Crazy 'Bout a Mercury

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:47 pm
@tycoon,
How sad...

I've had a '93 Mercury Cougar for 17 years and before that I had a Mercury Sable for 5 years.

The Mercury cars have been the most trouble free of all the ones I've owned. Now I have no idea what kind of car I'll next buy when I need to do so.

Is the Buick on par with Mercury?
Eva

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
We've had several Mercurys, and they have all been great cars.

This thread brings back fond memories. When I was in high school, my best friend's father bought her a brand new Mercury Cougar XR-7 for her 17th birthday. It was bright red with a black and white houndstooth check top and interior trim. With all the chrome trim, it was one SEXY car!

We loved driving it around town. It (and us!) got a lot of double-takes. What fun that was!
tycoon

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

How sad...

I've had a '93 Mercury Cougar for 17 years and before that I had a Mercury Sable for 5 years.

The Mercury cars have been the most trouble free of all the ones I've owned. Now I have no idea what kind of car I'll next buy when I need to do so.

Is the Buick on par with Mercury?

That's a good question, BFN. I think it played a similar role as a Buick, that being one step below a Cadillac and Lincoln.

Was the 93 Cougar sporty in your eyes?
tycoon

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

This thread brings back fond memories. When I was in high school, my best friend's father bought her a brand new Mercury Cougar XR-7 for her 17th birthday. It was bright red with a black and white houndstooth check top and interior trim. With all the chrome trim, it was one SEXY car!

We loved driving it around town. It (and us!) got a lot of double-takes. What fun that was!

One Cougar XR-7, two babes. I'm going to miss this more than I thought.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:50 pm
@tycoon,
I still own it, it only has about 49,000 miles on it, so other than some of the original parts starting to show their age, it is still in good condition. In the last year I've had to start replacing parts in it for the first time. Before that, the biggest expense was the routine oil changes and tire rotations.

Sporty? No. I chose it because it was a good mid-sized car that I would be safer and more comfortable while driving (and dodging semi trucks) the very long commutes and business travel I was doing on highway 17 in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was one that had all the fancy omni-directional micro seat adjustments, hydraulic air cushions and lumbar supports. Soon after, I got a promotion in the company and bought a house closer to work so I didn't put as many miles on it as anticipated.

I first looked at the Lexus but thought it very overpriced for what they were delivering so I went back to Mercury and found the Cougar to be what I was looking for. Still don't regret the purchase and won't be so eager to replace it now that I know Mercury won't be around anymore.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:
How did you like your Comet, Tico?

It was my mom's car. I liked it fine. Had a V-8 engine. It looked an awful lot like this one:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1065/mercury1963cometwillcle.jpg
tycoon

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:01 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's a real chick magnet there, Tico.
tycoon

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:04 pm
My friend is saddened by the demise of Saturn. With the end of Mercury, we now have a reason to drink.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
First car my parents bought after they go married was a '39 or '40 Mercury coupe http://www.fmrcoa.org/images/cars_big/1940_mercury_coupe_dick_anderson.jpg It was kind of a faded blue when I knew it.
I can barely remember them driving it after WWII. It sat in the garage for a decade after they got something that was, I think, a '48 Olds. They sold the Merc about a year and a half before I got my first driver's license. Took me quite awhile to forgive them for not keeping it til I was 16,
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:15 pm

Steve Miller Mercury Blues Lyrics:

Had my money
I tell you what I'd do
I would go downtown
Buy a Mercury or two
Cause I'm crazy 'bout a Mercury
Cruise up and down this road
Up and down this road
I'm goin' to buy me a Mercury
And I'll cruise up and down this road
Up and down this road

You know that gal I love
I stole her from a friend
Fool got lucky stole her back again
Because she knowed he had a Mercury
Cruise up and down this road
Up and down this road
Well, she knowed he had a Mercury
And she cruise up and down this road
Hey now mama
Where'd you stay last night
Your hair's all down
Your clothes don't fit you right
Had my money
I tell you what I'd do
Go downtown and buy a Mercury or two
Cause I'm crazy 'bout a Mercury
Up and down this road

I'm going to buy me a Mercury
Up and down this road

Going to buy me a Mercury
Cruise, cruise up and down this road
Up and down this road

Buy me a Mercury
Cruise, cruise up and down this road
Up and down this road

0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
You could have hauled moonshine in the trunk and a babe in the front seat with that beauty.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:17 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:
That's a real chick magnet there, Tico.

Actually, not as much as you might think.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:32 pm
tycoon says:
Quote:
@MontereyJack,

You could have hauled moonshine in the trunk and a babe in the front seat with that beauty.

Don't know about the moonshine, but my dad definitely did haul the babe--my mom.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:34 pm
And in Canada they rebadged them and sold them as Monarchs.
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:15 pm
@MontereyJack,
wait..Monterey (sp?) was a Mercury model..or am I dreaming this?

yup, I looked it up: Mercury Monterey minivan (2004–2007)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 02:48 pm
At what point did Mercurys stop being Mercurys and become Fords with a
some differences in the trim?
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 03:26 pm
@George,
When you type keyword 'Mercury (automobile)' in Wikipedia..they out line when Merc differentiated itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28automobile%29
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 04:35 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:
I was just curious if anyone else was partial to Mercs or, if not, felt a bit of remorse at the demise of any other car brands that lately seem to be falling by the great American wayside.
My Pontiac Solstice is now an orphan too. Sad
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1200/solsticex.jpg

Had to buy a comprehensive extended service plan because, unfortunately, it's full fo Pontiac parts.
0 Replies