Ford to cut 30,000 jobs

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:30 am
This is not good news at all :nope:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ford24jan24,1,5737227.story?coll=la-headlines-business

Ford Motor Co. executives said Monday that the company would close 14 factories, eliminate as many as 30,000 jobs in North America in the next six years and work to make vehicles that customers want rather than force-feed them the big trucks that the company has been most comfortable building.

Although the plan is sweeping, many analysts said it might be too tame to enable the company to reassert itself in the crucial U.S. auto market.

In announcing the long-awaited restructuring, Chairman William Clay Ford Jr. and North American chief Mark Fields said the plan ultimately would save $6 billion a year and enable the company to develop its vehicles faster, build them more efficiently and sell them on the strength of innovation, improved quality and bold design.

Ford's North American auto operations have lost $1.6 billion in the last year. U.S. sales volume has plummeted by more than 25% in the last decade, and Ford's market share has fallen to its lowest point since the 1920s.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,572 • Replies: 2
No top replies

NaterG

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:28 pm
@Brent cv,
All of the big 3s are cutting jobs, closeing plants, and lowering production numbers. Damn imports. Even tho the quality of the domestic cars have finaly reached, and sometimes exceeded, the quality of imports, people still think the imports are better. Now, even the truck market, which the big 3 dominated, is starting to be overrun with imports. Its sad really. I drive an "import" (suzukis is owned by GM) but as soon as I can, I will sell, and support the domestic market.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:42 pm
@Brent cv,
I saw that.
0 Replies