Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:08 pm
@GoshisDead,
Are you telling me you were aserious?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:17 pm
@sozobe,
So, we do agree. Now I wonder what post of farmerman's I'm remembering. I think it was many years ago, early a2k days.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:26 pm
@ossobuco,
My problem is that I studied science in the sixties, though I worked in medical labs until 1980 and have done a moderate amount of science news reading, entirely by interest/whim, since then. So, I've missed a lot. I remember saying something about (human?) mutations occurring at a rate of 1 x 10 to the sixth power and farmer showing me to be wrong about that... and that that conversation involved whether mutations could occur from "need" - need being another word that doesn't really fit what I am trying to get at; probably the words "as a response" would be better.

Sorry, I see I'm off on a tangent, yet again.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:38 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

i was just goofing around

Around or aaround?
R
T
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:10 pm
@failures art,
exactly, mainly because I I wanted to precede aardvark in the dictionary
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:11 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:
so if I'm simply skeptical of atheism am I an aatheist?

To the extent that you're making any sense at all, yes you are. Though I don't see what it could possibly mean to be skeptical of skepticism.

It means you don't wholly subscribe to skepticism.

You're occasionally aaaskeptical.

I can be both skeptical and skeptical of my skepticism several times before breakfast.

I think I started all this aaaaaa cleverness, and I want royalties, by the way.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:13 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thomas wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:
so if I'm simply skeptical of atheism am I an aatheist?

To the extent that you're making any sense at all, yes you are. Though I don't see what it could possibly mean to be skeptical of skepticism.

It means you don't wholly subscribe to skepticism.

You're occasionally aaaskeptical.

I can be both skeptical and skeptical of my skepticism several times before breakfast.

I think I started all this aaaaaa cleverness, and I want royalties, by the way.

Yes my ability to corrupt English morphology is potentially infinitly recursive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
Gosh - I didn't relaize I was being simultaneously debated on two threads.

This may take me a little while to catch up.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:32 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

From the other thread, I've C&P one of Finn's posts...

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

A common theme within the justification of atheist thought is the inability to reconcile human suffering with a God of any sort, let alone a just and loving one.

Why does a Atheist have to justify that they are unconvinced?

They don't, but you will have to ask the ones who try why they do.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

dlowan, apparently, is faced, on a daily basis, with the evil of which mankind is capable and she has somehow connected the belief in God with a victim's belief that his or her suffering is deserved. Labelling both irrational.

She could also be thinking that the suffering is NOT deserved.

Perhaps, but if I recall correctly she drew a very clear comparison between belief in God and the belief of abused children that they were somehow responsible for their abuse. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you take the time to quote her and prove me so.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Unfortunately, to a child, drawing a cause and effect relationship between their abuse and their conduct is entirely rational. They are, after all, children.

Not entirely wrong Finn. Children do make false associations, but adults specifically train children to have many of those associations. In the case of the welfare of mankind (the "abuse") being linked with the actions (the "conduct") of mankind, this is a religious association, not a atheistic one. An atheist addressing this view is addressing the illogic of a theistic position, not the other way around.

Not sure what you are arguing here.

A comparison between belief in God and an abused child's belief that their abuse is their own fault is entirely specious. (It might also be considered quite offense by some, but then that other thread was about how atheists were being offended so I guess the point is irrelevant). Dlown, clearly, was making the point that both beliefs are irrational and my argument was that the one she was relying on for her comparison was in fact not. My argument had nothing to do with atheistic or theistic positions.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Similarly, it is the residue of this child-like perspective that directs many aetheists to their position of denial.

A failure to be convinced of something because no compelling case can be built is hardly the fault of atheists. It's not like Theists are eagerly presenting a overwhelming body of evidence. Quite contrary really.

You are being overly defensive. I am not faulting atheists, I am merely pointing out that many have reached their conclusion based on a perceived contradiction between a supreme being and eartly suffering. One need only read the posts in this forum to know I am right.

By the same token, there are many believers who have come to their conclusion through a child-like perspective.

I don't know what other believers intend, but I'm not going to try and prove to you God exists.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As adults, we can see that the child's behavior can never be the justifaction for abuse, but some of us are locked into this very human calculation when it comes to consideration of the devine.

Again, this is a religious association that you are making, not an atheistic one. Atheists didn't say god punished Haiti with a earthquake. Atheists didn't think that Haiti fate was "justified." Atheists understood it was a natural event, and nothing more.

Perhaps you (and other atheists) did not, but many people lose their faith or belief in God because of tragedies like the Haitian earthquake, and many atheists offer the Hatian earthquake (and other examples of earthly suffering) as proof there can be no God.

If this doesn't describe you, I won't argue it does.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

A just and loving father would never abuse his children no matter what their behavior, and yet a just and loving God seems to. Therefore they must either excuse the abusive father or deny the abusive God.

Who created this father-god claim you keep talking about? It wasn't atheists.

You have this notion that atheists are all part of a club, and have all come to their conclusion about God from the same place. Many atheists were once believers. If you disagree with this contention, so be it.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The fallacy here, of course, is that the imagery of God the Father is entirely the creation of humans and their narrow perspective, and it is child-like to insist that God demonstrate the behaviors of the best of earthly human fathers.

All details about all gods are the creation of humans and their narrow perspective.

True

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

These are atheists who do not deny God so much as they deny the facile Christian version of God, and, unfortunately, they seem to be unable to consider God through anything but a facile Christian perspective.

Only one of us is attempting to make a discussion on this monotheistic. It is not me. I was raised with a very diverse exposure to many religions.

Shinto
Buddhism
Native American Shamanism
Protestant Christianity (Baptist, Lutheran, and a slew of others...)
Catholic Christianity
Mormonism (RCLD)
Wicca
and in a lesser sense the Greek and Roman Pantheon.

I make no special case for Christianity in my argument. It is but one of many religions, that in no way are any less false.

How did you come to the conclusion that my comments were directed specifically to you?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Take it a step further though and you can see how truly child-like many atheists perceptions of God are. What child ever accepts that the punishment he or she receives is an act of love? They are certainly capable of of connecting punishment to behavior, but incapable of the reasoning behind the desire to manage behavior. This isn't something you can bring a child to understand through reasoning. They will never associate punishment with love, and they will always associate punishment with displeasure or dissapointment.

What punishment are you referring to here?

I am following on the Dlowan comparison. While I don't believe it to be the case, many believers turned non-believers see earthly suffering as punishment

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not a Christian, in part because the common practice is too desperate to reduce God to human terms, but I do believe that a Christian of thought understands that we can only hope to perceive God's plan, and trusts that he is not insane.

That's a lot of assumptions to make. I've seen nothing to convince me to believe the same.

Good for you Diest. I said it was my belief, not a fact.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Of course this is not to say that all atheists are the disappointed adult children of a Christian God, but it's hard to understand their insistence, or the professed understanding behind that insistence, that God, in any manner, can[not] exist.

I think you made a typo? See my edit above in square brackets.

You're right

I do not have any obligation to prove something does not exist. Until any gods are proven to exist, it does not make any sense (daresay I--it is irresponsible) to assume they do.

Of course you don't, but why do you (if in fact you do) have to insist that God cannot exist?

If you'd like to propose any specific god or gods and provide proof/evidence for their supposed acts, you may do so. However, making some nebulous there must be some sort of singular male deity (you've only referred to one and it has been addressed as male) but not putting up the ante to prove it...

Well...

A
R
That's rather unconvincing.

I'm not trying to convince you that God exists, and I have freely admitted over and over again that I cannot prove he exists. As for my use of the male pronoun...please spare me and don't go there. It is simply a matter of convenience. The notion that God is either male or female is ridiculous.

onetruegod

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:10 pm
hey people,

when i people ask for proof of God, i am astounded.....

has anyone here read the quran??

u might think its the book of satan or something like that, but plz....just for once read it by urself and not go by what preachers ( even islamic ones) and the media says.....do some research by urself.....plz people this is a request...

there's plenty of scientific facts in the quran which are being discovered now...

considering that these facts are written in a book 1400 years old, dont u think its too much of a coincidence???

onetruegod

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
and yes few of these facts were discovered by the greeks before the coming of the quran....but dont u wondor how Mohammed got to know which were the right ones....

i mean the greeks had many theories for the same thing, how did Mohammed know which one was right and which one was wrong????
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@onetruegod,
onetruegod wrote:

hey people,

when i people ask for proof of God, i am astounded.....

has anyone here read the quran??

u might think its the book of satan or something like that, but plz....just for once read it by urself and not go by what preachers ( even islamic ones) and the media says.....do some research by urself.....plz people this is a request...

there's plenty of scientific facts in the quran which are being discovered now...

considering that these facts are written in a book 1400 years old, dont u think its too much of a coincidence???

A lot of these so called scientific facts within the quran are nothing more than bent and twisted, vaguely written statements. Almost like trying to take some poetry and stating that it has some scientific facts embedded into it. Of course it does because you can interpret any way in which you want to. It is nothing more than lies on top of lies to try to give credit to some book of lies to make it try and last longer.
onetruegod

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@Krumple,
dude krumple,

have u even read the quran??
even once with proper meaning??

One verse that instructs man to travel through the earth, make his own observations and use such surveillances to reflect on how creation was originated (29:20).

God tells to find us own way to the truth, he is here to guide us....

just read the book for once before criticizing it....

God has given u a brain, use it!!

take it as a challenge, let the book defend itself... Smile

read it and tell me if u have another meaning for the verses u said can be explained in different ways...
onetruegod

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:19 pm
@onetruegod,
this is for all who think its a book of lies....
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@onetruegod,
onetruegod wrote:

dude krumple,

have u even read the quran??
even once with proper meaning??

One verse that instructs man to travel through the earth, make his own observations and use such surveillances to reflect on how creation was originated (29:20).

God tells to find us own way to the truth, he is here to guide us....

just read the book for once before criticizing it....

God has given u a brain, use it!!

read it and tell me if u have another meaning for the verses u said can be explained in different ways...

I have read it, and not just once. I am an avid consumer of religion. You don't like my opinion so you assume I don't know anything about it because in your mind anyone who would know anything would embrace it like you do. Not the case.

In my opinion Mohammad was nothing but a war monger. He loved to kill and would kill any chance he got. He was also a coward. Like during one battle he was in, he pretended to be dead after him and his men were slaughtered except he survived by pretending to be dead. Once the enemies left he sent some men after them which they were killed. He never actually did any fighting himself, he always sent someone else to do the fighting for him and a huge majority of them wound up dead. Then when they did win battles he would show no mercy towards captured prisoners of war. He would line them up in trenches and chop their heads off. He enjoyed killing people who he viewed as being his enemies. In no way do I find him admirable or even remarkable, he is just a typical warmonger who used murder to promote his cause. It is not surprising that many Muslims admire him and use violent means to promote Islam.

onetruegod

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 03:40 pm
@Krumple,
well, IF U'VE ACTUALLY READ HIS BIOAGRAPHY, then u wouldnt call him a coward....
he went against his entire tribe to preach Islam and was discriminated against and tortured for it but he didnt change his stance, u think thats the work of a coward???

u are talking abt the battle of uhud, which the muslims lost bcas some of them didnt follow their orders properly, Mohammed was presumed dead bcas he was injured WHILE FIGHTING and had to be taken away from the battlefield...

IF U'VE ACTUALLY READ SOMETHING, u'll know that he participated in the battle of badr, in the battle of uhud, the battle of trench and various other ones...

His treatment of his prisoners of war was even viewed highly amongst his enemies, the quran prohibits killing of the enemy's children, women and poeple not able to defend themselves....it even encourages protecting ur enemies if they ask for it....this again u would have know IF U'VE ACTUALLY READ IT...

Muslims in his time lived in peace with the jewish tribes prevaling in thoses regions....hard to believe a person who viewed everyone as their enemies would agree to this....isnt it??

u as an "avid consumer of religion" should've know all this....wonder why u dont.....guess u're just another guy who thinks he knows everything....
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 04:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
failures art wrote:

From the other thread, I've C&P one of Finn's posts...

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

A common theme within the justification of atheist thought is the inability to reconcile human suffering with a God of any sort, let alone a just and loving one.

Why does a Atheist have to justify that they are unconvinced?

They don't, but you will have to ask the ones who try why they do.

People such as yourself assume the justification (read your own post from above), and then must correct these assumptions. You place people in this position when you assume.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

dlowan, apparently, is faced, on a daily basis, with the evil of which mankind is capable and she has somehow connected the belief in God with a victim's belief that his or her suffering is deserved. Labelling both irrational.

She could also be thinking that the suffering is NOT deserved.

Perhaps, but if I recall correctly she drew a very clear comparison between belief in God and the belief of abused children that they were somehow responsible for their abuse. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you take the time to quote her and prove me so.

I'm not familiar with dlowan's thoughts on the matter. I merely suggest that suffering itself is not a issue that is deserved or undeserved, that the idea of deserved suffering is a religious concept, not an atheistic one.

I think based on your later replies, we agree on the point that the idea that suffering is punishment is irrational.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Unfortunately, to a child, drawing a cause and effect relationship between their abuse and their conduct is entirely rational. They are, after all, children.

Not entirely wrong Finn. Children do make false associations, but adults specifically train children to have many of those associations. In the case of the welfare of mankind (the "abuse") being linked with the actions (the "conduct") of mankind, this is a religious association, not a atheistic one. An atheist addressing this view is addressing the illogic of a theistic position, not the other way around.

Not sure what you are arguing here.

A comparison between belief in God and an abused child's belief that their abuse is their own fault is entirely specious. (It might also be considered quite offense by some, but then that other thread was about how atheists were being offended so I guess the point is irrelevant). Dlown, clearly, was making the point that both beliefs are irrational and my argument was that the one she was relying on for her comparison was in fact not. My argument had nothing to do with atheistic or theistic positions.

Children raised to believe in the supernatural concepts of pre-destiny or fate are always coupled with a belief in a god. Otherwise, who is the author of our purpose? Survivors of abuse often rationalize the situation in many ways. I'd say that the idea that they deserved it and the idea that it was simply about some sort of struggle they were supposed to endure are equally irrational. Abuse is simply horrible. Not all thorns lead to roses.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Similarly, it is the residue of this child-like perspective that directs many aetheists to their position of denial.

A failure to be convinced of something because no compelling case can be built is hardly the fault of atheists. It's not like Theists are eagerly presenting a overwhelming body of evidence. Quite contrary really.

You are being overly defensive. I am not faulting atheists, I am merely pointing out that many have reached their conclusion based on a perceived contradiction between a supreme being and eartly suffering. One need only read the posts in this forum to know I am right.

My error then. The phrase "denial" is a bit loaded. I don't think I understand what you mean by reading the posts on the forum though.

failures art wrote:

By the same token, there are many believers who have come to their conclusion through a child-like perspective.

As opposed to? And in that case, who and why?

failures art wrote:

I don't know what other believers intend, but I'm not going to try and prove to you God exists.[/color]

okay.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As adults, we can see that the child's behavior can never be the justifaction for abuse, but some of us are locked into this very human calculation when it comes to consideration of the devine.

Again, this is a religious association that you are making, not an atheistic one. Atheists didn't say god punished Haiti with a earthquake. Atheists didn't think that Haiti fate was "justified." Atheists understood it was a natural event, and nothing more.

Perhaps you (and other atheists) did not, but many people lose their faith or belief in God because of tragedies like the Haitian earthquake, and many atheists offer the Hatian earthquake (and other examples of earthly suffering) as proof there can be no God.

If this doesn't describe you, I won't argue it does.

What's wrong with atheists asking why if a God existed, did these tragedies happen? It's not that the atheists think that a god exists or did anything, but instead it is to directly address the juvenile reasoning of the theists that believe that a god is the driver of our fates. If anything, the atheists are challenging these child like notions of theists.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

A just and loving father would never abuse his children no matter what their behavior, and yet a just and loving God seems to. Therefore they must either excuse the abusive father or deny the abusive God.

Who created this father-god claim you keep talking about? It wasn't atheists.

You have this notion that atheists are all part of a club, and have all come to their conclusion about God from the same place. Many atheists were once believers. If you disagree with this contention, so be it.

I don't disagree. I was once allowed for the belief in a god. You're correct, atheists aren't a group, so why are you making so many generalizations about why atheists because atheists?

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The fallacy here, of course, is that the imagery of God the Father is entirely the creation of humans and their narrow perspective, and it is child-like to insist that God demonstrate the behaviors of the best of earthly human fathers.

All details about all gods are the creation of humans and their narrow perspective.

True

In your narrow perspective, there is one god, for instance. You agree still?

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

These are atheists who do not deny God so much as they deny the facile Christian version of God, and, unfortunately, they seem to be unable to consider God through anything but a facile Christian perspective.

Only one of us is attempting to make a discussion on this monotheistic. It is not me. I was raised with a very diverse exposure to many religions.

Shinto
Buddhism
Native American Shamanism
Protestant Christianity (Baptist, Lutheran, and a slew of others...)
Catholic Christianity
Mormonism (RCLD)
Wicca
and in a lesser sense the Greek and Roman Pantheon.

I make no special case for Christianity in my argument. It is but one of many religions, that in no way are any less false.

How did you come to the conclusion that my comments were directed specifically to you?

They don't need to be directed to me specifically. I'm trying to challenge your notion of Atheism as a reaction to Christianity. Atheism is older than any religion today. Take an atheist from any point in history, the point is that gods don't make sense. It is not a reactionary thing to Christianity.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Take it a step further though and you can see how truly child-like many atheists perceptions of God are. What child ever accepts that the punishment he or she receives is an act of love? They are certainly capable of of connecting punishment to behavior, but incapable of the reasoning behind the desire to manage behavior. This isn't something you can bring a child to understand through reasoning. They will never associate punishment with love, and they will always associate punishment with displeasure or dissapointment.

What punishment are you referring to here?

I am following on the Dlowan comparison. While I don't believe it to be the case, many believers turned non-believers see earthly suffering as punishment

Or more simply, many believers turned non-believers see earthly suffering and realize it's not punishment, AND equally important, they see earthly pleasure/luxury/entitlement and realize it's not reward.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not a Christian, in part because the common practice is too desperate to reduce God to human terms, but I do believe that a Christian of thought understands that we can only hope to perceive God's plan, and trusts that he is not insane.

That's a lot of assumptions to make. I've seen nothing to convince me to believe the same.

Good for you Diest. I said it was my belief, not a fact.

I haven't been a deist for some time. That's why I changed my A2K name.

As for your belief, you seem to be very comfortable with is not being fact. I cannot understand that. I know that I would not be comfortable with that kind of thing.

failures art wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Of course this is not to say that all atheists are the disappointed adult children of a Christian God, but it's hard to understand their insistence, or the professed understanding behind that insistence, that God, in any manner, can[not] exist.

I think you made a typo? See my edit above in square brackets.

You're right

I do not have any obligation to prove something does not exist. Until any gods are proven to exist, it does not make any sense (daresay I--it is irresponsible) to assume they do.

Of course you don't, but why do you (if in fact you do) have to insist that God cannot exist?

This perhaps is the crux of the misunderstanding. No god has ever been proven to exist. The insistence is that no god be given some sort of exemption. Sure, gods could exist, gods that would be able to account for all their claims. None present as stands. I do not expect any to be presented in the future.

failures art wrote:

If you'd like to propose any specific god or gods and provide proof/evidence for their supposed acts, you may do so. However, making some nebulous there must be some sort of singular male deity (you've only referred to one and it has been addressed as male) but not putting up the ante to prove it...

Well...

A
R
That's rather unconvincing.

I'm not trying to convince you that God exists, and I have freely admitted over and over again that I cannot prove he exists. As for my use of the male pronoun...please spare me and don't go there. It is simply a matter of convenience. The notion that God is either male or female is ridiculous.

And that there is only one? That's not a matter of convenience, that's a matter of preference. I don't see many religious people arguing for the suspended belief that gods could exist when that argument could open the door for more than just their god.

A
R
T
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 05:08 am
@failures art,
the philosophical problem you have is that the nature of reality itself is unknown to us. It does not consist of atoms - they have been shown to be mostly empty space, describable only in terms of mathematical functions with very dubious substantiality. All they have is a tendency to exist. So what is everything made of? Empty space, meanwhile, is teeming with potential energy, and physical cosmology can account for less than 10% of the physical universe. And what we think of as reality has been shown by cognitive science to be mainly the activity of neural networks which create the montage or matrix within which we apparently exist. So before you start ruling god in or out, how about figuring out where we actually are. I think you will find reality is far stranger than any religion, most of which is stuck in the medieval ages, as are your thoughts about it.
failures art

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 06:38 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

the philosophical problem you have is that the nature of reality itself is unknown to us.

How is this a philosophical problem for me? Even if reality is not what I perceive, the notion of any god is just a different perception of reality. I see the issue of reality being far more threatening to the idea of deities. I see it as being far less threatening to the idea of a natural universe.
jeeprs wrote:

It does not consist of atoms - they have been shown to be mostly empty space, describable only in terms of mathematical functions with very dubious substantiality.

The evolution of the atomic model will continue to change. I have no doubt in that. Our ability to measure and predict atomic behavior will only improve over time. The scientific method is only impaired by time here. Atoms, while 'mysterious' to us, are very much in fact what the universe is composed of.
jeeprs wrote:

All they have is a tendency to exist. So what is everything made of? Empty space, meanwhile, is teeming with potential energy, and physical cosmology can account for less than 10% of the physical universe. And what we think of as reality has been shown by cognitive science to be mainly the activity of neural networks which create the montage or matrix within which we apparently exist.

What we are made of, even if it is not material in the way we conceptualize things, is still ultimately natural.
jeeprs wrote:

So before you start ruling god in or out, how about figuring out where we actually are.

I haven't ruled any god out. I've ruled gods unnecessary in a natural universe. So whether we are just energy phasing in and out of reality, or firm material constructs, either are natural states which require no gods as adhesive.
jeeprs wrote:

I think you will find reality is far stranger than any religion, most of which is stuck in the medieval ages, as are your thoughts about it.

No matter how strange I find nature, I will be incorrect, and nature will be correct. If I find nature to be odd, then it is I that is odd. Nature always wins. Reality is nature under a being's perspective. Perception may change, as well the beings, but nature remains the same.

As for religion, I don't think it medieval. Had I been alive in medieval times, I would have found it primitive then as well.

A
Reality is nature perceived by a being
T