

I whole heartedly agree, though theoritically As long as the state can absolutely control a religion, it can function alongside communism.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:21 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15013 wrote:
I whole heartedly agree, though theoritically As long as the state can absolutely control a religion, it can function alongside communism.

True, though there is no instance of a religion which would submit to this unless it is a stat-made religion. Even with this, atheism is more convenient because it requires more work and the religion would have to be strictly regulated to make sure everything fell in place witht the communist ideals.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:58 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14848 wrote:
Surely you don't think I would say that you don't have the most basic grasp of history without knowing you might bring up Constantine and a bunch of freakin' Franks who wanted to be called the Roman Empire. They have no physical or historical connection to the Empire and it's not relevant.

The tidbit about Constantine might be relevant had I not said 'as you describe it'. And I was right. As you described it, it was pagan. They had no time to be merciless after Constantine becaust they were getting their asses kicked by barbarians. They didn't acccept Christianity until afyter this all happened (what you described in your post).

Insult you out of desperation? You gave a rambling conspiracy theory.

yeah, it's real convenient to bring it up after the facts have been brought out. This is not relavant? for someone who thrives on history and facts being right in front of you, you seem to hate it. You need to embrace the fact that you can't embrace the facts. What conspiricy, i never said they were conspireing anything, they put it right out there in front of everybody and didn't try to hide it, you excuse these people by trying to seperate them. you can try to discredit my argument all you would like, it means nothing to anyone with half a brain and can think on thier own. And you were desperate to dissprove me so you insulted me. like you are doing now.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:02 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15041 wrote:
yeah, it's real convenient to bring it up after the facts have been brought out. This is not relavant? for someone who thrives on history and facts being right in front of you, you seem to hate it. You need to embrace the fact that you can't embrace the facts. What conspiricy, i never said they were conspireing anything, they put it right out there in front of everybody and didn't try to hide it, you excuse these people by trying to seperate them. you can try to discredit my argument all you would like, it means nothing to anyone with half a brain and can think on thier own. And you were desperate to dissprove me so you insulted me. like you are doing now.

No need to be clear or provide any half-formed counterstatement.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:18 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14937 wrote:
if you read the new and old testiment you'll find the bible confirms this

He doesn't want to read anything, he refuses to lose, and when he starts to he makes a snooty peronal attack or comment. Using cute little similies to try to prove a point. I am done with this guy. Because someones point conflicts with his it is a conspirecy theory. :beat: I'm tired of being nice to this guy.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:28 pm
@92b16vx,
Originally stated by Reagaknight
Surely you don't think I would say that you don't have the most basic grasp of history without knowing you might bring up Constantine and a bunch of freakin' Franks who wanted to be called the Roman Empire. They have no physical or historical connection to the Empire and it's not relevant.

Are you an idiot? I mean are you really that confused? Wanted to be called the roman empire? THEY WERE THE ROMAN EMPIRE!!! AS STATED, HISTORICLY BY THE ROMAN EMPIRES WRITTINGS. Every peice of literature i've found on this subject all say the same thing. Everyone else who fallows this thread can read, i hope, and can determine this on thier own. You are acussing me of dreaming consiracys while you conspire against me.
trappedbyparties

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:30 pm
@92b16vx,
let me clarify, they were not the entire empire, But constantine was the emperor over the roman empire untill his death.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:16 pm
@Drnaline,
and Constantine was the man who called the council that elected Christanity as the new religion.

Constantine was a real cerebral guy, he never was Christian. He remained a follower of the Sun God until his death. Those who would speak of his conversion refer to a simple ceremony of water sprinkled on his head while he was to weak to move literally moments before he died.

Constantine didn't agree with Christianity, but chose it because it best maintained society and encouraged blind faith rather then speculation and debate of power.

fun fact: Catholics worship on Sunday because that's the day Emporer Constantine went to his temple to worship the Son God, on Son-day. It is true that Christ in the bible came back to life on a Sunday as well, but it's actually a coincidence. That is why we have 7th day adventists...
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 07:21 am
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15044 wrote:
Originally stated by Reagaknight

Are you an idiot? I mean are you really that confused? Wanted to be called the roman empire? THEY WERE THE ROMAN EMPIRE!!! AS STATED, HISTORICLY BY THE ROMAN EMPIRES WRITTINGS. Every peice of literature i've found on this subject all say the same thing. Everyone else who fallows this thread can read, i hope, and can determine this on thier own. You are acussing me of dreaming consiracys while you conspire against me.

I'm going to ignore this and say you simply misunderstood me. Yes, Constantine was Emperor of the Roman Empire, and yes, he promoted Christianity and I know everything you just said about him.

When I said 'who wanted to be called the Roman Empire', I was referring to the aforementioned bunch of freakin' Franks.

However, Constantine was not Emperor at the time of Jesus's crucifixtion, which is when the Emperors were still pagan. Therefore, as you were speaking of it the Roman Empire was pagan. You were speaking of the Empire that brutally conquered most of Europe, North Africa and the Levant, including Jerusalem and ruled over it brutally. It was pagan at this time.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:43 am
@Drnaline,
"Nazis who were Catholic were about as Catholic as Hitler because the Vatican was oppsed to Nazism and huge amounts of Catholics were killed by the Nazis."

Half of Nazi Germany was Catholic. Half was Protestant. Hitler was an atheist, or perhaps a Germanic spiritiualist. He hated Christianity, and thought a 'true' German couldn't be a Christian, because the two contradicted each other. His blood-and-soil ideology was founded on an ultra-radical interpretation of social Darwinism.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:08 am
@Drnaline,
So could it be said that Darwinism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:37 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;15076 wrote:
"Nazis who were Catholic were about as Catholic as Hitler because the Vatican was oppsed to Nazism and huge amounts of Catholics were killed by the Nazis."

Half of Nazi Germany was Catholic. Half was Protestant. Hitler was an atheist, or perhaps a Germanic spiritiualist. He hated Christianity, and thought a 'true' German couldn't be a Christian, because the two contradicted each other. His blood-and-soil ideology was founded on an ultra-radical interpretation of social Darwinism.

But Hitler was raised Catholic. That was what most committed Catholic Nazis were. Though 'Catholic' in name, if they truly believed in the Nazi cause, they were in conflict with Catholicism.

I think lack of a religious moral basis could be said to be the real force behind the mass murders of history, not atheism in and of itself as the cause. It was more often a political ideology that included atheism so that no religious values could conflict with it.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:53 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15087 wrote:
But Hitler was raised Catholic. That was what most committed Catholic Nazis were. Though 'Catholic' in name, if they truly believed in the Nazi cause, they were in conflict with Catholicism.

I think lack of a religious moral basis could be said to be the real force behind the mass murders of history, not atheism in and of itself as the cause. It was more often a political ideology that included atheism so that no religious values could conflict with it.

in that, i have to go to my original stance that the leaders use religion as a pull for controll. religion is based on faith, at least my religion is. Blind faith, wich means to believe without having any specific proof. I classify myself as a christ follower. I detest denominations. The idea of a religion being controll by a leader baffles me. If that is what you want to believe then more power to you. You have the right to believe that. i belive faith is personal, therefore the faith should be a private practice. A relationship between you and your God. That is how i truley feel about it.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:04 pm
@Drnaline,
No, I disagree. Followers of a religion must have faith but a religion should act as an organization, it should be in agreement most aspects of the basis for religion. Otherwise it is not a religion but hundreds of thousands of different sub-religions (like the Protestant denominations, but to a greater extent). That is almost never what religion is intended to be. Its followers should be in agreement or there is no one religion.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:14 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15118 wrote:
No, I disagree. Followers of a religion must have faith but a religion should act as an organization, it should be in agreement most aspects of the basis for religion. Otherwise it is not a religion but hundreds of thousands of different sub-religions (like the Protestant denominations, but to a greater extent). That is almost never what religion is intended to be. Its followers should be in agreement or there is no one religion.

i personaly don't think christs intentions were to shove his beliefs down everyones throut(however you spell it). It is a free will bases, there are too many versions and exerpts of the bible to fallow it blindly, in that fashion you are praising the bible and not god. In my opinion an orginization focuses on numbers and loses sight on the base belief. As such it turns into a political contest of who is right and who is wrong, wich inebidibly leads to conflict of interest wich leads to war and death. Again just my opinion, not saying you are wrong for what you believe.
Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:38 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15122 wrote:
i personaly don't think christs intentions were to shove his beliefs down everyones throut(however you spell it). It is a free will bases, there are too many versions and exerpts of the bible to fallow it blindly, in that fashion you are praising the bible and not god. In my opinion an orginization focuses on numbers and loses sight on the base belief. As such it turns into a political contest of who is right and who is wrong, wich inebidibly leads to conflict of interest wich leads to war and death. Again just my opinion, not saying you are wrong for what you believe.

I think that Christ wanted people to become Christians, but peacefully.

I also think Catholicism is the most legitimate to be Christian, as in the beginning, it was the Christian faith. The Catholic Church was formed after the Council of Nicaea formed the ideas of what Christianity should be. It created the Bible. Then, some said that it conflicted with the Bible and started the Reformation. Granted, there were other things they objected to, but most have since been stopped. I don't see how the Church can conflict with the Bible if it reated the Bible. Also, considering they created the Bible, how can other groups say that it is the only part of Christianity when it was only a part of Christianity from the time of its inception? I don't see the basis for going against the original Church, so I am a part of it.