• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,362 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:33 am
@Curmudgeon,
Is that the story he did on teacher unions?

I agree with his view on education and that fact that Teacher Unions and tenor are the downfall of our education system.

The money is there.

I have strong views on the current education system. One of them being that an associates degree should not be required. You should only be required to educate yourself in the classes that are needed for your field of study.

Biology does nothing for me, it will provide me nothing to go with in my Computer Science degree. I am not getting a broader education I am getting raped with class fees and book fees for classes I do not even need.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 01:47 am
@Curmudgeon,
Courses like biology , etc. may seem to be useless to your chosen field , but you need to know that the study of such subjects is intended to help you analyze things and is worthwhile because it will facilitate learning in other disciplines .
When I went to school , many years ago , we took Latin , and I wondered why . My teacher showed me that learning Latin was a stepping stone to learning other subjects by teaching me better study habits .
On another note , how do you feel about math ?
Lots of people have trouble with math , becoming snarled up with numbers , etc. , so they stop learning . To master math ( and thus geometry , calculus , physics , etc. ) the student must approach it as a language and then he will succeed . Math will be very important in your computer studies .

BTW - where is an Associates Degree required ? That is just a certificate that you get from a Junior or Community College , right ? All you should have to do is pass the core curriculum from an accredited school with good enough grades to transfer to a 4 year college .
Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 02:10 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
Courses like biology , etc. may seem to be useless to your chosen field , but you need to know that the study of such subjects is intended to help you analyze things and is worthwhile because it will facilitate learning in other disciplines .
When I went to school , many years ago , we took Latin , and I wondered why . My teacher showed me that learning Latin was a stepping stone to learning other subjects by teaching me better study habits .
On another note , how do you feel about math ?
Lots of people have trouble with math , becoming snarled up with numbers , etc. , so they stop learning . To master math ( and thus geometry , calculus , physics , etc. ) the student must approach it as a language and then he will succeed . Math will be very important in your computer studies .

BTW - where is an Associates Degree required ? That is just a certificate that you get from a Junior or Community College , right ? All you should have to do is pass the core curriculum from an accreddited school with good enough grades to transfer to a 4 year college .

With or without an assoiciates degree you still are required to take these classes such as Biology when they relate to nothing in my field of study.. I still believe Biology is useless to me especially Biology II which is required.
ndjs

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:38 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I'm a biology major, and if I get in medical school, I'll never need it.
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 04:28 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
With or without an assoiciates degree you still are required to take these classes such as Biology when they relate to nothing in my field of study.. I still believe Biology is useless to me especially Biology II which is required.

I don't believe in the Software Engineering curriculum at Auburn I was required to take biology, or any science. I am not exactly positive on that, I will have to dig out some of my old documents, but I am pretty sure I was only required to take an english, history, and ethics i believe.
ndjs

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
@Curmudgeon,
No offense Nate, but college has changed a lot probably since you were at Auburn.
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:34 pm
@Curmudgeon,
haha that was like 3 years ago, I doubt it would change that much lol
Brent cv

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:33 pm
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:
I don't believe in the Software Engineering curriculum at Auburn I was required to take biology, or any science. I am not exactly positive on that, I will have to dig out some of my old documents, but I am pretty sure I was only required to take an english, history, and ethics i believe.

It is required with any degree, you must take a series of science classes
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:21 am
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:
haha that was like 3 years ago, I doubt it would change that much lol

maybe UAB is just that much different that Auburn then.
0 Replies