I love polenta!

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:41 pm
You should try it with caramelized onions, a touch of tomato and chipotles, grilled. Polenta....so versatile....

I must admit, if it is fresh, I like the dressing to be the star in the dish, and leave the warm polenta plain to suck in all the flavours. littlek is veggie, but think about this: polenta replaces couscous in a North African veggie stew...hmm....nice stew, nice warm polenta underneath?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:45 pm
Oh man! What a great bunch of polenta recipies. Thanks BBB.

Heart healthy polenta from a loving daughter. Nice.

Nutritionally speaking, how does polenta stack up?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:47 pm
It's just corm - the base it. I think most of the good and bad nutrition comes from what you add to it.

Cav, I even have chipotles in the fridge! You win! I'm making some sort of that kind of thingie bopper, thanks.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 03:48 pm
Here I've eaten polenta all my life and didn't know it... we were raised (in part) on cornmeal mush, made exactly as cav describes. You eat that hot for breakfast, like oatmeal, with milk and brown sugar. Then you put the rest in a loaf pan and chill it. When it's cold you cut it in slices and fry it... fried mush, pork chops, homemade applesauce, beans from the backyard.

Didn't know we wuz gourmets!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 04:50 pm
Hey Wy! You're high society.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:31 pm
{grin}
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:47 am
Polenta with Swiss Chard & Portobello Bushrooms
POLENTA WITH SWISS CHARD AND PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup peeled and chopped yellow onions, peeled
1 teaspoon peeled and minced garlic
2 large Portobello mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 large bunch Swiss chard, well-washed and dried, large stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable stock, canned or home made
1/2 cup polenta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
Fresh Italian parsley, chopped, for garnish

Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes; add the garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add the remaining oil and mushrooms; cook until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and 2 tablespoons of water. Cover the pan and cook until the chard is wilted, about 4 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper; set aside.

In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Gradually add the polenta, whisking constantly. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper and the grated cheese.

Divide the polenta among 4 serving dishes and top with the mushroom-chard mixture. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serves 4.

Per serving: 208 calories (39 percent from fat), 9 g fat (2.1 g saturated, 5.5 g monounsaturated), 4.9 mg cholesterol, 6.5 g protein, 26.1 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 168 mg sodium.
0 Replies