Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:55 pm
@msolga,
This (edited) comment almost perfectly sums up where I stand, too.

Quote:
....if we surrender the right to disagree with the Americans, particularly when we feel they are being badly led, we surrender a basic freedom .... the right to a distinctly Australian view.

....I do not wish to be anti-American, but I do wish to be pro-Australian.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:09 pm
It looks like most of the Wikileaks (concerning Australia & our region) are being published in the Age newspaper.

Here are some of them. There are quite a few to come yet.

Interesting that so many of the leaks concern Indonesia. Obviously our relationship with Indonesia is a primary concern.

I've quoted extracts from the AGE articles. If you want to, you can read the articles in full, from the links.:

More on how our government responded to the murder of Australian journalists by Indonesian military forces in 1975 ("the Balibo Five")

Quote:
In September last year, nearly 22 months after the case was referred to the federal government for action, the Australian Federal Police began its continuing war crimes inquiry into the killing of the journalists.

Shirley Shackleton, the wife of one of the murdered reporters, Greg Shackleton, said Australia should not have engaged in backroom diplomacy with Indonesia in connection to the murders.

''The cable makes us realise that Australia is not interested in justice, they are interested in smoothing relations with Indonesians,'' Ms Shackleton said.

''There is a constant pattern of deception from the Australian government.
Kevin Rudd has vowed that the Indonesian military should be held to account, but privately the Australian government doesn't do anything. This hasn't just gone on since the coroner's report, it has gone on since the murders.''

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/balibo-killer-blacklisted-but-mums-the-word-20101217-190qp.html

Intelligence assessments reveal that al-Qaeda & Jemaah Islamiyah are considered pretty much spent forces in Indonesia & the region, despite our government's claims (in justifying Australia's continued involvement in Afghanistan) to the contrary.

Quote:
A SECRET Australian intelligence assessment has declared the al-Qaeda terrorist network a failure and claims its regional offshoot, Jemaah Islamiyah, has been broken in Indonesia.

The head of Australia's top intelligence agency, the Office of National Assessments, told American diplomats in October 2008 that al-Qaeda “ultimately has failed to achieve the strategic leadership role it sought within the Islamic world".

The assessment undercuts a key argument of the Gillard government to justify Australia's continued commitment to the war in Afghanistan — that al-Qaeda could return to use the country as a terrorist training ground.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/terror-groups-broken-20101214-18x05.html

Increased instability in the region anticipated.
(East Timor might not be too pleased to be considered a "burden" by the Australian government. I'm sure the oil from the Timor Sea & the hoped-for processing centre for asylum seekers aren't!)

Quote:
Foreign Affairs Department deputy secretary David Richie warned that Australia faced a ''troubled neighbourhood … including an increase in illegal immigration from Indonesia … continuing political instability in Thailand; the 'basket case' of the Philippines; the continuing 'burden' of providing security and development assistance to East Timor; problems of bad governance in many of the Pacific Island states''.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/philippines-a-basket-case-and-timor-a-burden-20101214-18wsw.html

The US was pleased to see the last of Joel Fitzgibbon (then defence minister).
No surprises here. Wasn't everyone? Wink

Quote:
THE resignation of defence minister Joel Fitzgibbon last year was ‘‘a blessing in disguise’’ for the federal government, according to US embassy cables that savage his performance.

Leaked diplomatic cables reveal American diplomats in Canberra sharply critiqued Mr Fitzgibbon’s stint as defence minister, including his inattention to detail, ‘‘weak parliamentary performance’’ and ‘‘inability to obtain information’’ from the Defence Department.

The cables describe Mr Fitzgibbon, who is now chief government whip, as a poor choice as defence minister.

Throughout 2009, the US embassy sent several warnings to Washington about Mr Fitzgibbon’s increasingly fragile grasp on his portfolio.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/fitzgibbons-fall-declared-a-blessing-in-disguise-20101213-18vjw.html

Interesting insight into Indonesian/US diplomacy!
Seems one hell of a concession by Obama! Surprised

Quote:
Obama caved in on Kopassus

INDONESIA threatened to derail a visit to Jakarta by President Barack Obama earlier this year unless he overturned the US ban on training the controversial Kopassus army special forces.

Leaked US State Department cables reveal that Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono privately told the US that continuing the ban - introduced in 1999 because of Kopassus's appalling human rights record, including killings in East Timor and West Papua - was the ''litmus test of the bilateral relationship'' between the US and Indonesia.

Six months later, the US agreed to resume ties with Kopassus, despite fierce criticism from some human rights groups and American politicians about Jakarta's failure to hold officers to account for their role in atrocities.

The cables, released by WikiLeaks, detail US concerns about Indonesia's failure to prosecute the military personnel responsible for murder and torture during the conflicts in East Timor and Aceh.

But they also reveal that US diplomats in Jakarta believed that Mr Yudhoyono's demands should be met to ensure that Indonesia's military and security services would protect American interests in the region, including co-operation in the war on terror. It was also argued that closer military ties would encourage further reform of Indonesia's military.

The Indonesian leader's call to lift the Kopassus training ban is described in a January cable from the US embassy in Jakarta.

''President Yudhoyono (SBY) and other senior Indonesian officials have made it clear to us that SBY views the issue of Army Special Forces (KOPASSUS) training as a litmus test of the bilateral relationship and that he believes the … visit of President Obama will not be successful unless this issue is resolved in advance of the visit,'' the cable says.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/obama-caved-in-on-kopassus-20101216-18zlh.html

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:46 pm
Interesting ...
Andrew Wilkie blows the whistle again.
Good for him!

..and just at the time that Tony Abbott is trying to crank up the "debate" on asylum seekers to his own advantage..
Looks like he's capable of being considerably more pragmatic & obliging about this issue ..... when it actually suits his political purposes. :roll

I'm not sure about Wilkie's recommendation of "more intelligence and ''disruption operations in Indonesia", though ...

What exactly does he mean by this? :

Quote:
Abbott offered to double refugee intake, says Wilkie
Dylan Welch
December 20, 2010

TONY Abbott offered to double Australia's humanitarian refugee intake if Andrew Wilkie would help him form government following this year's federal election, the independent MP has revealed.

The revelation was one of several issues raised by Mr Wilkie - a refugee advocate and former intelligence analyst - in an interview with The Age yesterday, his first since the horrific boat tragedy off Christmas Island on Wednesday.

He revealed that he had turned down an offer from Prime Minister Julia Gillard to join her standing group on Christmas Island, declaring the group effectively useless and ''an additional layer of politicians''.

Mr Wilkie also called for more intelligence and ''disruption'' operations in Indonesia as well as increases in the humanitarian refugee intake, as part of a radical rethinking of Australia's asylum seeker policies.

''Four months ago the Opposition Leader said he supported a doubling of the humanitarian refugee intake, and if he now turns around and says no, it would turn that offer into a really ugly political gesture,'' Mr Wilkie said.

A spokesman for Mr Abbott yesterday declined to canvass what had been offered to Mr Wilkie, and would not be drawn on whether Mr Abbott supported an increase to the intake. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/abbott-offered-to-double-refugee-intake-says-wilkie-20101219-191xe.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:31 pm
Not terribly important in the grand scheme of things,I know ... but some of you might be interested in this opinion piece on Julia Gillard in the Guardian newspaper (UK).

Also the (86 already) comments (many Australian) in response ...

Quote:
Julia Gillard: a breath of fresh air for Aussies

Australia's PM rises above the usual rough and tumble of federal politics – and her mother will stop her becoming a Thatcher

My hero is Julia Gillard, Australia's prime minister. Her predecessor, Kevin Rudd, has many great qualities but knowing how to be a leader is not one of them. His party forced him to resign and Gillard, until then his deputy, took his place. ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/20/julia-gillard-australia-prime-minister?showallcomments=true#start-of-comments
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:54 am
I LOVE Get Up.

https://www.getup.org.au/files/campaigns/adelaidewelcome.pdf
hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:01 am
@dlowan,
That's brill!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:29 am
@dlowan,
That's wonderful, Deb.
Good for GetUp!
Will you be participating?
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:47 am
@msolga,
I can't do the walk:

a. I am working

b: I can't walk 34 miles!!!

I may be able to get up to the event....it will depend on the exigencies of the work day.

Edit:
Um...colour that a no...it was bloody well today!!!
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:53 am
@dlowan,
Well I could maybe walk 34 miles ... slowly.
But someone would probably have piggy-back me home! Smile

In any case, it's a really terrific idea.
I hope it's a huge success.

(You're still sounding over-worked, Deb.
Not good.)
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:57 am
@msolga,
I just checked the link you posted, Deb
It's tomorrow.
I wonder how many people who'd like to, won't be able to attend?
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:16 am
@msolga,
Erm...it's Tuesday the 21st, right? Today's the 21st.

Isn't it?

It has to be!! Tuesday's clients turned up!
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:21 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Isn't it?

Gad, I think it is ... or was.

It's now the day after. (22nd)

(I'm tired. I think I should go to bed! Laughing )
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:27 am
@msolga,
Tuesday for another 3 minutes here.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:29 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Isn't it?

Gad, I think it is ... or was.

It's now the day after. (22nd)

(I'm tired. I think I should go to bed! Laughing )

Don't DO that to me!!! I am close enough to nutso right now to get pushed over the edge if I think I have reached the stage where I am disoriented in time!!!
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:39 am
@dlowan,
Sorry!

I solemnly promise I won't do it again!

Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:41 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Tuesday for another 3 minutes here.

Now who's the confusing one!?
It's Wednesday, I tell you! Confused
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:20 am
@msolga,
It was where you are doofus.

We're half an hour behind.
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:28 pm
@dlowan,
That is where SA is a doofus. Smile
tenderfoot

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:45 pm
@msolga,
Illegal immigrants are illegal... They use the " escape from something or the other " to get around having to do it the way the others do it legally, there are other country's much closer to them ,where they can escape to for much less, but they don't have luxury accommodation ( up against where they come from )and chance to go on a huge (to them) financial assistance plan and never need to work again if they don't want to, once they are accepted. That's how I look on it.
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 02:44 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

That is where SA is a doofus. Smile

Erm...because the earth turns and we occupy a space further west than you?
0 Replies