Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:57 am
@georgeob1,
I will give your suggestion all the consideration it is due. However you'll have to do more than merely negatively characterize me (I already know I'm self-righteous and arrogant, did you have something of greater intellectual substance than that to add?) to be convincing. If you can't indict anything else I say and only want to call me self-righteous you probably could have saved yourself the effort, I am one self-righteous bastard. Now back to the subject.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I personally am not spending my time weeping with bums as Cyclo has tried to portray me.

I never portrayed you that way, stop exaggerating.

Quote:

What I am arguing against is what I see as generalization of these negative experiences to disparage a whole social class (even if you say you just mean the bad bums stickers like this are generalized slurs, advocating not helping any of them is generalized), and as this is already a highly disparaged one I am defending it against this generalized derogation. Cyclo likes to think his derogation is as lazer-guided as it is scathing and that these "street rats" that accosted him are all he is derogating but the article itself is an example of generalization of this sentiment. They too claim they are only talking about the bad bums, of course, but this kind of movement is never going to be a smart bomb. Dlowan was right to bring up other generalized slurs in response to Cyclo's increasingly derogatory class slurs and while he dismissed the comparison out of hand on the basis of inherent vs. chosen (an important distinction in discrimination to be sure) he ignores completely that even if he's criticizing chosen behavior the use of generalized slurs, and funny lil' stickers at their expense does not restrict this derogation to those exhibiting this behavior but rather to the group as a whole. This is a highly disparaged social class, and every single raindrop claiming to be excoriating only the bad ones doesn't think it's responsible for the flood.

Dlowan was completely wrong to bring up those generalized slurs, for the reasons I pointed out earlier. You are basically making a Slippery Slope argument here and claiming that criticism of one class of homeless inevitably leads to criticism of all of them. That's not logically valid.

Quote:
Basically, I keep saying this but this is Psychology 101 here: greater recognition of situational rather than dispositional factors. Most people like to see people as so single-dimensional, they are assholes or not (Cyclo will recognize that they are more nuanced but just says he doesn't care as emphatically as he can) and most personality negatives are reduced to dispositional characteristics, this is a highly inaccurate world-view in general. Yes, I advocate empathy in general, it's a sense, it's a signal not a conclusion. It is a good thing to have.

I don't care what their motivation is, because understanding that motivation doesn't change the situation for me one bit. It doesn't lead to any difference in my life. So why does it matter?

People have behaviors. Their intrinsic characteristics are defined by their choices of how to apply those behaviors. I want to yell at people all the time, but I don't. Plenty of other homeless guys probably want to yell at me, but they don't. Those who choose to do so define their intrinsic characteristics by their choice to do so.

It's almost as if you're blaming ME for thinking that someone who is being abusive to ME is a jerk! I don't understand that. I just can't have the reaction that there must be some perfectly understandable reason why I have to suffer abuse from these people, and I shouldn't have a negative reaction to it.

Cycloptichorn

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

It can be assumed however that those who hold the individual to full account will disdain the bums.

You can assume all you want but it's not necessarily true. I am one who holds the individual to full account, but that doesn't mean I disdain bums. What's a bum anyway? Define it. Are we talking someone who chooses not to provide for themselves? I have no disdain for them unless they're physically fit, mentally healthy, and young enough to work but want to scrounge off society (the govt system, ie welfare - live for free and contribute nothing). If they're not collecting welfare or endless unemployment benefits, I don't disdain them, I just won't contribute to their choice of lifestyle. And I have no judgement about them because they're not a drain on me or society's resources. I'm neutral about them. Hey, help yourselves, hope you enjoy your freedom from everything while you can.

I'm talking about people as in the hippy generation, political non-conformist conformists. Societal drop outs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I will give your suggestion all the consideration it is due. However you'll have to do more than merely negatively characterize me (I already know I'm self-righteous and arrogant, did you have something of greater intellectual substance than that to add?) to be convincing. If you can't indict anything else I say and only want to call me self-righteous you probably could have saved yourself the effort, I am one self-righteous bastard. Now back to the subject.

Understanding that you are acting in a self-righteous fashion should lead to an editing and reformation of your argument, but it doesn't seem to do so.

I have to tell you that your argument isn't exactly convincing me at this moment that anything that I or anyone else is doing is incorrect in any way.

Cycloptichorn
Pangloss

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Considering that the larger question has never been settled we should refrain from throwing stones at those who despise bums.

But then we should also refrain from throwing stones AT the bums, and those who support them...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Considering that the larger question has never been settled we should refrain from throwing stones at those who despise bums.

But then we should also refrain from throwing stones AT the bums, and those who support them...

Refusing to give money to people, and holding them accountable when they act like assholes (just like everyone else), is completely opposite of 'throwing stones' at anyone.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@Pangloss,
And who is doing that? From all I've read here, it's the other way 'round. Judgements on people who don't have empathy for them and assumptions about what it is they're feeling.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
I personally am not spending my time weeping with bums as Cyclo has tried to portray me.

I never portrayed you that way, stop exaggerating.

Yeah, you said that I have a problem (referred to metaphorically as a stick in my ass) with people who don't get weepy with bums, so yes I exaggerated your exaggeration.

Quote:
Dlowan was completely wrong to bring up those generalized slurs, for the reasons I pointed out earlier. You are basically making a Slippery Slope argument here and claiming that criticism of one class of homeless inevitably leads to criticism of all of them. That's not logically valid.

I am not making a slippery slope argument (which is contingent on the slippery slope being predicted, without substantiating evidence, not described with plenty of evidence). The sticker does not say "don't feed the aggressive bums". I am describing generalization of this sentiment, not predicting it.

Quote:
I don't care what their motivation is, because understanding that motivation doesn't change the situation for me one bit. It doesn't lead to any difference in my life. So why does it matter?

It matters to the characterizations of them and the validity of said characterizations. I am not arguing that it should hold other deep meaning for your life.

Quote:
I want to yell at people all the time, but I don't.

I, in turn, want to never let you live this statement down. Tell us more Cyclo. Laughing

Quote:
It's almost as if you're blaming ME for thinking that someone who is being abusive to ME is a jerk!

No, I just think you make overstatement that is broad and hyperbolic. Like your Darwin argument. I blame you for said overstatement, that is all.

Quote:
I don't understand that. I just can't have the reaction that there must be some perfectly understandable reason why I have to suffer abuse from these people, and I shouldn't have a negative reaction to it.

I have never said you should have to suffer abuse from them, this is a false dilemma you are introducing yourself. Furthermore, I also never said you should not have a negative reaction, there are a wide variety of those, I'm just opposed to some of your hyperbolic and silly ones (like your Darwin argument, for example).
Pangloss

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:24 pm
Selling stickers that say "please don't feed our bums" is stone throwing. I thought that this was the issue here. The stickers don't say "assholes", or "agressive bums", or "the jerks", no, they just say "bums".
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Understanding that you are acting in a self-righteous fashion should lead to an editing and reformation of your argument, but it doesn't seem to do so.

How should it change the argument? Delivery I can get, and I do what I can with the disposition that the good lord gave me, but what change in the argument are you calling for?

Quote:
I have to tell you that your argument isn't exactly convincing me at this moment that anything that I or anyone else is doing is incorrect in any way.

Thankfully, I can live with failing to convince you. You are one stubborn bastard and I credit my survival this far largely to this ability.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
So basically, you are using exaggeration to attack me for exaggerating.

Quote:
I am not making a slippery slope argument (which is contingent on the slippery slope being predicted, without substantiating evidence, not described with plenty of evidence). The sticker does not say "don't feed the aggressive bums". I am describing generalization of this sentiment, not predicting it.

The term 'Bum' is already describing a subset. It doesn't say 'don't feed our homeless.' You are generalizing to suit your argument.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
the term bum is a slur.

no matter how you apply it.

it imposes judgment.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

How should it change the argument? Delivery I can get, and I do what I can with the disposition that the good lord gave me, but what change in the argument are you calling for?

Yeah, but what IS the argument? My original statement in the thread was a complaint about aggressive Bums. I was attacked for this complaint and had to defend on a couple of fronts from people who generalized my comments as to be an attack on ALL the homeless.

From what I can tell my original argument - that aggressive bums are uncool and that I disdain them, and don't care the reasons behind their behavior - really remains accepted by all here, including you.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:29 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

the term bum is a slur.

no matter how you apply it.

it imposes judgment.

It SHOULD impose judgment, because I am judging. I don't base the term on someone's appearance, but their behaviors. Just like the person in the original article did.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
judging from afar will likely cause you grief one day.

good luck...
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So basically, you are using exaggeration to attack me for exaggerating.

No, my intent there wasn't to attack you (I had actually considered portraying you as the Cartman "Woteva, I do what I want!" gag for that but am having a hard time working that in) but just to point out that no I am not advocating getting all weepy about bums. That is all.

So I used exaggeration to point out that your portrayal was an exaggeration, that is all. No attack, you'll know for sure when it's an attack (especially now, that I have tipped my Cartman hand).

Quote:
The term 'Bum' is already describing a subset. It doesn't say 'don't feed our homeless.'

So? It is still a "subset" far too broad and certainly not the "aggressive panhandlers" you are excoriating either.

Quote:
You are generalizing to suit your argument.

That, sir, is seriously weak. I am criticizing an obvious generalization, you are just responding with child-like gainsay these days accusing me of whatever it is I have just argued against. "I know you are, but what am I?"
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:34 pm
@Pangloss,
Quote:
Selling stickers that say "please don't feed our bums" is stone throwing
No, because "our" implies ownership. It should be assumed that the community is aware of the problem, has taken ownership of the problem, and that charity handouts on an individual basis disrupts the program to get them to help themselves towards a better life.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
So? It is still a "subset" far too broad and certainly not the "aggressive panhandlers" you are excoriating either.

In your opinion, it is too broad. However, that is simply your opinion, and I do not share it - and I'm not wrong for not sharing it in any way, either.

Quote:
That, sir, is seriously weak. I am criticizing an obvious generalization, you are just responding with child-like gainsay these days accusing me of whatever it is I have just argued against. "I know you are, but what am I?"

It's not an obvious generalization. But I can see how your argument relies on the assertion that it is.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yeah, but what IS the argument?

I have made that perfectly clear over and over. My argument is against generalized derogation of a social class that already suffers enough of it.

Quote:
From what I can tell my original argument - that aggressive bums are uncool and that I disdain them, and don't care the reasons behind their behavior - really remains accepted by all here, including you.

I don't see you as having forwarded any particular argument at all here Cyclo, so you are right that I have not disagreed with the non-existent argument. You've just added hyperbolic disdain for bums and yes some generalization of it (like your Darwin argument, that you still like to pretend didn't happen) and I object to some of the scathing excoriations of "bums" which you define for yourself as the "bad" bums (you know, the behavior ones!) ignoring its much more general meaning deliberately.
Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
The businesses in Ocean Beach should change the sticker's wording, continue to make it available, and use the proceeds to build restroom facilities for the panhandlers. That's what the city council (I believe it was in Cleveland) told the businesses to do when they got similar complaints and wanted action.

Now back to your regularly scheduled debating Smile
0 Replies