Everybody Loved Them; I Cringed

eoe

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:13 pm
You REALLY were bored.
That wasn't Jude Law but Ewan MacGregor as the male lead in 'Down With Love'. I guess you were so bored, you don't even know who was in it! Very Happy
It stank, didn't it?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:30 pm
oops.....thanks for the correction Smile,
yup it stank!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:36 am
"Down With Love" was supposed to be an over-the-top tribute to the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies. It failed miserably, nowhere near as cute or funny as those old movies and, today's reality simply couldn't support it. It was a really, really bad idea.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 08:36 am
Anti-war films are never pleasant to watch. Their entertainment value is certainly always brought into question, especially if they become intellectually dishonest. "Tigerland" was entertaining with the debut of Colin Farrell (okay, so the debut of take it off, take it all off Colin). It had a pungent message but was never boring -- the director's commentary on the DVD is one of the best. I have to agree about "Apocalypse Now," pretentious and ultimately ineffective and "Redux" introducing scenes meant to dwell in the realm of entertainment but coming of as an addendum or retraction in a newspaper. "The Deerhunter" has enough real impact to make it worth the length of the film. The final scene is emotionally poignant and draining. The ending of "Apocalypse Now" ending for me is, "Whoops, I forgot, this is based on Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness," I'd better tack on something that has something to do with that book." "Taxi Driver" can be depressing but I prefer it to Scorcese's excursion into historic films mainly due to the extraordinary performances. All of his films are seemlessly put together but some end up looking like a crazy quilt.

"Oh, the horror, the horror." Yes, actually -- but was Brando talking about war or the film?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 08:37 am
"Mean Streets" and "Goodfellas" are Scorcese's two best films in my book. Well, and his version of "Madame Butterfly" which is exquisite.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 09:26 am
De Niro's death scene in "Mean Streets" was utterly heartwrenching, as I recall. I haven't watched that in a very long time altho' I have it on tape.

Another, IMO, is "Antwon Fisher". We bought the dvd but I'll probably not watch that one again either. Too miserable, even tho' the ending was uplifting.

"Shawshank Redemption" had the right mix of good with the bad. Altho' their lives were grim, and the rapes and beatings in particular difficult to watch, their were enough positive, even joyous, experiences to balance out the misery of it all. I'll watch 'Shawshank..." whenever I run across it while flicking through the channels, regardless of where they're at in the film. It's one of my favs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 09:57 am
"Shawshank" is a very good film and much time has passed since I've seen it. Will revisit the best adaptation of a King novel soon.

"Antwon Fisher" is not a film I would likely revisit either -- something was missing and on one viewing I can't say what. I don't remember the reviews either.

One of the scenes in "Goodfellas" is Robert DeNiro not speaking one word, standing at the bar and you can see in his face he's plotting something and it's not good. I'm sure everyone who has seen the film knows what it is (spoiler!) but I've seldom seen an actor communicate so much without uttering one word. Not to forget his own performance in "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver." I also enjoyed him in "Flawless" as the ex-cop who has a stroke and a drag queen is teaching him how to speak (well, and sing!....)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
"Flawless" was a very interesting movie. Alot of people (guys especially) may cringe but C. Phillip Hoffman (?) was wonderful and DeNiro's performance ( the dance scene after his stroke especially) poignant and thoughtful.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 02:17 pm
The storyline gets a little awkward in perhaps trying to do too much in one movie but Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robert DeNiro's scenes together are priceless.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 04:25 pm
Boy did I mangle HIS name.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
Hard one to remember. Can't these actors just go by two names? Philip Hoffman -- what's wrong with that? I guess it sounds like an architect.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
How about "Captain's Courageous?"

Or "The Old Man and the Sea?"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:50 am
Haven't much desire to see "Captain's Courageous" again and "The Old Man and the Sea" is a favorite around here but other than a fine film score it his a big ho hum for me.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:23 am
"Seabiscuit" was rather a zzzzzzzzzzzzz......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:25 am
I enjoyed reading about the author. Her travails in writing the story were more interesting than the screenplay
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 02:33 pm
shepaints wrote:
"Seabiscuit" was rather a zzzzzzzzzzzzz......

I liked Seabiscuit. I particularly liked the documentary style introduction.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 04:08 pm
Another movie quite diminished by being shown on the small screen. At the theater we saw it people were literally cheering during some of the race sequences. It's a fascinating story and I went out a bought the illustrated version of the book. I know my sister and her husband said they weren't sure they'd go see it because they weren't especially enthusiastic about horses or horse racing. They did go on my recommendation and they thanked me for sending them to a very entertaining and exciting movie. AH, well.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:14 pm
I must confess to watching this on dvd, small
screen and with a colb in my heb. I also meant to
post on the boring thread......sorry!

I wasnt grabbed by the characters or action in
the first half of the movie, and thought the
best performance by far was by the radio
dj.....It DID warm up substantially for me in the second half...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:47 am
Golly I got involved with the characters in the first half-hour and they were following a timeline where the were introducing the characters before they all met up. I was slightly dissapointed that they excised the chracter of Red's wife but I can kind of understand where it could complicate the flow of the story unnecessarily.
0 Replies

sativa

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 06:30 pm
well, i never watched seabiscuit, but alot of people told me to watch "office space" because it was hilarious... besides a few moments which made me laugh, i thought the movie was stupid and pointless... usually i like those kinds of movies, don't get me wrong.. but this one just didn't tickle me.
0 Replies