A Failure To Convince Me That Any Gods Exist

Krumple

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:50 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

My own definition of God would be, and this is also probably reductive, God is Information ! No beginning, no end, no creation no creator, forget the design, etc etc... Just sheer Unity ! ONE, and zero as a shadow...(not a true zero) Binary code...One true dimension, not eleven...(the other dimension are simulations...) Simplify, simplify simplify !...

But information is just something we relate to, there is no such thing as information. It is just a value we place onto a concept, which represents something in a context. Information itself does not exist.

Also information itself can not do anything. It just is in a state of value without any ability. Like the value of one, does not do anything.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:57 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Also information itself can not do anything

Curious how computers work as well as they do, then.

Not to mention DNA.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 04:49 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Its actually quite simple what I am saying...
A definition of God must n´t be the classical one...in fact it should be the most possibly open...

Most possibly open? What the does that even mean?

Most possibly loose, in the inclusive sense...don´t be peaky with my English and try to use your brain instead OK...
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:11 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:
Also information itself can not do anything

Curious how computers work as well as they do, then.

Not to mention DNA.

Yeah pretty typical attempt at an argument.

A computer code is just a bunch of switches. It is not information.

The same is true for DNA. So many times people say DNA is a code when it's not a code. There are only 4 amino acids and not all of them can combine, only certain combination are possible. This is due to their chemical bonds not some sort of information. Also those amino acid combination are like keys that unlock the production of proteins. It doesn't know or do anything. It is just a chemical response due to it's structure.

The reason information get's thrown around so much is because of how we relate to things. But that is no different than saying, an object at rest has information about it's potential. Yes technically in communication that is accurate, but it does not contain any information about it's potential energy. It is only used as a convenience for communication.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:32 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:
Dreyfus' opinion was fairly accurate, but it was based on the 1960's view of reverse engineering the human mind to create AI. This approach has been long replaced by those making break-throughs in AI.

No way. Dreyfus was mocked and ridiculed when he first came out with his critique of AI, everyone thought his objections were preposterous. But it has been borne out by everything that happened subsequently, over the course of nearly four decades of research.

In that case, I question how up to date you are in the field of AI if you're leveraging Dreyfus against it.

jeeprs wrote:

Artificial intelligence (and artificial life, for that matter) are scientific fantasies. There are plenty of vital and urgent things that science needs to work on other than such useless vanity projects. Like stopping the planet from cooking, for a start.

What makes you think that the pursuit of these technologies is unrelated to finding a solution to the planet cooking?

Additionally, you should read up on the reality of artificial life, instead of asserting it is fiction: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10132762.stm
jeeprs wrote:

There is something that all of the people who treat science as a religion need to understand. The nature of the atom is still a mystery. Yet the atom is supposed to be the most fundamental and basic thing in the universe. We have had to build the most expensive apparatus in the history of the world to come up with a finalised description of the atom, and it is still an open question as to whether this will succeed.

This is an argument born from ignorance. Saying the the atom is still a mystery, while true is not accurately descriptive of our knowledge about the atom. Saying it is a mystery is tantamount to saying we know nothing, and while our current atomic model is still approximate, nobody has claimed it is perfect. Our limited understanding of the atom is a functional one. In no future model will this functionality diminish. I have no doubt that we will always have more to learn about the atom, but to base our world view on what we don't know as opposed to what we do know is intellectually vacant.

jeeprs wrote:

So if it is so hard to describe the workings of an atom, why are you so confident that we can model the workings of the most complex single object in the known universe, namely, the human brain?

Because we DO model these things, and our imperfect models allow for us to do important things. The idea that we must have absolute understanding of any of these things prior to modeling is idiotic.

Even in the early in the dawn of celestial mechanics having circular orbits (as opposed to elliptical orbits) had it's usefulness in gaining perspective and understanding. Now orbits are a wave function on a elliptical track. We won't ever have a perfect model until we can solve the n-body equations.

Science is proven wrong very often... by better adherence to scientific practices, better tooling, and better observational equipment.

What-we-don't-know as an argument for the existence of any gods is nothing more than mental gymnastics.

A
R
T
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:58 am
You speak as if you perfectly have addressed the issues at hand, and yet you simple failed to prove why the Universe itself cannot be regarded as a God...
So far, and to be back on track you haven´t presented a single logical argument for or against any Deity since you haven´t give any definition to what such entity should be like...When you say X is not possible, that you must define X is a quite simple straightforward reasoning that you still insist to avoid...so no extra credit to your babbling.

...on Information department I very much would like to see how you distinguish a 3 dimensional virtual reality from the "actual" world...what is to be found that is True ? ...is almost sad, to read it...

The problem with some of you is that you speak as if you know allot on every single issue that falls on the table, but hardly prove ever to in fact be the case...

Mediocrity often expresses itself without simplicity and always with no imagination.
failures art

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You speak as if you perfectly have addressed the issues at hand, and yet you simple failed to prove why the Universe itself cannot be regarded as a God...
So far, and to be back on track you haven´t presented a single logical argument for or against any Deity since you haven´t give any definition to what such entity should be like...When you say X is not possible, that you must define X is a quite simple straightforward reasoning that you still insist to avoid...so no extra credit to your babbling.

You are requesting the proof of a negative. If you believe the universe is a god, the burden is on you to prove it is, not my burden to prove it is not.

Why am I obligated to define any gods? That doesn't make any sense.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...on Information department I very much would like to see how you distinguish a 3 dimensional virtual reality from the "actual" world...what is to be found that is True ? ...is almost sad, to read it...

What? I can't understand what you're asking here.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The problem with some of you is that you speak as if you know allot on every single issue that falls on the table, but hardly prove ever to in fact be the case...

I have to prove that I'm unconvinced in any of the proposed gods that I've had presented to me? I cannot be faulted for the lack of cogent arguments for any deities.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Mediocrity often expresses itself without simplicity and always with no imagination.

How true.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 11:03 am
You still insist...its AMAZING !
WHAT X IS IT THAT CANNOT BE ???
You mention an X remember !!!
(Imagine that I am an Alien and never heard the word GOD before...)
failures art

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Imagine that I am an Alien and never heard the word GOD before...

In that situation, I'd have nothing I'd need to explain. The alien would not need me to explain why I don't believe in something they don't know what is.

An excellent thing to imagine though.
R
T
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Imagine that I am an Alien and never heard the word GOD before...

In that situation, I'd have nothing I'd need to explain. The alien would not need me to explain why I don't believe in something they don't know what is.

An excellent thing to imagine though.
R
T

1 - I am not saying that you have to explain anything...
you were the one who set out to do it.
You should just finish what you yourself have started !

2 - If it pleases you keep imagining but do send me a saucer to fly around higher Drunk !
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:56 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Because we DO model these things, and our imperfect models allow for us to do important things. The idea that we must have absolute understanding of any of these things prior to modeling is idiotic.

The point about comparison with the atom is, not that knowledge of physics is imperfect, and there is no point trying to gain knowledge. The point is that 'artificial intelligence' is based on the illusion that intelligence is something we can understand well enough to model. It SEEMS that we can model the 'rules of thought' and the principles of cognition, and I am sure there are many people far more learned than I with enormous amounts of information on these topics. But what the critics of AI are saying is that even though the nature of intelligence might seem amenable to analysis and reproduction, there is something about it that is irreducible, that cannot be reproduced by artificial means.

So the point I was making about the atomic model is, not that it is hard to undestand it, let's give up, but that even something as fundamental and basic as the nature of matter is still fundamentally mysterious. So why should we believe that modelling intelligence is going to be possible, when we really don't yet have a comprehensible account of the nature of the atom. By all means, investigate the brain, investigate matter, but I still think the idea of Artificial Intelligence is fundamentally a conceit.

A lot of the mechanistic paradigm, and the idea of machine intelligence, is based upon this conceit. But there is something very fundamental and basic that it will not allow itself to see.

Fiurther more, D'Espagnet's paper does not deal in mere opinion. I chose it because on the most basic level of science, it casts doubt on scientific objectivism, naturalism, or materialism, however you would like to describe it. There are a number of other texts on physics and philosophy which demonstrate the same point, but most will simply choose to ignore them, because it unsettles their idea of what is real. And it is intimately connected to the fundamental nature of reality itself and the point of the OP.
fresco

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
@jeeprs,
Good points !
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 06:23 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

The point about comparison with the atom is, not that knowledge of physics is imperfect, and there is no point trying to gain knowledge. The point is that 'artificial intelligence' is based on the illusion that intelligence is something we can understand well enough to model.

You are projecting what you think the AI community is doing, not addressing what they are actually doing.

jeeprs wrote:

It SEEMS that we can model the 'rules of thought' and the principles of cognition, and I am sure there are many people far more learned than I with enormous amounts of information on these topics.

I'd encourage you to read up more on evolutionary algorithms. I think you'd find it fascinating.

jeeprs wrote:

But what the critics of AI are saying is that even though the nature of intelligence might seem amenable to analysis and reproduction, there is something about it that is irreducible, that cannot be reproduced by artificial means.

What is an artificial mean? No scientist is going to make AI, it will be the computer itself that develops its own intelligence by evolutionary means. The computer intelligence we already have should not be considered "artificial." It may not be to the level of being self aware yet, but it is continuing to develop.

To not believe that computers will inevitably reach self awareness seems short sighted. Certainly biological life developed biological brains and intelligence by natural means, why cannot a computer develop intelligence by the same evolutionary principles.

We're not going to have a eureka moment here. AI is something that will take generations and generations of evolution and the passing of successful traits.

jeeprs wrote:

So the point I was making about the atomic model is, not that it is hard to undestand it, let's give up, but that even something as fundamental and basic as the nature of matter is still fundamentally mysterious. So why should we believe that modelling intelligence is going to be possible, when we really don't yet have a comprehensible account of the nature of the atom.

This is perhaps the fulcrum of our issue on AI. I'm saying that AI is no longer the reverse-engineering of the human mind, but the allowance of a mind to evolve. It's a long process that requires variation, propagation, and iteration.

60's criticisms of AI were pretty valid, but the 60's approach to AI has pretty much gone the way of the dodo.

jeeprs wrote:

By all means, investigate the brain, investigate matter, but I still think the idea of Artificial Intelligence is fundamentally a conceit.

The human mind came to be by natural means, I encourage you to entertain the notion that intelligence is not only likely, but inevitable.

We might be able to effect the timeline, but even if we weren't trying to create AI, I think at one point it would happen on it's own. Hence the ghost in the shell.

jeeprs wrote:

A lot of the mechanistic paradigm, and the idea of machine intelligence, is based upon this conceit. But there is something very fundamental and basic that it will not allow itself to see.

We'll agree to disagree on this.

jeeprs wrote:

Fiurther more, D'Espagnet's paper does not deal in mere opinion. I chose it because on the most basic level of science, it casts doubt on scientific objectivism, naturalism, or materialism, however you would like to describe it.

As opposed to? Humans have a long history of doubt.

jeeprs wrote:

There are a number of other texts on physics and philosophy which demonstrate the same point, but most will simply choose to ignore them, because it unsettles their idea of what is real.

Sounds like you've already insulated yourself here. Why bother to offer my opinion? You've already composed what my flaw would be in rejecting what you find real and settling.

jeeprs wrote:

And it is intimately connected to the fundamental nature of reality itself and the point of the OP.

I'm the OP. Trying to soften the nature of reality itself is concession that the reality that reality doesn't allow for any number of gods without softening.

In the end, your argument becomes god exists because you can't know what is real. Assaulting reality is a really long road to get to this point. you could have stated from this from the beginning. The thing you fail to account for is that even if everything I thing is real is not, no god or gods become necessary at any point.

A
R
T
jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
The human mind came to be by natural means, I encourage you to entertain the notion that intelligence is not only likely, but inevitable.

But it only emerges from matter because everywhere it is already latent. What is latent becomes patent.

Also, thanks for reminding me, I need to read up on The Emperor's New Mind, by Penrose, which I understand provides strong grounds for skepticism about AI on the basis that intelligence is not algorithmically reducible. But I haven't wresteled with that particular title yet, and believe it is pretty challenging.

There are many scientific topics that interest me, and many scientific thinkers that I like, but basically I believe that Modern Man sees no room for God, because he has put himself in his place. Hence the fascination with artificial mind, life, and so on - we want to be the creator now, and will insist that only understanding that we will seek will conform with what we ourselves can conceptualise, which is what the term 'natural' now appears to mean. And I believe we are in for a rude awakening.

But again I do thank you for your very interesting and challenging response.
Thomas

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:15 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
Ah yes. And if I could make gold out of lead, then I wouldn't have to go to work any more.

Actually, you couldn't---because this technology would boost the the supply of gold so much its price would barely exceed the price of lead. And if your point is that it's impossible to convert one chemical element into another---this point has been dead ever since Otto Hahn split his first Uranium atoms in 1938.

jeeprs wrote:
Why do you think AI, which started off with such enormous fanfare in the 60's, has been a complete failure?

Goalpost-moving by skeptics of artificial intelligence, for the most part. For example one of their common themes in the 1950s was, "I'm sure those computers can do a lot of things, but they'll never be able to beat the best humans in chess." Fourty years later, Big Blue beat Gary Kasparov, proving---that chess-playing computers have nothing to do with intelligence.

jeeprs wrote:
You would think that the processes of thought might be able to be abstracted to a bunch of algorithms, but Roger Penrose and Hubert Dreyfus will differ.

... which, of course, doesn't prove that it's impossible, or that the human thought runs on some other natural, yet non-algorithmic, process. Penrose and Dreyfus aren't the only thinkers in the field; there are other, just as reputable thinkers who disagree with them.

It took nature four billion years of evolution to come up with natural intelligence. Don't give up on artificial intelligence just because humans couldn't make it work in sixty.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:32 pm
@Thomas,
But it reminds me of the old wisecrack 'why spend so much time looking for intelligence in outer space when there's bugger all here on earth''? Artificial intelligence can cope with problems like chess, because at the end of the day it is reducible to an algorithm, albeit an horrendously sophisticated one. But what about common sense? We take it for granted, because it is...well...common. But consider the following

Quote:
In 1965 [it was] predicted that “machines will be capable, within twenty years, of doing any work that a man can do” (Simon 1965, p. 96). MIT computer scientist Marvin Minsky assured a Life magazine reporter in 1970 that “in from three to eight years we’ll have a machine with the general intelligence of an average human being . . . a machine that will be able to read Shakespeare and grease a car.”

The story is well-told by now how the cocksure dreams of AI researchers crashed during the subsequent years — crashed above all against the solid rock of common sense. Computers could outstrip any philosopher or mathematician in marching mechanically through a programmed set of logical maneuvers, but this was only because philosophers and mathematicians — and the smallest child — were too smart for their intelligence to be invested in such maneuvers. The same goes for a dog. “It is much easier,” observed AI pioneer, Terry Winograd, “to write a program to carry out abstruse formal operations than to capture the common sense of a dog” (Winograd and Flores 1986, p. 98).

A dog knows, through whatever passes for its own sort of common sense, that it cannot leap over a house in order to reach its master. It presumably knows this as the directly given meaning of houses and leaps — a meaning it experiences all the way down into its muscles and bones. As for you and me, we know, perhaps without ever having thought about it, that a person cannot be in two places at once. We know (to extract a few examples from the literature of cognitive science) that there is no football stadium on the train to Seattle, that giraffes do not wear hats and underwear, and that a book can aid us in propping up a slide projector when the image is too low, whereas a sirloin steak probably isn’t appropriate.
Steve Talbott Logic, DNA, and Poetry, Antimatters Journal, Nov 2009
failures art

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:09 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I believe that Modern Man sees no room for God, because he has put himself in his place.

I believe man puts himself in the place of false authority by making room for gods where there is none.

This god of ego bit is a bit passe. If it was true, atheists would need to maintain the level of human entitlement that religion offers.

jeeprs wrote:

Hence the fascination with artificial mind, life, and so on - we want to be the creator now, and will insist that only understanding that we will seek will conform with what we ourselves can conceptualise, which is what the term 'natural' now appears to mean.

Once again: As opposed to? At no point is a god necessary in this. You've reduced all creativity and curiosity to simply wanting to be god. I cannot agree.

jeeprs wrote:

And I believe we are in for a rude awakening.

Atheism is as sober as it gets. The party of spiritual inebriation is spoiling into a hangover.

jeeprs wrote:

But again I do thank you for your very interesting and challenging response.

Well, you know where to find me. Cool

A
R
T
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:10 pm
@failures art,
The main problem: You almost have to believe in evolution to be an atheist, and evolution has been overwhelmingly and massively disproved over the last century.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:29 pm
@gungasnake,
well for the record, I differ with both those statements. I think evolutionary theism is a perfectly defensible philosophical view, held by many educated persons. And I don't think evolution has been disproved. I would agree that it is, however, radically incomplete in its current form.
Krumple

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:52 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

well for the record, I differ with both those statements. I think evolutionary theism is a perfectly defensible philosophical view, held by many educated persons. And I don't think evolution has been disproved. I would agree that it is, however, radically incomplete in its current form.

I always find this amusing about you jeeprs, you can't even recognize the huge contradiction you make here. You will accept a theistic view based off absolutely zero evidence at all, yet when it comes to evolution you slight it because it has gaps.
0 Replies