Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

judging from afar will likely cause you grief one day.

good luck...

What matters in life is not one's judgments, but how they act on them. I'm free to think whatever I want about whoever I want at any time, just like everyone else.

I would note that none of my judgments of behavior towards these people has caused me to act in any way which is harmful to them or even disdainful or rude to them; a direct contrast to their behavior. I would further note that my judgments are not 'from afar' but from people I and my friends directly interact with on a daily basis.

I think the idea that one has the power of judgment, but should never use it, is silly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I have made that perfectly clear over and over. My argument is against generalized derogation of a social class that already suffers enough of it.

Great! You have no problem with me, then, because I haven't done that at any point in this thread.

Quote:
I don't see you as having forwarded any particular argument at all here Cyclo

Then you haven't read anything I've written. I have clearly defined my argument several times.

Quote:
You've just added hyperbolic disdain for bums

It wasn't hyperbolic in any way.

Quote:
and I object to some of the scathing excoriations of "bums" which you define for yourself as the "bad" bums (you know, the behavior ones!) ignoring its much more general meaning deliberately.

It doesn't have a much more generalized meaning. The word you are thinking of is 'homeless.' You will note that I don't attack them.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
In your opinion, it is too broad. However, that is simply your opinion, and I do not share it - and I'm not wrong for not sharing it in any way, either.

We aren't three-year-olds Cyclo. We don't need to point out what subjectivity is each time it comes up. Yes, it is my opinion that your ejaculations on this thread (such as the Darwin natural selection one) were hyperbolic nonsense, but this is a subjective opinion that you may or may not share.

I can get that to you in writing if you need it.

Quote:
It's not an obvious generalization. But I can see how your argument relies on the assertion that it is.

Good eye, but unless you are into the "is not", "is too" portion of online "debate" there is nothing much more left to do than agree to disagree then.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Good eye, but unless you are into the "is not", "is too" portion of online "debate" there is nothing much more left to do than agree to disagree then.

Fine with me. However, I must tell you that your argument to this date has been utterly unconvincing, and not just to me - do you see anyone agreeing with you, who hadn't to begin with?

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
and I object to some of the scathing excoriations of "bums" which you define for yourself as the "bad" bums (you know, the behavior ones!) ignoring its much more general meaning deliberately.

It doesn't have a much more generalized meaning. The word you are thinking of is 'homeless.'

It's not every day we get to teach an A2Ker a common definition of a three-letter word:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bum#Etymology_2

Quote:
bum (plural bums)
(North America, colloquial) A hobo; a homeless person, usually a man.
(North America, Australian, colloquial) A lazy, incompetent, or annoying person, usually a man.
Fred is becoming a bum - he's not even bothering to work more than once a month.
That mechanic's a bum - he couldn't fix a yo-yo.
That guy keeps interrupting the concert. Throw the bum out!
(North America, Australian, colloquial, sports) A player, usually a man, who often or usually plays poorly.
Trade him to another team, he's a bum!
(colloquial) A drinking spree.

The word "bum" does not just mean more than a description of chosen behavior, it is inclusive to mean people who are homeless. The sticker used hobo imagery.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Fine with me. However, I must tell you that your argument to this date has been utterly unconvincing, and not just to me - do you see anyone agreeing with you, who hadn't to begin with?

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html

Use better arguments.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

No, because "our" implies ownership. It should be assumed that the community is aware of the problem, has taken ownership of the problem, and that charity handouts on an individual basis disrupts the program to get them to help themselves towards a better life.

Why would we assume that the community has "taken ownership of the problem"? What "program" is being disrupted by charity handouts? A "program" of not having a program is not a program...unless the program is just selling these derogatory stickers. Which, I'd guess, would just make the group of "asshole bums" even more pissed off and more willing to harass and intimidate people. Yea, what a great idea.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I guess it depends on who you ask.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bum

Quote:
bum 1 (bm)
n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person.
4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

None of those say 'all homeless people.' They are descriptions of behavior.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Even from your own link, you cut off the meanings that are inclusive of "vagrant", "tramp" and "homeless" in your chosen excerpt. This is really plumbing the depths of intellectual dishonesty to deny that "bum" also means "hobo".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:55 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

No, because "our" implies ownership. It should be assumed that the community is aware of the problem, has taken ownership of the problem, and that charity handouts on an individual basis disrupts the program to get them to help themselves towards a better life.

Why would we assume that the community has "taken ownership of the problem"? What "program" is being disrupted by charity handouts? A "program" of not having a program is not a program...unless the program is just selling these derogatory stickers. Which, I'd guess, would just make the group of "asshole bums" even more pissed off and more willing to harass and intimidate people. Yea, what a great idea.

Funny, you act as if the State of CA doesn't have some of the most extensive social services for dealing with homeless problems in the nation. That is the 'program' that is being referred to.

I don't care if someone is homeless or not, an asshole is an asshole.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
No, I did not! This was included in my list of definitions:

Quote:
1. A tramp; a vagrant.

The word 'homeless' doesn't even appear as a definition on the page I linked to.

Yaknow what? Like I said earlier, you have a stick up your ass on this issue and are just looking to argue endlessly about it. It is getting pretty boring. You're not tolerant of other people's opinions on this issue, even though none of us do anything at all to actively harm these people's lives.

You can think whatever the **** you want about me and my opinions. But I must inform you that your arguments are not convincing and they certainly are not helpful to the cause.

I believe you have too much personal emotional involvement in this issue to discuss it dispassionately, and you are internalizing some of the things that people say. It is affecting the quality of your argumentation, and you ought to review it.

Cycloptichorn
Pangloss

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Funny, you act as if the State of CA doesn't have some of the most extensive social services for dealing with homeless problems in the nation. That is the 'program' that is being referred to.

He mentioned the community's program, not the State's. I want to know what the community is doing for the homeless, aside from selling derogatory stickers. Comprehending what you read much?

I never claimed that there aren't asshole homeless people, or that we shouldn't call assholes assholes. I might understand why they are assholes, but it doesn't make them non-assholes. This stuff is all trivial. Is there some greater point you're trying to get across here?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:04 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

He mentioned the community's program, not the State's. Comprehending what you read much?

The State is a community. Nitpick much?

Quote:
I never claimed that there aren't asshole homeless people, or that we shouldn't call assholes assholes. I might understand why they are assholes, but it doesn't make them non-assholes. This stuff is all trivial. Is there some greater point you're trying to get across here?

Yes - the larger point is that there's nothing wrong with the sticker in the original article at all. People have chosen to take it as an attack on all homeless, but there is no evidence to support that position, or that people who agree with my position, support that position.

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I want to yell at people all the time, but I don't.

I, in turn, want to never let you live this statement down. Tell us more Cyclo. Laughing
Laughing
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The word 'homeless' doesn't even appear as a definition on the page I linked to.

This is not correct, it does. Use control-f if you are having a hard time finding it. Edit: but yes, you are correct that you did not cut off vagrant or tramp.

Quote:
Yaknow what? Like I said earlier, you have a stick up your ass on this issue and are just looking to argue endlessly about it.

Not so, I don't want to do this endlessly. Especially not with this quality of interlocutor.

Quote:
It is getting pretty boring. You're not tolerant of other people's opinions on this issue, even though none of us do anything at all to actively harm these people's lives.

Since when is actually harming them the criteria for me not being allowed to disagree with you. Jesus. Get over yourself, I disagree with you, that is all.

Quote:
You can think whatever the **** you want about me and my opinions. But I must inform you that your arguments are not convincing and they certainly are not helpful to the cause.

I believe you have too much personal emotional involvement in this issue to discuss it dispassionately, and you are internalizing some of the things that people say. It is affecting the quality of your argumentation, and you ought to review it.

Cyclo, I don't know if we even agree on passionate versus dispassionate here (you come across as foaming at the mouth to me a lot of the time). So yeah, again I'll ask to agree to disagree and if you want to say I'm the one who endlessly argues and is too passionate and all that is fine. I'm less interested in how you can characterize me than I am in what arguments you might be able to construct.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

This is not correct, it does. Use control-f if you are having a hard time finding it.

That appears in the Thesaurus section, not the Definition section. I did use cntrl-F. Try reading more carefully before criticizing.

Quote:
(you come across as foaming at the mouth to me a lot of the time).

To use your words, you would know if I was 'foaming at the mouth.' Nothing I've written in this thread even closely approximates that statement.

Cycloptichorn

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is not correct, it does. Use control-f if you are having a hard time finding it. Edit: but yes, you are correct that you did not cut off vagrant or tramp.

"Homeless" appears in the thesaurus section, but not in the dictionary definitions that are on the page.

My, aren't we all getting pedantic.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I thought you might use that excuse, it's still listed as a definition in that section. But either way, I'm taking our occasionally shared advice not to argue endlessly with you. Your statements certainly don't strike me as dispassionate at all, and I'm not sure what kind of behavior you are hoping I'd emulate but I'll take that criticism into consideration and try to be less "passionate" (I hope throwing your expletives everywhere and cranking up the strength of conviction to 11 isn't what you are hoping for).
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:18 pm
@DrewDad,
It is still a definition on that page, Jesus. Yes this is indeed very pedantic, I can't believe I'm arguing the definition of a three-letter-word on able2know. Especially such a common, well-known one and such a common, well-known definition.

So let's just agree to disagree if "bum" has the generalized meanings that Cyclo claimed it didn't too. Christ almighty, I'm gonna go find some busywork to do like digging ditches and filling them up or something.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Also, the "homeless" to which you refer actually modifies the word "tramp".

"A homeless tramp" is the exact wording. So it is not referring to all homeless people.