Professor's population speeches

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:33 am
Quote:
Oh, and one other thing — "Maybe it will help me sell a few books."

That may be the key to understanding this professor's alledged "terroristic" speeches .
From "The Austin-American Statesman " newspaper .
Professor's population speeches unnerve some
He says he's issuing warning, but others see talk of pandemics as a threat.

Read this
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,947 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:38 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I don't think he's done anything wrong from reading that. I do think that the world is in some serious **** in the coming generations if something drastic doesn't happen.

The world population is rising exponentially.

1801 - 1 billion people
1927 - 2 billion
1966 - 3 billion
1974 - 4 billion
1987 - 5 billion
1999 - 6 billion
2009 - 7 billion? That's where the current estimates place it.

do you see how the time between the population increases by one billion has decreased rapidly?

It took us 126 years to go from 1 billion to 2 billion.
Then only 39 years to go from 2 to 3 billion.
Then only 8! years! to from 3 to 4 billion!
Then 13 years to go from 4 to 5 billion.
Then 12 years to go from 5 to 6 billion.
Looks like 10 years to go to 7 billion.
How long can we keep this up?

Possible solutions? Forced birth control, increase quality of life in 3rd world countries, increase education about the issue, limit number of children allowed through forced sterilization or other means (like China, and this would come at an unprecedented loss of freedom), tax incentives to people who limit family size, re-evaluate the role of medicine, or genocide.

These are only solutions we might be able to come up with. This precludes any natural or ecological things that may happen to "help" us limit our population.

The man is preaching about impending doom, and right. He's not nearly as bad as a professor a friend of mine has. He suggested that the Iraq war was simply a way to limit the population of the US.

To end with a quote from a good friend and philosophy professor of mine:
Quote:
Let's hope Jesus comes back before the **** hits the fan.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:52 pm
@Curmudgeon,
How does increasing quality of life in 3rd world countries keep the population from rising?
NaterG

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
@Curmudgeon,
We need to colonize the moon. And mars.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:21 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
How does increasing quality of life in 3rd world countries keep the population from rising?

Just my thinking. If the quality of life was increased, then they wouldn't feel like they needed to reproduce so much. They would have access to better health care, birth control, etc.

The world's most advanced countries don't have nearly as much of a problem with overpopulation as do third world countries. If they became more advanced, then why wouldn't their problems with overpopulation become more like ours?
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:19 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I would agree that improving the quality of life would help in some way to control overpopulation . Better fed , better employed , better treated people tend to think more about the future rather than just breeding more people to replace the ones lost to disease , war , and general strife .

I did not mean to imply that the professor was doing anything illegal , just tossed it out to you guys as a news item .

I wonder what will be the outcome of the FBI investigation ?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:49 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I don't think he's done anything wrong from reading that. I do think that the world is in some serious crap in the coming generations if something drastic doesn't happen.

The world population is rising exponentially.

1801 - 1 billion people
1927 - 2 billion
1966 - 3 billion
1974 - 4 billion
1987 - 5 billion
1999 - 6 billion
2009 - 7 billion? That's where the current estimates place it.

do you see how the time between the population increases by one billion has decreased rapidly?

It took us 126 years to go from 1 billion to 2 billion.
Then only 39 years to go from 2 to 3 billion.
Then only 8! years! to from 3 to 4 billion!
Then 13 years to go from 4 to 5 billion.
Then 12 years to go from 5 to 6 billion.
Looks like 10 years to go to 7 billion.
How long can we keep this up?

Possible solutions? Forced birth control, increase quality of life in 3rd world countries, increase education about the issue, limit number of children allowed through forced sterilization or other means (like China, and this would come at an unprecedented loss of freedom), tax incentives to people who limit family size, re-evaluate the role of medicine, or genocide.

These are only solutions we might be able to come up with. This precludes any natural or ecological things that may happen to "help" us limit our population.

The man is preaching about impending doom, and right. He's not nearly as bad as a professor a friend of mine has. He suggested that the Iraq war was simply a way to limit the population of the US.

To end with a quote from a good friend and philosophy professor of mine:
Quote:
To end with a quote from a good friend and philosophy professor of mine

Wow a professor that believes in JESUS. Bet he don't say that very often, especially in front of other professor's?
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:23 pm
@Curmudgeon,
it was actually a sarcastic remark, haha.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:46 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Good one!
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:21 am
@Curmudgeon,
this was a good topic. Sad
0 Replies