Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:16 pm
@Builder,
Yes & that ....
I'm with Keating on this one.
If the US wishes to engage in the "containment" of China, that's up to the US.
We shouldn't have implicated ourselves in US foreign policy, but rather, should remain on good terms with both countries.
And I also agree that Obama should not have made this declaration of US policy in the Australian parliament. Far more appropriate to do that in the US.
Builder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:29 pm
@msolga,
I'm wondering about how possible it would be to remain neutral in anything other than appearances, msolga.

China is not happy. But then, China is a major trading partner of the US, and holder of all that bad debt.

It's a mess all round, for mine. Does my head in to think about it now.

See why I just come here to read?? LOL

But it ain't that funny when you look right into it.
hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:36 pm
Harry Jenkins no longer speaker of the house (Slipper in, not sure who new deputy is - Anna Burke?)
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:39 pm
@Builder,
Nope, not too funny at all.

Paul Keating, in his Lateline interview (above) , seems to think it would be possible to keep on good terms with both countries. By Australian foreign policy remaining truly independent of both countries.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:52 pm
@hingehead,
Yes, I heard he's resigned on the radio while I was out.
Apparently he's tired of the job & wants to be part of the ALP cut + thrust in parliament again.

One question: does the speaker of the house get to vote? I don't think so, but what if there's a 50/50 vote in the house? Can the speaker supply the casting vote?
So what does this new Liberal appointment mean in the current situation?

Anna Bourke is from the ALP. She's been deputy speaker before.
http://www.annaburke.com/

Now I'm wondering about the deputy speaker's voting rights.

0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 11:28 pm
@msolga,
Glad to see you back msolga, read all the postings today, just a little feedback. Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 11:44 pm
@Dutchy,
Thanks, snooks. Smile
But I didn't exactly go, did I? Razz
Builder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 11:48 pm
@msolga,
We all need a little feedback at times.

I guess we all just took you for granted msolga.

Slaps self across face with velvet glove. (take that you insensitive swot)
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 11:54 pm
@Builder,
Smile
Feedback is nice!
(& it saves from feeling like some raving loon, posting non-stop to ones' self! Wink )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 12:10 am
Mr Slipper's first day on the job.

This story has everything!:

Renegade opposition MP.

Threats of expulsion from the LNP.

Uproar in parliament!

Labor coup, after weeks of plots & plans!

So you thought this was just a run-of-the mill story about one speaker replacing another? Smile Wink

Quote:
Deal with renegade Liberal boosts Labor's numbers
By Jeremy Thompson and Ben Atherton/ABC NEWS online

House of Representatives Speaker Peter Slipper has wasted little time flexing his newfound authority, tossing out four Coalition MPs during this afternoon's session of Parliament.

A desperate Opposition rearguard action had failed to stop the renegade Liberal National Party MP from being installed as Speaker in a stunning Labor coup.

A day of extraordinary political drama began when Labor speaker Harry Jenkins announced his resignation this morning.

The move pitched Mr Slipper into the spotlight, with the Labor Caucus wasting little time in nominating him for the Speaker's role - a move that effectively gives Labor one more seat in the House of Reps and lessens its reliance on independent and Greens MPs.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott hit back by threatening to throw Mr Slipper out of the party if he accepted the speakership.

Manager of Opposition business Christopher Pyne stepped up to nominate a succession of Labor MPs for the job instead.

All declined; Anna Burke, Dick Adams, Sid Sidebottom, Sharon Bird, Kirsten Livermore, Steve Georganas ... the list went on.

Finally Mr Pyne gave up the unequal task and Mr Slipper's election to the Speaker's role was confirmed. Ms Burke was elected Deputy Speaker, defeating Bruce Scott 72 votes to 71.

After assuming the role Mr Slipper told Parliament he was resigning from the LNP, heading off any move that could be made to see him expelled.

He said it was so that he could be a totally independent speaker.

Mr Abbott then accused Labor of sacrificing Mr Jenkins to protect the Prime Minister's political life and tried to censure the Government for forcing Mr Jenkins to "walk the plank".

Julia Gillard rejected the claims amid rowdy scenes in which Mr Slipper ordered four Coalition MPs - Luke Simpkins, Peter Dutton, Tony Smith and George Christensen - from the chamber for one hour.

Quote:
What the Speaker switch means

# the Government has a stronger position on votes in the House of Representatives
# to pass legislation, Labor now only needs three instead of four votes out of Tony Windsor, Rob Oakeshott, Andrew Wilkie, Adam Bandt, Bob Katter and Tony Crook.

Resign

Mr Slipper appeared comfortable with his decision to cast himself into the political wilderness.

He sheeted the responsibility for his move back to his colleagues who had called for disciplinary action against him or were working to have him dumped.

"I've been encouraged in this opportunity to serve the Parliament in a new way by the actions of some people in the Liberal National Party in recent times," he said.

He told a stony-faced Mr Pyne that he was "not offended" that the Opposition business leader had nominated a swag of alternative speakers and said he was looking forward to working with him.

But in what might be seen as a pre-emptive strike, he did note Mr Pyne had been ejected from the House no less than 33 times.
Coup

It is understood the Government had been negotiating with Mr Slipper for some weeks, deliberations that were kept secret, and surprised his former colleagues today.

The coup strengthens the Government's position in the Lower House and means independent MP Andrew Wilkie will not be able to carry out his threat to bring down the Government should his bill on poker machine reform be defeated.

Mr Slipper's political future had already been under a cloud, with calls in Queensland's Liberal National Party for him to be sacked over a series of internal and ongoing disputes.

He angered party bosses by appearing with Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd on the same day former prime minister John Howard was launching an LNP candidate's campaign.

Reports had indicated he was unlikely to retain preselection for his Queensland seat of Fisher. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-24/slipper-installed-as-new-speaker/3691680

-
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 12:22 am
@msolga,
In case any of you non-Oz folk watching the video in the link (above) wondered why Mr Slipper was led to the speaker's seat by those two gentlemen parliamentarians ..... Wink
It's a parliamentary tradition. The reluctant new speaker of the house is installed by parliamentary colleagues. Don't ask why. It's just the way it is.

And I assure you, federal parliament isn't normally quite as wild & woolly as this! Wink
-
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 12:48 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Kevin Rudd's office has denied accusations from the Coalition that the former prime minister "sealed the deal" to make Liberal Party traitor Peter Slipper Speaker of the House.

And look at the expression on Tony Abbotts face! He is not amused!
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/11/24/2794475/729-slipper-drag_20111124135635822002-200x0.jpg

Rudd denies kingmaker's role:
http://www.theage.com.au/queensland/rudd-denies-kingmakers-role-20111124-1nwfr.html
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 12:52 am
@msolga,
Safety in numbers.

And it is wild and woolley out there. Smile
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 12:56 am
@Builder,
It is certainly a pretty incredible turn of events!
Builder

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:00 am
@msolga,
The fact that they can wear a suit in no way indicates a level of civility.

They are animals, to the last.

If they has the learning, they'd be self-employed.
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:02 am
@Builder,
Well, it's been a ruthless & grim parliament, so far, Builder.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 12:21 am
I laughed out loud when Chris Uhlmann on the 730 report responded to Tony Abbott's assertion that it was foul play and he doesn't play games by saying 'What about Mal Colston?' Priceless. Tony wishes we were stupid short term memorites but sadly for him there's plenty of us who aren't and we're all over Twitter....
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 02:46 am
@hingehead,
That was the strangest interview ... I can't put my finger on why it had such a strange feel, but it was oddly disconcerting.
Compared to the usual pollie interview, I mean.

Yes, I was thinking of the Mal Colston precedent, earlier on in the day, too....
But Tony didn't want to "dwell on the past", so refused to discuss it.
I must say, his angle of taking the high moral ground was quite novel, given his activities over the past year!
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:32 am
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/11/25/2797553/Tandberg-TV-25-November-600x400.gif
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 08:43 am
@msolga,
http://images.theage.com.au/2011/11/25/2798710/TAH_letters_LW_151011_20111125220110997508-420x0.jpg