Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:37 am
@msolga,
That's so new!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 04:54 pm
Apparently there's a 'convoy of no confidence in canberra today by 'peoplewhoareangryaboutstuff'

The tweets are hilarious http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23honkhonk

Along this line:
Protest organizers have failed to organize a traffic jam in peak hour, in a city with one main road through it. #honkhonk

Love the hash tag. Waves to all the great people he left in Canberra.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:21 pm
@hingehead,
Yep.

Listening to ABC local radio.
Jon Faine interviewed one of the organisers of his demonstration.
The man couldn't quite explain what it was all about ....apart from that we need a change of government ... now.

Jon Faine: "But you can't just demand a new election anytime you're unhappy with the government. That's what elections are for."

Then a number of callers on talkback. One man said all Australians hated this government & that it was "ruining the country".
Jon Faine (in remarkably patient mode) asked him if he knew that in fact he'd be better off financially under the government's carbon plan. Did he understand that? This was news to the man.
Had he read the information the government had sent him?
No he hadn't bothered to.
And the newspapers hadn't informed him he'd be better off ...
Meanwhile, other callers going nuts about the sheer ignorance of these "truckie demonstrators".

This is sounding more Tea Party-ish by the minute. These people haven't a clue. Neutral

Quote:
Honk if you want a new government: truck convoy calls for poll
Tony Wright
August 22, 2011/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/21/2572147/gordon-crawford_wide-420x0.jpg
Perth trucker Gordon Crawford has joined the Convoy of No Confidence that is protesting against everything the Gillard government represents. Photo: Stefan Postles

Comments 25

''THE main point is we need a new government,'' said Noel Porter, standing by his massive semi-trailer in the New South Wales village of Coolac, recently bypassed by the Hume Highway.

Mr Porter, of the western Victorian town of Colac, had spent the day leading a convoy of more than 30 placard-and-flag-bedecked vehicles more than 450 kilometres up the highway towards a date this morning at Parliament House, Canberra, where 11 convoys from across the nation will converge in protest at almost everything the Gillard government stands for.

''There'll be thousands of us from all over Australia,'' predicted Mr Porter, who owns a road haulage business and said his participation in the protest was costing him thousands of dollars .... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/honk-if-you-want-a-new-government-truck-convoy-calls-for-poll-20110821-1j4ul.html
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:23 pm
@msolga,
you should have a listen.
Another talkback session coming up soon.

http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/programs/webcam_radio.htm?ref=listenliveradio
hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 05:49 pm
@msolga,
So the protestors are all for tearing up the constitution? Still loving the irony of last week's 'Ditch the witch' protesters saying that democracy is dead in Australia while they held a free protest on the grounds of parliament house. Sigh.

I love that the slightly better read ones are calling for a double dissolution election. i.e. I can say big words but I don't know what they mean.

It really is a tea party moment isn't it? Fortunately Oz never does things as monumentally gung ho as the US. At least they're getting involved.

Sad that their moment in the sun is merely opportunity to parade their ignorance.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 06:22 pm
@hingehead,
Yep, it's pretty sad.
I do understand why many of the not-so-well-off are worried about their future. Having trouble making ends meet. Tightening their belts. Concerned about job security & the high cost of living .....etc, etc, etc ..... I share a lot of their concerns.
But seriously, I doubt they'd be any less worried at the moment if we had a Liberal government in power. There is such a thing as external economic forces which they are not including in the equation.
These people are being manipulated by powerful forces which are only looking after their own financial interests. They are being led to believe that everything is the fault of the Gillard government.
I kinda feel sorry for them, but they are ignorant.

Yep, it's a Tea Party moment.

Jon Faine has said again & again this morning that Labor has done a dismal job of explaining its carbon reduction policy to ordinary people ... & that is part of the reason why that they are so fearful.
Me,I don't know.
I think you have to make some effort to to educate yourself.
But I think the media, especially the right wing media, hasn't helped matters at all ....
hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 06:41 pm
@msolga,
I agree completely - the lack of understanding is wilful. That quote you gave from the radio is indicative.

When some poor bastard feeding a family of four on $40K a year thinks the mining companies need a tax break - that is manipulation.

That 1 million extra Australians won't have to fill in a tax return is wonderful - but does any bugger mention it? That everything China is doing points the way to their intention of having lower carbon future is blatantly obvious - but who pays attention?

Have you noticed the tone of the asylum seeker debate is veering toward onshore processing? But none of the pundits will come out and say that turning back the boats is a priority because of mass idiocy in the suburbs of Sydney who really don't have a clue about the scale of immigration we get via boats and who imagine vast hordes invading us. Never mind that Italy or Spain get more in a year than we've got in the last two decades.

Makes me want to cry.

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:01 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Have you noticed the tone of the asylum seeker debate is veering toward onshore processing? But none of the pundits will come out and say that turning back the boats is a priority because of mass idiocy in the suburbs of Sydney who really don't have a clue about the scale of immigration we get via boats and who imagine vast hordes invading us. Never mind that Italy or Spain get more in a year than we've got in the last two decades.

No, to tell the truth, I hadn't noticed.
But that might be because I'd stopped reading. In sheer despair.
But you might be right.
From today's Age. (And yes, it's good ol Malcolm again! ):

Quote:
End the appeal to meanness
Malcolm Fraser
August 22, 2011/the AGE

Opinion

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/21/2572339/art-353-dyson-200x0.jpg
Illustration: Andrew Dyson.

There is a better way to deal with asylum seekers - one that would recognise the decency of Australians.

A NEW opinion poll on attitudes to asylum seekers says a great deal about the innate decency and concern of Australians - and it says more about the poor judgment of our politicians, about the incapacity of political leaders of both parties to stand on principle, and about their demonstrated willingness to take the debate to the bottom of the barrel.

The Age/Nielsen poll, published last week, found 53 per cent of those surveyed said asylum seekers should be processed onshore. Sixty-four per cent said they should be held in detention and 32 per cent said they should be allowed to live in the community. Sixty per cent said genuine refugees should be allowed to stay permanently and 36 per cent said they should be allowed to stay until it was safe for them to return to their own countries.

Those bare statistics give a totally different view of majority Australian attitudes to asylum seekers than that which is displayed by Australian politicians of either party. It is a remarkable tribute to the good sense and compassion of Australians, especially since politicians have been slandering asylum seekers as bad people for so long.
Advertisement: Story continues below

It also demonstrates that if either one of the political parties had argued for a reasonable, compassionate, humane policy - that people fleeing terror and death at home should be assessed onshore - then that view would have won the day.

It was Tampa that began it all 10 years ago, and I can remember a discussion I had, brief though it was, with then Labor leader Kim Beazley. While I knew the ALP was divided on the issue, I knew many people in the Labor Party hated the Tampa policy. I also knew there were many people in the Liberal Party and many uncommitted who hated and despised those policies.

I put the view that if he fought for a decent policy, for a humane policy, he would pick up votes against the then government, a government that was fighting desperately for survival and prepared to play politics with the lives of the most vulnerable people on earth in an attempt to buy votes. My conversation with Beazley ended when he looked at me pityingly and said: ''Malcolm, you don't understand what it is all about. Howard has whipped so many rednecks out of the Labor Party, I am not going to let him whip any more.'' How could he say it more plainly? ....<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/end-the-appeal-to-meanness-20110821-1j4qq.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:12 pm
@hingehead,
Just re-read your post, hinge ...
Quote:
When some poor bastard feeding a family of four on $40K a year thinks the mining companies need a tax break - that is manipulation.

Sure is.
The thinking is so like the US "tax debate" isn't it?
But I suppose we can't tax the rich more because then we will cease to receive all those "trickle down" benefits! We need them to be obscenely wealthy! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:16 am
A plug for tonight's Australian Story, I know ...
But what an interesting piece of information!
We have always been told that Rupert "never interfered" in what his newspapers got up to in Oz. He just let them go their own way.
Just like he "knew nothing of what went on at NOTW!

Thank you, Ita. Smile

Quote:
Murdoch told me to have someone followed: Buttrose
Australian Story/ABC
Updated August 22, 2011 15:16:54

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/2850358-3x2-340x227.jpg
Ita Buttrose Photo: Ita Buttrose says Rupert Murdoch asked her to have someone followed. (ABC TV)

Media figure Ita Buttrose says Rupert Murdoch suggested she have someone followed while chasing a story in her time as editor-in-chief of the Sunday Telegraph and Daily Telegraph.

On Australian Story tonight, Ms Buttrose says the media mogul asked her to "go beyond what I thought I should do".

Ms Buttrose says the request came while working on a story at Mr Murdoch's request.

"I assigned a reporter to do it but [Mr Murdoch] wasn't happy with the result and said, 'No, that wasn't good enough. Have you followed this person?'."

Approaching then News Limited chief executive Ken Cowley, Ms Buttrose claims she said: "I can't give this instruction. I'm not having anybody that works for me, for whom I'm responsible, follow anybody. I don't want to be a part of it."

A News Limited spokesman in Sydney says Ms Buttrose's allegations are false.

"Mr Murdoch has never asked any journalist to do anything improper," the spokesman said.

"Mr Cowley has never been asked by Mr Murdoch to have a reporter conduct surveillance of any kind on any individual and nor would he have agreed to it had he been asked by Mr Murdoch or anyone else."

Ms Buttrose declined to reveal the subject of the print feature.

Ultimately "it was dropped, we didn't go on", she said.

"If you run a newspaper there's a responsibility that goes with it, and sometimes you have to be able to say to the boss, no, I don't think we should go down this path."

At 39, Ms Buttrose was the first woman to edit a major metropolitan newspaper in Australia.

She stayed at News Limited for four years, although "Rupert once said to me that he's got everything he wants out of an editor in 18 months".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-22/ita-buttrose-rupert-murdoch/2850338
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 07:22 pm
Readers' responses to yesterday's "truck convoy protest" in Canberra.
From the "letters" section of this morning's AGE.
Plus Tandberg's cartoon response.
Ha!:

Quote:
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/22/2574586/abbott-cartoon-420x0.jpg

Tony Abbott still the stunt man

A CACOPHONOUS convoy of semi-trailers and trucks descending on Parliament House does not make a credible protest about a carbon tax, and Tony Abbott should know better than to take part in it.

Abbott has not been able to accept that Julia Gillard succeeded with the independents in forming a government because she was the better negotiator - this is in line with the rules of the game. He now functions in an atmosphere of political petulance, and has decided that he will abandon all thoughts of negotiation and rely on manipulation instead.

This minority government is in line with the requirements of the constitution. No election is required for another two years. It cannot be altered by a noisy display by some transport operators under the delusion that they are leading some kind of political crusade. As to the drama playing at the Canberra Theatre, Julia will continue as the leading lady and Tony will remain the stunt man.

John Sheen, Shepparton

Healthy democracy

TRUCK convoy leader Noel Porter's request that an unelected governor-general dismiss a government elected by the people appears more than a little paradoxical in light of his description of the current government as ''this communist government". Mr Porter should also realise that freedom to run a protest without consequences is a sign of a healthy democracy, not a communist government.

Tony Devereux, Nunawading

Convoy to Canberra:

TONY Abbott shows disdain for the Parliament in which he serves as he jumps on every bandwagon, inciting civil unrest and indulging in vicious name-calling. Let Parliament follow its proper process, unhindered by people behaving like schoolyard bullies.

Diane Heath, Bacchus Marsh

I CAN'T recall a group of truckies being voted in to represent the views of the electorate.

Tim Bruwer, Diamond Creek

TONY Abbott is endeavouring to incite civil war and destroy democratic processes. Shame!

Geoff Webster, Euroa

HONK once if you want a new government, twice if you want a new opposition, and three times if you want new mining and media magnates.

Alan Holgate, Mooroolbark

WHERE were these noisy truck drivers and shock jocks when John Howard took us against our will into Iraq?

Ross Hosking, Bellevue Heights, SA

http://www.theage.com.au/national/letters/brompton-lodge-illogical-inclusion-20110822-1j6lp.html
hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 09:04 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
WHERE were these noisy truck drivers and shock jocks when John Howard took us against our will into Iraq?

Amen brother - tweeted something similar yesterday.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:11 pm
When the Oz comes down on Jones we just know Rupert is going for brand differentiation Wink

Alan Jones’ greatest truckin’ songs
Source
Jack the Insider Blog | August 23, 2011 | 15 Comments
The Convoy of No Confidence rolled into Canberra yesterday, leaving everyone a bit underwhelmed.

I spoke with one of the organisers last week; National Road Freighters’ Association vice president, Darryl Pedersen. Pedersen was expecting up to 4000 protesters and with the 300 or so in attendance he would have been disappointed.

Pedersen spoke about the close contact his organisation had with the Australian Federal Police. The aim was to minimise disruption within Canberra. This is a thoroughly decent ambition from a protest movement and the organisers should be praised for it. But more of that later.

Pedersen detailed the loose coalition of lobby groups who had joined in the protest. Some were visceral with rage over the embargo on live cattle exports, others the carbon tax. Some were disturbed by Penny Wong’s impending parenthood. Pedersen also raised the spectre of asylum-seekers.

I asked Pedersen what he thought of the Malaysian Solution and the Nauruan Solution but he seemed disinclined to analyse the specifics, preferring a certain disgruntled air on the issue in general.

Overall, the group of protesters were downright angry with the government and the string that tied them all together was a demand for a new election.

All right, it was a forlorn protest but protests often are. In the Howard years, there were protests on the streets on a fairly regular basis, too. Gigantic papier-mache puppet heads were the rule back then. Offensive signs were a feature as they are now. On the ground, little has changed.
Alas, it is the fate of the modern protester to fall prey to Godwin’s law. The swastika was pointed at Howard then and it gets a run with Gillard from time to time now.

Just like the good old days when demos were dominated by shrill urgers from any number of left-wing loony groups, the protest movements on the right are prone to splinter and fragment along organisational lines and that old chestnut of grass roots protest, self-interest.

One of the convoy coalition groups, the Australian Long Distance Owners & Drivers Association, claimed the NRFA was trying to seize the moment for its own as yet undetermined political purposes. ALDODA vice president Bill Woodyard accused NRFA president Mick Pattel of seeking “to promote his own political agenda.”

People’s Front of Judea? Splitters.

Protests about the spooky business of world government came from the left then. Now they come from the right. When it comes to protest movements in Australia the political spectrum is not linear; it’s a perfect circle.

Or to paraphrase that old advertising maxim, you’ll never go broke in this country going long on tin foil hat futures.

But even the organisers of the Convoy of No Confidence were not falling for the stunt that broadcaster Alan Jones tried to pull yesterday.

Jones said the smaller-than-expected crowd was because “thousands” of people had been blocked from attending the rally and that “hundreds” of trucks in the convoy had been stopped at the border as they tried to enter Canberra from New South Wales.

The Australian Federal Police responsible for what Jones claimed was “the most disgraceful thing that has ever been done to democracy” were said to be “baffled” by the remarks.

Jones was wrong and anyone who has followed his career with more than a passing interest will note that this is a fairly common occurrence. Indeed if you did wish to catalogue Jones’ position on any range of topics over the last three decades, you’d find he’s got a strike rate not dissimilar to Australia’s slow bowlers since the retirement of Shane Warne.

Among the heaving catalogue of instances where Alan Jones has found himself on the wrong side of history, there is one that is truly memorable.

Back in the late 1980s, South Africa was set to explode. The apartheid regime was on the brink of collapse with economic and sporting boycotts isolating the country financially and culturally.

In this time, the world became almost inured to the horrors of “necklacing” - spontaneous public executions in the black townships carried out by forcing a tyre doused in petrol over the victim’s arms and chest.

Alan Jones became convinced that Nelson Mandela was at the heart of this evil, arguing long and hard on his radio program that Mandela was a terrorist. He even debated the claims in an interview with Mike Willesee on A Current Affair. Willesee ripped Jones to shreds.

That Mandela remained a prisoner of the apartheid regime until 1990 was of no consequence to Jones. Neither was the fact that the ANC officially condemned the practice of necklacing.

Presumably Jones would have Mandela banged up back on Robben Island. If so, South Africa would have burned.

Ultimately, Mandela and the apartheid National President, Frederik Willem De Klerk, negotiated their way to multi-party elections in 1994. Both men were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.

Mandela was elected president in 1994 and the cataclysm that was set to befall South Africa was avoided due to the skill and charisma of arguably the greatest politician of the late 20th century.

You don’t hear Jones talk about this much these days. His position then was shrill yet fired with the same moral absolutism that he displays daily now on a range of topics but most notably the carbon tax and a visceral loathing of the Gillard Labor government.

And there he was yesterday, at it again. But the organisers of the rally were having none of Jones’ dark conspiracies.

Mick Pattel explained the lower than expected truck numbers, saying organisers had worked well with police, confirming what his vice president had told me a week earlier.

“It was very important that we didn’t disrupt the lives of Canberra people,” he told ABC TV.
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:06 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
When the Oz comes down on Jones we just know Rupert is going for brand differentiation Wink

Indeed, something seems to be going on at The Australian! Surprised Wink
And who do you suppose Jack, of the Insider Blog actually is?
Whoever he is, he'd better watch his back.
Brand differentiation tolerance only goes so far!

Two reasons for posting this link (from the AGE):

http://www.theage.com.au/national/police-consider-investigating-craig-thomson-credit-card-claims-20110823-1j7op.html

Reason #1 : an update on the Craig Thomson situation.
(I feel so sorry for Labor having to defend this fool to hold onto government!
Labor didn't need this right now.)

Quote:
NSW police say they will investigate allegations that federal Labor MP Craig Thomson misused his union credit card.

In a "clarification" statement this afternoon, police said: "Police are currently assessing information provided by Shadow Federal Attorney-General George Brandis to determine whether there are grounds that warrant an investigation."

"The NSW Police Force is not in a position to make any further comment."

So much for Abbott saying he wouldn't attempt to personally benefit from this mess, hey? Rolling Eyes

Reason #2:

Over on the the right hand side of the page, you'll find a link to a video entitled "Jones's off-stage rant at reporter".

Seems Alan Jones became very unpleasant (what a surprise! ) at a female SMH reporter who asked him if he was paid to attend the "truckies" rally.
Then got up on stage & got stuck into her with another of his rants.

Me, I'm thinking he was severely pissed off because the rally was such a fizzer. He was probably thinking this was his big Glenn Beck moment & things didn't quite work out that way.
Oh well, Alan, I suppose you just have to keep plugging away, won't you? Wink

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:17 am
@msolga,
Definitely a glen beck moment a la The Daily Show

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2011/07/the-10-best-jon-stewartglenn-beck-gotcha-moments.html
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:43 pm
I'm guessing it's time to nominate Carl Katter for Aussie of the year...

Sign the getup petition: http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/marriage-equality/petition/sign-now?t=dXNlcmlkPTcwODE2MixlbWFpbGlkPTMwOQ==
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:31 pm
@hingehead,
Good on you Carl!
Very courageous of you to speak out.
I can only imagine what the hell of growing up gay in that community felt like.
A much saner, gentler soul than his redneck (anti-gay, anti-abortion) brother.<shudder>:
http://images.smh.com.au/2011/05/23/2379524/lead_katter-420x0.jpg

It's a bit like the Costellos isn't it?
How could Peter & Tim have possibly come from the same family?
As different as chalk & cheese!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:26 pm
http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1392890.jpg
msolga

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:13 pm
@hingehead,
Eeeek!
Vile individual!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:20 pm
I just heard about this on ABC radio.
But I can't find the original article in (Murdoch's) the Australian.
Something to do with allegations about a former male friend of Julia Gillard, I gather ....
Anyone know what this is about?

Quote:
Apology to the Prime Minister

* August 29, 2011 10:03AM

The Australian newspaper published today an opinion piece by Glenn Milne which includes assertions about the conduct of the Prime Minister.

The Australian has acknowledged that these assertions are untrue.

The Australian has unreservedly apologised to the Prime Minister and its readers for the publication of these false claims.

http://www.news.com.au/apology-to-the-prime-minister/story-fn7djq9o-1226124281624this is about?