Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 04:26 am
Last post on the media, I promise. Wink
Just read this, published in today's Drum (ABC News)
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ben Eltham!
These incredibly persistent non-story beat-ups have been driving me nuts!
Lift your game, Oz journos!

Quote:
A made-up story has passed for news in much of the nation's supposedly "quality" media for days now: the looming leadership challenge against Julia Gillard by Kevin Rudd.

In case you hadn't noticed, there hasn't been a spill. There wasn't one yesterday, there hasn't been one so far today, and there almost certainly won't be one tomorrow. Not only has no leadership challenge occurred, but all the politicians involved publicly maintain that there won't be. A large number of Labor MPs are also saying privately that no leadership challenge is imminent.

The only people who are saying that a leadership challenge is on the cards are a small number of "Rudd supporters", none of whom have had the guts to go on the record with their real names, and a bunch of journalists who would probably fail a first-year journalism subject if they submitted the sort of articles that have been published in abundance in recent days. ..... <cont>

After the fact: adventures in new journalism:
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3813404.html
msolga

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:45 am
@hingehead,
Just watched Monday night's Q&A on iview.
Hooray, it's back!
Gotta admire Penny Wong ... cool & lucid under pressure, or what?
And as for Joe Hockey ..... 12000 public servants jobs to go ... in Canberra alone?
Did I get that right?
Cripes!
hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 06:40 am
@msolga,
Wow - if the libs do win the next election and razor gang the PS - buy real estate!!!! They'll end up employing more than ever.

I bought in 1998 18mths after Howard cut the PS and - thousands moved out of Canberra, my place tripled in value in 6 years as they employed them all back and more.

Any way some nice Albo rhetoric on the censure motion
http://anthonyalbanese.com.au/suspension-of-standing-sessional-orders-censure-motion

Tony Abbott - in your guts you know he's nuts.
dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:36 am
@msolga,
Though Michelle Grattan (sp?) appears to think there's something in the leadership challenge.....and she's pretty experienced.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:37 am
@hingehead,
You bought in Canberra?
dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:40 am
@msolga,
That's interesting Msolga.

We desperately need a bi-partisan position. It's unspeakable that it is used as a political football.
hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:12 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
You bought in Canberra?

In 98 - I'd been living there since 87 - it seemed to make sense at the time....
dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:51 pm
@hingehead,
It did indeed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:43 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
We desperately need a bi-partisan position. It's unspeakable that it is used as a political football.

Yes.

I will repeat that in bold, in case any of our leaders' minders are listening, Deb.:

We desperately need a bi-partisan position (on asylum seekers) . It's unspeakable that it is used as a political football.
0 Replies

Bootlace

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:29 pm
What is the answer to asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, and/or people overstaying their visas?
What should the Australian government be doing ?
Should there be detention centres or not ?
Everyone seems to be complaining but nobody is spelling out the answer.
Any takers ?
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:19 pm
Mrs Hinge has just emailed me that Alan Jones has joined Bob Katter's Australia Party.
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:23 pm
@hingehead,
That's funny, hinge.
Those two will make quite a pair!
So I guess Jones will be campaigning for Katter on his radio program then?
Thank the goddess I live in Melbourne?
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:25 pm
@msolga,
Yes, I've suggested they should be renamed the Drunk Uncle Party.

I'm guessing Bob 'There are no poofters in my electorate' Katter is unaware of Alan 'arrested in an English public lavatory' Jones' predilections.
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:44 pm
@Bootlace,
Quote:
Any takers ?

Well there have been quite a few "takers" on this thread in the past on this issue. That hasn't been problem.
Quote:
Everyone seems to be complaining but nobody is spelling out the answer.

The problem, as I see it (& have said before) is that the "issue" of asylum seekers has become such a political football ... point scoring over the relative merits of Nauru & the "Pacific Solution", Malaysia, etc, etc.
It would seem much more sensible if the government & the opposition attempted to resolve the problems (particularly to avoid more deaths at sea at the hands of "people smugglers", which they both claim to be very concerned about ) rather than than the constant bickering & point scoring.
Me, I'd much prefer that Australia meets its commitments as a signatory to UN conventions in its treatment of asylum seekers.
Did you read Robert Mann's article (above)?
Any thoughts on that?

Here's some Oz government information about asylum seekers. Well worth a read.:

Quote:
Asylum seekers and refugees: what are the facts?

What is the difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee? ........................................................ 2
Are asylum seekers ‘illegals’? .................................................................................................................. 2
Are asylum seekers ‘queue jumpers’? ..................................................................................................... 4
Do most asylum seekers arrive by boat? ................................................................................................. 6
Do boat arrivals ‘bring disease’ and are they a threat to security? ......................................................... 7
Are boat arrivals ‘genuine refugees’? ...................................................................................................... 8
Do boat arrivals ‘take all Australia’s refugee places’? ........................................................................... 10
Do refugees receive higher welfare benefits than Australians? ............................................................ 10
Is Australia being ‘swamped by boat arrivals’?...................................................................................... 11
Is Australia being ‘swamped with asylum claims’? ................................................................................ 13
Do developed countries bear the burden of hosting asylum seekers and refugees? ........................... 14

Asylum seekers and refugees: what are the facts?:
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/bn/sp/AsylumFacts.pdf

-
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:53 pm
@hingehead,
Oh my goodness.
(I didn't know that! Gosh.)
Sounds like conflict ahead for the Drunk Uncles!
Is the anti-gay position an important "platform" of Katter's party?
I've heard him say some really silly things, but I don't know about his party's policies.
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 07:30 pm
@msolga,
I don't know Olgs - I really have no interest in learning about the party - just the odd one minute grab of Katter talking is all I need to know that my vote won't be going that way.
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 07:41 pm
@hingehead,
Strange, I also have little interest, hinge. Wink

It's a pity about Bob Katter ... for a minute there, after the last election result, he was sounding almost half-sensible.

hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 08:32 pm
@msolga,
He has that ability - but his narcissism always comes crashing back - he is a true drunk uncle. I recently saw him on telly bemoaning the fact that he wasn't allowed to shoot things in his own yard like he could when he was a boy.
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 09:06 pm
@hingehead,
Like the local wildlife, or the neighbour's cat? Neutral Confused
What on earth would you be wanting to shoot in your own backyard?
Ah, he's such a rugged individualist!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 09:37 pm
It's details of the proposed budget cuts that I want to see, before the next election.
Rather than this silly contest about who'll achieve a surplus first.
As if that's some sort of admirable end in itself.

Voters have every right to such information beforehand. (Witness the savage public sector spending cuts in Victoria right now. Not quite what the Liberals promised!)

What's the point of a budget surplus achieved through "savings" .... funding cuts to already struggling education, health, welfare & other essential public services?

Quote:
Abbott bows to pressure over budget surplus
Michelle Grattan
February 11, 2012/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/02/10/3017846/abbott-200x0.jpg
Tony Abbott: 'If Labor can deliver a surplus in the next financial year, we will certainly deliver a surplus in our first budget.' Photo: Michael Clayton-Jones

TONY Abbott has given in to pressure and provided a qualified timetable about when a Coalition government would have a budget surplus.

The Opposition Leader (pictured), who is facing difficulties funding his mounting commitments for the next election, has also refused to say he would abolish the means test that the government is set to impose on the health insurance rebate. The measure will yield $2.4 billion for the budget over three years.

Mr Abbott said the opposition would fight the government's legislation, for which Labor now seems certain to have the required crossbench support. But on whether he would reverse the legislation, he said: ''Ask me that question if we come to that situation.''

The opposition all week has refused to say whether it would deliver a surplus in a Coalition government's first term. The government seized on the statements, contrasting its own promise that the May budget would have a surplus.

Yesterday Mr Abbott changed the line. ''If Labor can deliver a surplus in the next financial year, we will certainly deliver a surplus in our first budget - because the budget position will always be better under the Coalition, because spending will always be under tighter rein under the Coalition.'' But he said it would be ''a miracle'' if Labor delivered a 2012-13 surplus. If it did, ''it will be because they are hitting the Australian people with more taxes, not because they have got government spending under control''.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard said Mr Abbott had come out with the 13th position the opposition had had on bringing the budget to surplus. ''They're in a complete muddle and that's not surprising because they've got to find $70 billion worth of cuts to services families need before they even get to the starting line about talking about how to do a surplus.''

Mr Abbott said the government's means test on the health insurance rebate ''is not just another flagrant broken promise - it is a direct hit on the cost of living of 2.5 million Australians''.

He called on the independent MPs ''to keep the government honest'', saying ''what's the point of having independent members of Parliament if they connive at dishonesty from a dishonest Prime Minister?''

Both Ms Gillard and Kevin Rudd ''swore until they were black and blue that there would be no means test on private health insurance'', Mr Abbott said. ''Now there is a means test coming through.''

Health Minister Tanya Plibersek released data which the government said showed why Mr Abbott had refused to commit to reinstating the 30 per cent rebate intact. Government modelling indicates the rebate will rise to 75 per cent of Medicare expenditure by 2050 - compared to the current proportion of 32 per cent.

Medicare expenditure grew 5.7 per cent in 2010-11 with a projected growth in 2011-12 of 5.1 per cent. This is much lower than in previous years. The Private Health Insurance Rebate Model assumes a growth rate of 8 per cent per annum, about the average growth over the past five years.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/abbott-bows-to-pressure-over-budget-surplus-20120210-1smc1.html

-

0 Replies