Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 08:10 am
@hingehead,
Pardon?
I know nothing.
I know Bono's been here recently.
Something to do with that?
bungie

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:22 am
Keith Murdoch's expose that Australian troops were being needlessly slaughtered by incompetent British commanders on the shores of Gallipoli, led to the termination of that disastrous campaign.
Ninety six years later, WikiLeaks is also fearlessly publishing facts that need to be made public. The dark days of corruption in the Queensland government pre Fitzgerald inquiry are testimony to what happens when the politicians gag the media from reporting the truth. Assange has been accused of treason by the US, even though he is an Australian. Every time WikiLeaks publishes the truth about abuses committed by US agencies, Australian politicians decry the risking of lives, endangering troops, national security, then they say there is nothing of importance in the WikiLeaks' publication. Since they can't have it both ways, which is it ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 02:56 pm
@msolga,
Not here - in the paper.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2010/07/29/wikileaks-founders-lismore-roots/

(he's also reporting on Oprah's possible visit to Byron Bay http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2010/12/08/oprah-byron-lismore/)
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 04:57 pm
@msolga,
He helicoptered down the the 'Oprah' house for world AIDS day with the G.G., PM and NSW Premier and noted that he felt like Charlie from Charlie's Angels surrounded by three powerful women.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:38 pm
Still nowhere near clear on what the federal government's response to Wikileaks actually is.
The fallout in the media, in the meantime, in response to Julia Gillard's "illegal" comment continues, all over the place ..
Attorney-General Robert McClelland appears to have continued back-peddling on his original statements, no doubt in response to the public response he's received since.
You have to laugh at our attorney-general likening the investigation of Julian Assange to the investigation of Godwin Grech last year!
Nice try. Wink

This article is from the ABC .:

Quote:
Government handling of WikiLeaks 'clumsy at best'
Updated Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:47pm AEDT
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201012/r685930_5113531.jpg
Mr Assange was arrested by British police on Tuesday. (Reuters : Valentin Flauraud )
The Federal Government is struggling to justify its initial response to the WikiLeaks controversy.
Last week Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the placement of classified documents on WikiLeaks was an illegal act.

Today Attorney-General Robert McClelland was asked if the website's founder, Julian Assange, had broken any laws.

He would not say if he agreed with Ms Gillard's remarks.

"It's specifically not my job to comment on or allege any person has been involved in criminal conduct," he said.

"I am not the attorney-general for the United States of America. I have seen, however, reported, he who is a highly competitive lawyer in his own right is, has requested that the issue of criminality be investigated."

Shadow attorney-general George Brandis says Ms Gillard, Mr McClelland and Home Affairs Minister Brendan O'Connor have all given different views on Mr Assange's conduct.

"At best, an extremely injudicious and clumsy way to deal with what they consider to be a criminal matter," Mr Brandis said.

Rob Oakeshott has joined fellow independent MP Andrew Wilkie in cautioning Ms Gillard on her response to the WikiLeaks affair.

Mr Oakeshott says Mr Assange deserves the presumption of innocence.

"I would hope from here on in they would focus on helping an Australian citizen in trouble before the law in another country," he said.

"I would hope they would focus on the presumption of innocence for all Australian citizens, including Julian Assange.
"

A spokesman for Mr McClelland says the Australian Federal Police has been asked to examine WikiLeaks material as it comes to light to determine whether an official investigation is warranted. ...<cont>

Mr McClelland says even though he considers the leaks to be "gossip", he has ordered the AFP to investigate because some of the documents include more serious information like security secrets that could lead to the destruction of things like electricity grids.

The Attorney-General has likened the pending investigation into Mr Assange and WikiLeaks to the investigation into public servant Godwin Grech, which took the AFP more than a year.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says the Government needs to work out a position and act appropriately.

"This whole question of whether or not he may or may not have broken laws, at least as the Government's commentary is concerned, seems to show that this is not really an adult government," he said.

Mr Abbott says Senator Brandis has made the Opposition's opinion clear in that he believes Mr Assange has acted in a way that is morally reprehensible but did not appear to breach Australian law. ..<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/10/3090549.htm
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:57 pm
@msolga,
Apparently "left wing MPs" have been confiding their thoughts with (Rupert Murdoch's) The Australian newspaper! Surprised
What on earth is going on, you may well ask? Wink

Anyway, it appears quite a number of them are not at all happy with Julia's handling of the Assange affair.
Not remotely surprising, who is?:

Quote:
Julia Gillard's Left flank revolts over Julian Assange
Patricia Karvelas
December 11, 2010 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/12/10/1225969/239588-labor-mps.jpg
Protesters back Julian Assange outside the Sydney Town Hall yesterday. Picture: Greg Wood Source: The Australian

JULIA Gillard is facing a revolt from MPs in her left-wing parliamentary faction, enraged at the treatment of Julian Assange.

The MPs are demanding the government stop treating Mr Assange as a criminal and protect his rights as an Australian citizen and whistleblower.

A large number of MPs have spoken to The Weekend Australian to express grave concerns at the language ministers and the Prime Minister are using in relation to Mr Assange.

Laurie Ferguson, a friend and factional colleague of Ms Gillard who was dumped as parliamentary secretary for multicultural affairs and settlement services, told The Weekend Australian the government had overreacted to the WikiLeaks release of secret US documents. He said the information that had been released was crucial to democracy and exposing the truth.

"It hasn't been borne out that people have been endangered by this information," Mr Ferguson said.

"On the other side of the ledger, I think it is important that the world is informed on how intense the Saudis are about Iran's nuclear program and, for instance, that some members of the federal Labor Party caucus are so heavily engaged in briefing another nation."

Mr Ferguson took a veiled swipe at Sports Minister Mark Arbib, saying he was glad it was now well-known that the right-wing Labor frontbencher was a secret source for the US government.

His comments came as Attorney-General Robert McClelland was yesterday unable to explain how Mr Assange had broken Australian law.

Mr McClelland indicated an Australian Federal Police investigation into whether WikiLeaks had committed a criminal act could go on for more than a year.

The government has come under fire after Ms Gillard appeared to pass judgment on Mr Assange, declaring that "the foundation stone of this WikiLeaks issue is an illegal act".

One senior left-wing MP said, on the condition of anonymity, that the government had taken a "harsh" line on Mr Assange and had "angered" its left-wing base internally and in the community.

Another said Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd had "got it right" on the WikiLeaks case while Ms Gillard had "messed it up".

Mr Rudd this week took aim at US security levels surrounding the handling of classified confidential information, rather than Mr Assange. He said those who originally leaked the documents were legally liable.

The left-wing Labor MP who heads the economics caucus committee, Sharon Grierson, said she had sympathy for Mr Assange because he believed in freedom of information and the public interest test being applied.

"It's terribly important to keep asserting that Australians will always and do always look after their citizens," Ms Grierson said. "They have rights and protection under the law, and we would all want to see those applied in that case."

Ms Grierson said the world had embraced the open, globalised flow of information, and had to deal with its consequences. "We now have to find ways to respond to that which are reasonable, not irrational in any way," she said.

West Australian Labor MP Melissa Parke said the Swedish rape charges against Mr Assange were unusual and he should not be treated as a criminal.

"I am concerned about the statements in the United States that Julian Assange or his family should be subjected to physical violence, and I strongly condemn them," Ms Parke said.

"The charges from Sweden sound highly unusual on the basis of the information available, and I expect the British courts to take a long hard look at that before any decision on extradition is made. ..<cont>

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/wikileaks/julia-gillards-left-flank-revolts-over-julian-assange/story-fn775xjq-1225969233504
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:05 am
Also from today's Australian ..:

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/12/10/1225969/221444-101211-leak.jpg
hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:27 am
@msolga,
Do you think Assange's piece mentioning Keith Murdoch has rubbed Rupert the right way? Or is it just a case of if the ALP's going one way we're going the other.

It's really weird when you consider the Fox News rhetoric.
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:47 am
@hingehead,
Of course that is possible, hinge.
Rupert probably loved his dad. Wink

I suspect that Rupert might have an ulterior motive here. (Doesn't he, all too often often? Wink )
Which might be ...
... to change the political party which governs Australia. (Call me cynical.)
Unfortunately all this stuff, good bad & indifferent, is mixed up together.

There is so much out there in the Oz media, I simply can't keep up.
Can you?

Quote:
It's really weird when you consider the Fox News rhetoric.

I've watched quite a few of those video reports.
Shocked
It makes me think that Oz is a very sane place. I'm so glad I live here.
A lot of really furious people here at the moment, but not one suggestion of killing anyone (not even Mark Arbib! Wink ) so far. (Fingers crossed!)
If any Australian politician called for killing or execution as a response to any political situation, they'd be branded as unstable, nuts ..
They'd be dead meat.
And would probably be sacked by their own party as a result. Completely unacceptable.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 04:13 am
A bit of light Wikileaks Christmas material (bet you didn't think that was possible!), courtesy of Annabel ...

Clear your throats, you've gotta sing this!

Ready?

Here we go, boys & girls! Very Happy

Quote:

The twelve leaks of Christmas

By Annabel Crabb

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200812/r322549_1440097.jpg

On the first day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; The love-notes of Berlusconi.

On the second day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; One Saudi King, wanting bombs 'cross the Caspian Sea.

On the third day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Russian crooks, Cooking the books; And mobsters in the K-G-B.

On the fourth day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Teams of Chinese hacks, Wearing black; Staging mass attacks, On the Dalai Lama's I-S-P.

On the fifth day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Mark A-r-bib! Telling Yankee spies, Dreadful lies, So to apprise, Them of Kevin Rudd's control freak-e-ry.

On the sixth day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Afghanistani, Corr-up-tion thrills! Fifty-two mill, Clean crisp bills, Straight from the till, To the plane of the former V-P.

On the seventh day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Hordes of White House hagglers, Trading Cuban stragglers, To poor count-ries! White House tete-a-tetes; Nice cheese plates, And such tempting rates - For a Guantanamo detain-ee.

On the eighth day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Eight urine samples; Seven secret passwords; Six hidden cameras; Watched constant-ly! Four strands of hair, Three tin spoons, (used by Ban Ki-Moon) And sent back home to Hill-a-ry.

On the ninth day of Christmas
, WikiLeaks gave to me; Two Swedish ladies, Not keen on tradies, Freaky Aussie bloke; Condom that broke; Cal-am-i-ty! Modes of undress; Who said yes? What a bloody mess. For the champion of demo-cra-cy.

On the tenth day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Ten cables leaking; Kevin can't stop speaking; Yanks think he's foolish; Journos getting ghoulish; But Kevin's mulish: "I JUST DON'T CARE!" Just give Hill a ring; Bomb Beijing, That would be the thing, For our robust diplo-ma-cy.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me: A spot of tiger shooting, With Mr Putin, And Berlusconi, Lest he get lonely; Gordon Brown is lazy, North Korea crazy; Mer-kel's a BORE! Pakistan's a curse. It gets worse; There's a comely nurse, On the lap of Colonel Gaddafi.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, WikiLeaks gave to me; Twelve hackers hacking; Visa sent packing; Bankers are wailing; Not to mention Palin; Todd's banking details; Anyone in retail; Fears Wikileaks's, Ar-mies of geeks. Working from home; All alone, Using Daddy's phone, Looking forward to pu-ber-ty!

Annabel Crabb is ABC Online's chief political writer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/10/3090386.htm?site=thedrum
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 05:15 am
Quote:
VIDEO: Clarke and Dawe Christmas special
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcast: 09/12/2010
7:30 Report

Reporter: John Clarke and Bryan Dawe

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2010/s3089578.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:23 am
Wikileaks fallout ..:

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/12/2091658/1_svLETTERS_DEC13-420x0.jpg
msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:25 am
@msolga,

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/13/2092246/petty1-620x0.jpg
msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:31 am
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/11/2090865/Tandberg-Crowd-11-Dec-600x400.gif
msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:56 am
@msolga,
So, despite a spirited ongoing public campaign, our prime minister has said absolutely nothing to support Julian Assange's rights, say nothing of making a strong public statement in support of his safety.

Despite the the hysterical US reaction ... calls for execution, hanging, kidnapping & god knows what else .. from politicians, media commentators & crazy people on internet blogs, our prime minister says nothing.

If so many prominent public figures in this country ... legal experts, lawyers, academics, parliamentarians, artists, writers & the rest of us ordinary people are urging Julia to simply do her job as prime minister of Australia ... to state strongly & forcefully that this sort of treatment of an Australian citizen is unacceptable, but yet still she says nothing ... then she has surely abrogated her position as the leader of this country.

I cannot tell you how much it saddens me to say this. But that's how I see it. This responsibility is an important part of her job as prime minister. And she's gone missing in action at a critical time. (Apart from one public appearance with Oprah, in Melbourne last week. Neutral )

Whatever her reasons, she has lost a helluva lot of respect & support.
Whoever is advising her is completely out of touch with the Australian people.

And me, I couldn't care less anymore about the likely adverse impact on her political future, I care much more about the impact of this situation on the future of the Australian Labor Party. Australian workers will wear the cost of this disaffection with their leadership, if Labor loses its precarious hold on government.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:53 am
Wikileaks:
Another open letter to the Australian prime minister, this time from Australian newspaper & media editors, taking a stand on the right to publish in the public interest.:

Quote:
Editors lambast government bid to stifle information
Michelle Grattan
December 15, 2010

WIKILEAKS is doing what the media have always done, bringing to light material governments would prefer to keep secret, newspaper editors and other media figures say in an open letter to Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

They say the reaction of the Australian and US governments is deeply troubling and there is no evidence Julian Assange and WikiLeaks have broken Australian law.

The letter says the government is investigating whether Mr Assange has committed an offence while Ms Gillard has condemned WikiLeaks' action as ''illegal'', but so far it ''has been able to point to no Australian law that has been breached''.

Among the signatories are Paul Ramadge, The Age editor-in-chief; Peter Fray, The Sydney Morning Herald editor-in-chief; Simon Pristel, editor of the Herald Sun; Melvin Mansell, editor of The Advertiser; Michael Crutcher, editor of the Courier Mail; Garry Linnell, editor of the Daily Telegraph; Gay Alcorn, editor of The Sunday Age; Eric Beecher, chairman of Crikey; Kate Torney, ABC director of news; Mike van Niekerk, editor-in-chief of Fairfax online; Rick Feneley, editor of The Sun-Herald; and David Penberthy, editor-in-chief of news.com.au.

''The leaking and publication of diplomatic correspondence is not new. We, as editors and news directors of major media organisations, believe the reaction of the US and Australian governments to date has been deeply troubling,'' they say. ''We will strongly resist any attempts to make the publication of these or similar documents illegal.

''Any such action would impact not only on WikiLeaks, but every media organisation in the world that aims to inform the public about decisions made on their behalf. WikiLeaks, just four years old, is part of the media and deserves our support.''

The signatories say they do not support the publication of material that threatened national security or which puts lives in danger.

''Those judgments are never easy, but there has been no evidence to date that the WikiLeaks material has done either,'' they say. ....

http://www.theage.com.au/national/editors-lambast-government-bid-to-stifle-information-20101214-18wtc.html
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:33 am
@msolga,
Just found a copy of that open letter to the prime minister in full.

Here it is.:

Quote:
Dear Prime Minister,

STATEMENT FROM AUSTRALIAN NEWSPAPER EDITORS, TELEVISION AND RADIO DIRECTORS AND ONLINE MEDIA EDITORS

The leaking of 250,000 confidential American diplomatic cables is the most astonishing leak of official information in recent history, and its full implications are yet to emerge. But some things are clear. In essence, WikiLeaks, an organisation that aims to expose official secrets, is doing what the media have always done: bringing to light material that governments would prefer to keep secret.

In this case, WikiLeaks, founded by Australian Julian Assange, worked with five major newspapers around the world, which published and analysed the embassy cables. Diplomatic correspondence relating to Australia has begun to be published here.

The volume of the leaks is unprecedented, yet the leaking and publication of diplomatic correspondence is not new. We, as editors and news directors of major media organisations, believe the reaction of the US and Australian governments to date has been deeply troubling. We will strongly resist any attempts to make the publication of these or similar documents illegal. Any such action would impact not only on WikiLeaks, but every media organisation in the world that aims to inform the public about decisions made on their behalf. WikiLeaks, just four years old, is part of the media and deserves our support.

Already, the chairman of the US Senate homeland security committee, Joe Lieberman, is suggesting The New York Times should face investigation for publishing some of the documents. The newspaper told its readers that it had ‘‘taken care to exclude, in its articles and in supplementary material, in print and online, information that would endanger confidential informants or compromise national security.’’ Such an approach is responsible — we do not support the publication of material that threatens national security or anything which would put individual lives in danger. Those judgements are never easy, but there has been no evidence to date that the WikiLeaks material has done either.

There is no evidence, either, that Julian Assange and WikiLeaks have broken any Australian law. The Australian government is investigating whether Mr Assange has committed an offence, and the Prime Minister has condemned WikiLeaks’ actions as ‘‘illegal’’. So far, it has been able to point to no Australian law that has been breached.

To prosecute a media organisation for publishing a leak would be unprecedented in the US, breaching the First Amendment protecting a free press. In Australia, it would seriously curtail Australian media organisations reporting on subjects the government decides are against its interests.

WikiLeaks has no doubt made errors. But many of its revelations have been significant. It has given citizens an insight into US thinking about some of the most complex foreign policy issues of our age, including North Korea, Iran and China.

It is the media’s duty to responsibly report such material if it comes into their possession. To aggressively attempt to shut WikiLeaks down, to threaten to prosecute those who publish official leaks, and to pressure companies to cease doing commercial business with WikiLeaks, is a serious threat to democracy, which relies on a free and fearless press.

Yours faithfully

Clinton Maynard, news director, 2UE

David Penberthy, editor-in-chief, news.com.au

Eric Beecher, chairman, Crikey, Smart Company, Business Spectator, The Eureka Report

Gay Alcorn, editor, The Sunday Age

Garry Bailey, editor, The Mercury (Hobart)

Garry Linnell, editor, The Daily Telegraph

Ian Ferguson, director of news and programs, Sky News Australia/New Zealand

Jim Carroll, network director of news and public affairs, Ten Network

Julian Ricci, editor, Northern Territory News

Kate Torney, director of news, ABC

Mark Calvert, director of news and current affairs, Nine Network

Melvin Mansell, editor, The Advertiser (Adelaide)

Megan Lloyd, editor, Sunday Mail (Adelaide)

Michael Crutcher, editor, The Courier Mail,

Mike van Niekerk, editor in chief, Fairfax online

Paul Cutler, news director, SBS

Paul Ramadge, editor-in-chief, The Age

Peter Fray, editor-in-chief, The Sydney Morning Herald

Peter Meakin, director of news and public affairs, Seven Network

Rick Feneley, editor, The Sun-Herald

Rob Curtain, news director, 3AW

Rod Quinn, editor, The Canberra Times

Sam Weir, editor, The Sunday Times

Scott Thompson, The Sunday Mail (Queensland)

Simon Pristel, editor, Herald Sun

Tory Maguire, editor, The Punch

Walkley Advisory Board

Gay Alcorn

Mike Carlton

Helen Dalley

John Donegan

Peter Meakin

Laurie Oakes

Jeni O'Dowd

Alan Kennedy

Malcolm Schmidtke

Fenella Souter

http://www.walkleys.com/news/1076/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:22 pm
Oh no.
This is absolutely terrible.
No time to follow up now ...

Quote:

'There's a tragedy unfolding here': asylum seeker boat crashes off Christmas Island
December 15, 2010 - 2:05PM

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/15/2096440/boat420-420x0.jpg
The boat smashed up against the rocks, shown on a video image from Channel 7.
Locals are reporting up to 50 people could have died after a boat carrying about 70 asylum seekers crashed into cliffs at Christmas Island this morning.

The drama happened near Flying Fish Cove about 6am local time (10am AEDT) today. The navy is trying to rescue survivors, but witnesses say they are facing an uphill struggle.

One witness told Sky News up to 50 people may have perished in the heavy seas.

Christmas Island Shire president Gordon Thomson said, "There are people in the water crying out for help.

"There's a tragedy unfolding here. Speak to the police," he added.

Witness Michael Foster told Sky News that survivors were being ferried to a customs boat in deeper waters as conditions were so bad that there was ''no chance to get on land ... unless they helicopter them (onshore)''.

....The Immigration Department reports that, so far this year, 126 boats have arrived in Australia, with 2971 people housed at the detention centre on Christmas Island. .....

http://www.theage.com.au/wa-news/theres-a-tragedy-unfolding-here-asylum-seeker-boat-crashes-off-christmas-island-20101215-18xkm.html
0 Replies

Prickle

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 01:08 am
Poor people. Terrible waste.
Pity they didn't come through the front door.