guigus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:21 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
Yes, of course. Philosophers want to go beyond the meaning of a term to its analysis, which, for instance, probes the implications of the meaning of the term, and how it fits in with other terms of the same kind. For example, when the philosopher inquires into knowledge, his inquiry extends into the implications of knowledge for belief, and truth, and justification. As it should. And this inquiry is the analysis of the concept of knowledge. But, of course, this is, as I said, inquiry. It is not invention.

I disagree. Inquiry and invention have a lot in common: and each one has a lot of the other. For example, Newton invented gravity at least as much as he "discovered" it, although he believed he had only discovered it. Likewise, Einstein reinvented gravity at least as much he "rediscovered" it. And we still ignore what gravity really is even today. And when we finally discover exactly what it is, this will be also a total invention. Regarding truth, invention and discovery are the same: what really matters is that whatever we discover/invent is flawless and works perfectly well in all circumstances. Although pragmatism is a shame, we sill must be practical.

And, I suppose that Cook invented Australia as much as he discovered it too. You cannot discover what does not already exist, so how is it possible to invent what you discover? It isn't. Newton and Einstein first (partly) thought up new concepts, and then discovered what conformed to those concepts. You are confused.

I already knew you thought that way: that is how you understand truth, that is, as something that is already there, waiting to be discovered. It is precisely that naive metaphysics of a wold that is true in itself that we must overcome (which makes Fido partially correct). Thinking like this is just assuming that we know all there is to know about the objective world, which is always false. Our understanding of gravity, for example: we have today two different concepts of gravity, none of which is satisfactory, and various other concepts being proposed, which not even resemble those two (Newtonian and Einsteinian) old concepts of gravity. What gravity was "before" we discovered/invented it, nobody knows, including you. Truth is neither a simple discovery nor a total invention: it is both.

Kenn is correct, that you are confused... Consider all within a circle called existence, and within that circle another circle called reality which we can know, yet remaining mystery for the most part, and then within that circle another called truth with all we can know and verify... Galaleo, Newton, and Einstein along with every other philosopher has enlarged the circle of truth in the circle of reality... Every conception of reality can be verified against reality, and there is where philosophical truth stands... Until some phenomenon can be conceived of it cannot be tested... It does not take a philosopher to realize we have far more phenomena than conceptions of it, but it takes a philosopher to take what is known and with insight to bridge the gaps between knowledge and knowledge, which often requires the rejection of innacurate conceptions of reality... Reality is waiting to be discovered... Truth is only waiting to be disproved, because truth is ours, with the advances of the past often becoming the impediments to future progress...

It is amazing to find that in the end you both think essentially the same way, as I already suspected. Anyway, philosophy is not science. Science proceeds by objective investigation, while philosophy, despite taking scientific results into account, must go beyond that, since it searches for the whole truth. Science cannot provide us with the ultimate truth, since it must progressively enlarge its empirical universe, which is never the whole world. Scientific knowledge is always incomplete, and philosophy searches for a complete knowledge. Hence, philosophical knowledge must be different from scientific knowledge. Now regarding your circles, if existence is not reality, then it includes everything that is uncertain. And if the truth circle enlarges over time, it progressively moves part of the existence circle to the truth circle, and some of the existence circle to a falsehood circle, which I would ask you where are you going to place. Don't you think you are a little confused?
guigus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:25 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I think you have to draw a distinction between invention and a crucial part of invention called insight... Insight is passive, and invention is active.... Anyone can have insight, but it takes a skilled mind like that of Galaleo to invent experiments that show what their mind perceives to be fact...

If insight is part of invention, how can it be passive, while invention is active? The activity of invention has a passive part? Please explain that better. Besides, it is plain false that anyone can have insight. Insight takes a deep knowledge of whatever you have an insight about: you have to struggle a lot and sleep a lot on (as also not sleep a lot because of) the problem to have a significant insight about it.
guigus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:26 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

For Fido and for all beings, life is truth... We survive on what we know... Look at the emmense population of the earth compared to hunter gathering people... That is not just procreation, but technology, agriculture, medicine, industry, and all built upon knowledge, which is truth... Our well being depends upon what we know, and as well as our very lives, and for that end it is essential to snatch truth out of the soup of ignorance, uncertainty, speculation, and faith..

If life is truth, how can one depend on the other? For something to depend on something else, don't they need to be different?
guigus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:35 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
And truth is just such a conception, but the reality is there before hand... Reality can be known out of the infinity of existence, and it is not created out of the process of learning it... What is unknown as truth is also unreal, or so it seems; but only reveal some fact, and its truth and reality are suddenly obvious... And if this is what you were saying in the comment about scientists and gravity, then your point was not clear...

The truth is that you are assuming reality is there beforehand: you don't know that. And even if it were there beforehand, you don't know what it is, which is the reason why we have both science and philosophy. You should stick to what you actually know, and stop pretending that what you assume is actual knowledge.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:38 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fido wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
Yes, of course. Philosophers want to go beyond the meaning of a term to its analysis, which, for instance, probes the implications of the meaning of the term, and how it fits in with other terms of the same kind. For example, when the philosopher inquires into knowledge, his inquiry extends into the implications of knowledge for belief, and truth, and justification. As it should. And this inquiry is the analysis of the concept of knowledge. But, of course, this is, as I said, inquiry. It is not invention.

I disagree. Inquiry and invention have a lot in common: and each one has a lot of the other. For example, Newton invented gravity at least as much as he "discovered" it, although he believed he had only discovered it. Likewise, Einstein reinvented gravity at least as much he "rediscovered" it. And we still ignore what gravity really is even today. And when we finally discover exactly what it is, this will be also a total invention. Regarding truth, invention and discovery are the same: what really matters is that whatever we discover/invent is flawless and works perfectly well in all circumstances. Although pragmatism is a shame, we sill must be practical.

And, I suppose that Cook invented Australia as much as he discovered it too. You cannot discover what does not already exist, so how is it possible to invent what you discover? It isn't. Newton and Einstein first (partly) thought up new concepts, and then discovered what conformed to those concepts. You are confused.

I already knew you thought that way: that is how you understand truth, that is, as something that is already there, waiting to be discovered. It is precisely that naive metaphysics of a wold that is true in itself that we must overcome (which makes Fido partially correct). Thinking like this is just assuming that we know all there is to know about the objective world, which is always false. Our understanding of gravity, for example: we have today two different concepts of gravity, none of which is satisfactory, and various other concepts being proposed, which not even resemble those two (Newtonian and Einsteinian) old concepts of gravity. What gravity was "before" we discovered/invented it, nobody knows, including you. Truth is neither a simple discovery nor a total invention: it is both.

Kenn is correct, that you are confused... Consider all within a circle called existence, and within that circle another circle called reality which we can know, yet remaining mystery for the most part, and then within that circle another called truth with all we can know and verify... Galaleo, Newton, and Einstein along with every other philosopher has enlarged the circle of truth in the circle of reality... Every conception of reality can be verified against reality, and there is where philosophical truth stands... Until some phenomenon can be conceived of it cannot be tested... It does not take a philosopher to realize we have far more phenomena than conceptions of it, but it takes a philosopher to take what is known and with insight to bridge the gaps between knowledge and knowledge, which often requires the rejection of innacurate conceptions of reality... Reality is waiting to be discovered... Truth is only waiting to be disproved, because truth is ours, with the advances of the past often becoming the impediments to future progress...

It is amazing to find that in the end you both think essentially the same way, as I already suspected. Anyway, philosophy is not science. Science proceeds by objective investigation, while philosophy, despite taking scientific results into account, must go beyond that, since it searches for the whole truth. Science cannot provide us with the ultimate truth, since it must progressively enlarge its empirical universe, which is never the whole world. Scientific knowledge is always incomplete, and philosophy searches for a complete knowledge. Hence, philosophical knowledge must be different from scientific knowledge. Now regarding your circles, if existence is not reality, then it includes everything that is uncertain. And if the truth circle enlarges over time, it progressively moves part of the existence circle to the truth circle, and some of the existence circle to a falsehood circle, which I would ask you where are you going to place. Don't you think you are a little confused?

Whatever any of this means, and there is not much reason to think it means anything (not at least in English) the fact remains:

If something is discovered then it must already exist to be discovered. Therefore, the discovery of something cannot be the invention of that thing. The above argument is sound, which means, for those who know no elementary logic, that the argument has a true premise and is valid (which means for those who know not elementary logic) that the conclusion follows from the premise. And, if the the argument is sound, then the conclusion is true. You can say (or not say) what ever you like, but no one can get around, or obscure what I just pointed out. Even the obscurantism at which so many are adept cannot get around the fact that if something is discovered, then it must exist to be discovered, and therefore if it is invented, it must be invented before it is discovered. So invention and discovery are two different things.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:44 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fido wrote:
And truth is just such a conception, but the reality is there before hand... Reality can be known out of the infinity of existence, and it is not created out of the process of learning it... What is unknown as truth is also unreal, or so it seems; but only reveal some fact, and its truth and reality are suddenly obvious... And if this is what you were saying in the comment about scientists and gravity, then your point was not clear...

The truth is that you are assuming reality is there beforehand: you don't know that. And even if it were there beforehand, you don't know what it is, which is the reason why we have both science and philosophy. You should stick to what you actually know, and stop Cool
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:45 am
Not jet
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:55 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Now they R
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
If something is discovered then it must already exist to be discovered. Therefore, the discovery of something cannot be the invention of that thing. The above argument is sound, which means, for those who know no elementary logic, that the argument has a true premise and is valid (which means for those who know not elementary logic) that the conclusion follows from the premise. And, if the the argument is sound, then the conclusion is true. You can say (or not say) what ever you like, but no one can get around, or obscure what I just pointed out. Even the obscurantism at which so many are adept cannot get around the fact that if something is discovered, then it must exist to be discovered, and therefore if it is invented, it must be invented before it is discovered. So invention and discovery are two different things.

If this does not mean anything to you, please stop answering to it. Otherwise it is you that stop making any sense.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:05 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

If this does not mean anything to you, please stop answering to it. Otherwise it is you that stop making any sense.

You misunderstand. I was speculating that what you wrote might have something to do with the op (although that might have just been a wild guess). And I was addressing not you, but the issue of the thread. I hope that clears it up.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:07 am
Where did Kenny Gogo
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:28 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
You misunderstand. I was speculating that what you wrote might have something to do with the op (although that might have just been a wild guess). And I was addressing not you, but the issue of the thread. I hope that clears it up.

Oh, sure, that clears everything up. So let us try something meaningful to you:

1. Let us assume the statement “every truth must be true” means that no truth is contingent, by which it is false as long as there are true contingencies.

2. The statement “every truth must be true” means the same as the statement “every truth must be a truth,” since to be true is the same as to be a truth.

3. The statement “every truth must be a truth” means that every truth must be the same as itself, which is true as long as everything must be the same as itself.

Hence, if the statement “every truth must be true” is false, then it is false that everything must be the same as itself. Could you please show us the way out of this contradiction? And remember: saying it is meaningless does not count as a solution.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:27 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

1. Let us assume the statement “every truth must be true” means that no truth is contingent, by which it is false as long as there are true contingencies.

2. The statement “every truth must be true” means the same as the statement “every truth must be a truth,” since to be true is the same as to be a truth.

3. The statement “every truth must be a truth” means that every truth must be the same as itself, which is true as long as everything must be the same as itself.

Hence, if the statement “every truth must be true” is false, then it is false that everything must be the same as itself. Could you please show us the way out of this contradiction? And remember: saying it is meaningless does not count as a solution.

So far as 2. goes, of course the statement that every truth must be a truth means the same as the statement that every truth must be a truth, since they are the identical statements. But how does that imply, or mean that the statement that every truth must be a truth is true? You are confusing the fact that a particular statement is identical with itself, which is, of course true, with the statement that every truth must be true. It is true that the two statements are equivalent, but it is not true that what the statements say is true. It does not follow from, "It is true that S and S" are identical statement, that that S is true.

So far as 3. goes it is false that the statement, every truth must be a truth, means that every truth must be the same as itself. I cannot even understand why you would say such a thing. Every truth is true obviously does not mean the same thing as every truth is identical with itself. Although both are clearly tautologically true.

It is the way you argue in philosophy, where you try to derive philosophical truths from trivial tautologies which is one of the things that gives philosophy the bad name is has among many people who think that the kind of thing you do is what philosophers typically do, and leads them to say things like, "it is all semantics". Because it is true that what you perform is trivial (and confused) word-play (which people call "semantics") but, of course, philosophers do not do that kind of thing at all. But the problem is that you try to pass yourself off as philosophizing when, in fact, what you do is sheer nonsense and has nothing at all to do with what philosophers like Aristotle or Socrates or Descartes have done. What you do is simply a disgrace. The sad thing is that you are (apparently) unaware of it.
Fido

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:25 pm
@guigus,
For the Jews the blood of an animal was its life, and certainly life is more than blood, just as life is more than truth, but one cannot live without blood more than one can live without truth... Knowledge is truth, for if your knowledge was not true it would not be knowledge, but glorified ignorance.... And we are highly dependent upon knowledge, but we know no more than we must to survive, and we are always living at the limits of knowledge of the physical world because we can learn nothing of the moral world...Primitives living with much less of technology and knowledge, had a higher moral sense, and also more refined social forms... We tolerate immorality and lawlessness because we think we can afford to based upon our physical forms of understanding, our knowledge, our truth...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fido wrote:

The truth is that you are assuming reality is there beforehand: you don't know that. And even if it were there beforehand, you don't know what it is, which is the reason why we have both science and philosophy. You should stick to what you actually know, and stop pretending that what you assume is actual knowledge.

Go kick a rock if you do not believe in reality...The fact is that we could spend our lives for a bit of certainty to our knowledge that we can positively live without, and the proof is that we do live with certainty of knowledge... I do not live as though I know, how ever... I live as if I know I know... It is actually more essential to behave morally than to have certainty in our knowledge... Certainty of knowledge which is only belief is responsible for most of human misery... I don't mind knowing, and I do, But I am a lone way from certainty, and I don't care since I want to do so little with what I know, and hold that knowledge is virtue only because to know right makes the doing of right easy...And we never know all we must to do right, but instead we develop a sense of consequences....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:39 pm
@guigus,
It is true that philosophy is not science, but science is a form of philosoph...
kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:45 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

It is true that philosophy is not science, but science is a form of philosoph...

How did that happen? But, of course, that sentence is vague enough to mean just about anything at all. I guess that cooking is a form of science and/or philosophy too. The vaguer the statement the truer it gets since the vaguer it is, the less can count against it. The trick is to say something fairly precise and also true. Try it one day.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:49 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fido wrote:
I think you have to draw a distinction between invention and a crucial part of invention called insight... Insight is passive, and invention is active.... Anyone can have insight, but it takes a skilled mind like that of Galaleo to invent experiments that show what their mind perceives to be fact...

If insight is part of invention, how can it be passive, while invention is active? The activity of invention has a passive part? Please explain that better. Besides, it is plain false that anyone can have insight. Insight takes a deep knowledge of whatever you have an insight about: you have to struggle a lot and sleep a lot on (as also not sleep a lot because of) the problem to have a significant insight about it.

Is the fact that we look enough to make the seeing of things active??? In fact, intuition, insight, perception are all passive since no one can force them, and for those without those qualities, no amount of teaching or preaching will give them those qualities... Invention on the other hand only takes more perspiration than intuition... I have invented better ways of doing my job, and some was out of intuition and some was out of desperation, -simply having enough need to drive me to try every imaginable wah...
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 04:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

So far as 2. goes, of course the statement that every truth must be a truth means the same as the statement that every truth must be a truth, since they are the identical statements. But how does that imply, or mean that the statement that every truth must be a truth is true? You are confusing the fact that a particular statement is identical with itself, which is, of course true, with the statement that every truth must be true. It is true that the two statements are equivalent, but it is not true that what the statements say is true. It does not follow from, "It is true that S and S" are identical statement, that that S is true.

So far as 3. goes it is false that the statement, every truth must be a truth, means that every truth must be the same as itself. I cannot even understand why you would say such a thing. Every truth is true obviously does not mean the same thing as every truth is identical with itself. Although both are clearly tautologically true.

It is the way you argue in philosophy, where you try to derive philosophical truths from trivial tautologies which is one of the things that gives philosophy the bad name is has among many people who think that the kind of thing you do is what philosophers typically do, and leads them to say things like, "it is all semantics". Because it is true that what you perform is trivial (and confused) word-play (which people call "semantics") but, of course, philosophers do not do that kind of thing at all. But the problem is that you try to pass yourself off as philosophizing when, in fact, what you do is sheer nonsense and has nothing at all to do with what philosophers like Aristotle or Socrates or Descartes have done. What you do is simply a disgrace. The sad thing is that you are (apparently) unaware of it.

Item 2 does not state that "the statement that every truth must be a truth means the same as the statement that every truth must be a truth," it states that "every truth must be true" (which you believe to be false) means the same as "every truth must be a truth" (which in turn means the same as "every truth must be what it is," that is, a truth): you must read things first, then respond. What I am asking you to do is to point a way out of the self-contradiction that follows from that reasoning. But of course, it would take you the inconvenient of reading it first.
guigus

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:25 am
@guigus,
To make things easier:

1. A truth must be true.
2. To be true is the same as to be a truth.
3. A truth must be a truth. (1, 2)
4. A truth is a truth.
5. A truth must be what it is. (3, 4)

Hence, if (1) is false, then (5) is false. However, (5) is an instance of the law of identity.