A Failure To Convince Me That Any Gods Exist

jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:09 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Atheism is older than ANY religion, let alone Judaism and Christianity.

but this is absurd, art, for how could atheism exist without something to deny? The Carvakas, the Indian materialists, denied all the gods, rites, vedas, the whole show, but they were reacting to the pre-existing tradition.

Belief in the Gods was ubiquitous in ancient European and Near Eastern society. How do we know this? There are religious artefacts and remains of religious rituals interred with the Neanderthal remains going back twenty or thirty thousand years. There was the famous Neanderthal Flower Burial which was dated to around 35,000 BC and is commonly regarded as evidence of belief in an afterlife.

And I see your type of atheism, which is after all hardly a rare or exotic outlook amongst the secular intelligentsia, exactly as a reactionary movement against mainly Protestant dogmatism. This is why secularism is so much like the religion it is reacting against. If you were completely indifferent to the idea of God, you would never have started this conversation, would not be persisting with it, and would have nothing to say on the matter. So how could it not be reactionary?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:18 pm
My point all the way...why do you think I insist on asking him what definition of God was he to not believe.
Still my vision of God, so Dead, so distant, so abstract, seams to be very different from yours... Nevertheless he has a point in mentioning there are and always were believers, non believers and agnostics...he just went the wrong way about it.
(non believers of course can divide at least into two groups, those who never felt the need and those who react against the concept and its imperfections in relation to they´re cultural personnel cosmogony or background)
jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:28 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
officially I am Buddhist. Buddhists don't pray to God for salvation or believe in a creator god. Neither do I, although I have a religious disposition, which I won't attempt to deny. But atheism frequently oversteps the mark.The atheist idea that the universe is devoid of any objective morality is a short step from nihilism. Nihilism really is a very common outlook and I think it is very unhealthy. It might be quite possible for an intelligent person not to have any beliefs about these things whatever and indeed I am generally quite 'secular' in my outlook. But as a 'policy position' this kind of atheism has deleterious consequences, in my view. That is why I will always argue against it - it is what brought me to online forums. There is a range of views other than materialism on one end and fundamentalist Christianity on the other. I am trying to present one of them.
NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:37 pm
@failures art,
You would be an excellent Buddhist!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@jeeprs,
Yeah...now that you mention I recall that...my memory is a mess this days, the more I read the more I forget...
At a distance Buddhism and Taoism also has caught my eye I look at them more like philosophy´s and less like religions do !
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:02 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

but this is absurd, art, for how could atheism exist without something to deny?

Forget the word "atheist" for a second and think about what an atheist is: A skeptic.

Right now you are an "aryzherist." You don't believe in the idea of a "ryzher." A ryzher is a concept I just made up in my head right now. It doesn't matter that my creation of this concept (whatever it is) came after your initial state. What matters is that your state didn't change, mine did. You aren't rebelling against the idea of a ryzher.

So lets say that a ryzher is a real number defined such that...

(n/m)!
where n-m=!0;

This would mean that a ryzher would exist between 1! and 2!. This is nonsense. Now, rejecting that such a thing as a ryzher doesn't define you as much as it would define me if I believed that ryzhers did exist.

jeeprs wrote:

And I see your type of atheism, which is after all hardly a rare or exotic outlook amongst the secular intelligentsia, exactly as a reactionary movement against mainly Protestant dogmatism.

Because you say so.

jeeprs wrote:

This is why secularism is so much like the religion it is reacting against.

Perhaps you'd like to contribute to my thread about my new hobby: Not collecting stamps.

While the secular-religion meme is popular, it is like saying that bald is a hair color.

jeeprs wrote:

If you were completely indifferent to the idea of God, you would never have started this conversation, would not be persisting with it, and would have nothing to say on the matter.

Because you say so.

Who said I was indifferent on the topic of deities? I said I've not been presented a cogent argument for one, not that I am "indifferent" or don't care.

Aside from that, I started this thread specifically because a poster here on a2K was stating their opinion on why atheist's exist. Their opinion was radically divorced from my experience and projected views upon me which I didn't have. I stated as much, and the poster said they would be interested in hearing my reasons. It's as simple as that.

jeeprs wrote:

So how could it not be reactionary?

Note the title of the thread. I put great intention in it.

The title is not "why I became an atheist," but instead "A failure to convince me that any gods exist." I didn't decide gods weren't real, I realized that I was never convinced that any were ever real.

Perhaps cliche, but the god-placebo analogy here would apply that one day I stopped taking the pills not because they weren't working, but because I realized I wasn't ever sick to begin with. The placebo was always unnecessary, even when I thought they were what was keeping me well and free. Quite contrary, the habit kept me in mental bondage.

A
R
T
jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
@failures art,
If you say so. But I will give you this, you're a good conversationalist.

Incidentally, the original intent of skepticism was a spiritual philosophy, very close to Buddhism. Might start a thread on that topic.
failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
@jeeprs,
Thank you jeeprs. I've enjoyed talking to you as well. I've been quite excited to meet and debate with the new people on the forums since the merger. It's refreshing to have so many new angles to approach odd topics from.

Additionally, please forgive me if my humor comes off as brash or dismissive. Text is poor at conveying inflection, and rereading my own posts after I seeing how people reply to them, I do think that something is lost, and what remains can come off as perhaps abrasive. I aim to be engaging and playful, but I realize that many of these topics stir many emotions for people, myself included.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm
@jeeprs,
Unlike belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, belief in witches did have a profound influence on Western culture. Nevertheless, I feel perfectly free to trivialize this belief as matter of epistemology.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:16 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

If you say so. But I will give you this, you're a good conversationalist.

Incidentally, the original intent of skepticism was a spiritual philosophy, very close to Buddhism. Might start a thread on that topic.

He could do better...to reactive.
But he has some points worth reading I give him that...
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:17 pm
@Thomas,
How dare you, Thomas!

Aggrogance!!!!1one
R
T
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 09:27 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
Failures Art wrote:
Atheism is older than ANY religion, let alone Judaism and Christianity.

but this is absurd, art, for how could atheism exist without something to deny?

You appear to misconceive atheists as ideologues dedicated to disbelief in god. This is not so. They are just people whose worldview happens to do without any belief in deities. You're right to a point: If everyone else in the world didn't believe in god either, I probably wouldn't call myself a racist any more than I am now calling myself an atoothfairyist. I would call myself a Utilitarian, a critical rationalist, or whatever word positively describes how I feel about ethics and metaphysics. But I would still be an atheist by the currently-prevailing dictionary definitions of the word. And that's where you go wrong.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 11:48 pm
@Thomas,
but I think where your argument fails is to presume that a worldview divorced from any 'sense of the sacred' is a normal worldview. I don't think it is a normal worldview, except in the context of modern western society. I think there is a strong religious instinct in the human species, and for various reasons, it has been suppressed or denied. The worldview us moderns have is actually highly artificial and completely unrealistic. This shows up in various indirect ways, most often, in ordinary society, as a sense of lack, which people try and restlessly deny or fill up through various diversions or addictions. So if you were able to show me a magnificently well-adjusted populace without obesity and addiction epidemics, and a harmonious and peaceful economy where everyone contributed and we were all working towards the common good, then I might believe that we are not missing out on something of fundamental importance about the nature of existence.

But as it happens, I don't.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:15 am
@Thomas,
One further point, I am not trying to convert. (I have to keep reminding myself of that). It is a personal matter as to whether one believes in God (or 'the sacred') or not. But just 'cause you can't understand it, it doesn't mean it ain't there. Neither His existence or non-existence can be proven. I am arguing for an open mind, the space of possibility, and trying to illuminate what we bring to the table in this debate, which is often much more than we are conscious of.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:31 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

but I think where your argument fails is to presume that a worldview divorced from any 'sense of the sacred' is a normal worldview. I don't think it is a normal worldview, except in the context of modern western society.

Innately sacred or the ability to view something as sacred?

jeeprs wrote:

I think there is a strong religious instinct in the human species, and for various reasons, it has been suppressed or denied.
jeeprs wrote:

This implies that the above was meant to taken as things being innately sacred.

Religion is learned thing. Babies are not born in Cleveland, Cape Town, and New Delhi with some sort of default religious nature that supports the idea that religion is instinctual.

The worldview us moderns have is actually highly artificial and completely unrealistic. This shows up in various indirect ways, most often, in ordinary society, as a sense of lack, which people try and restlessly deny or fill up through various diversions or addictions. So if you were able to show me a magnificently well-adjusted populace without obesity and addiction epidemics, and a harmonious and peaceful economy where everyone contributed and we were all working towards the common good, then I might believe that we are not missing out on something of fundamental importance about the nature of existence.

But as it happens, I don't.

I'm confused about how this makes for your case. Obesity and addiction epidemics show no trend I know of along atheistic/theistic borders. Couldn't the "diversion" be the belief in gods which allows for a perceived "sense of lack?"

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:34 am
@failures art,
Additionally, this "sense of lack" you describe, do you believe that atheists feel less fulfilled in their lives? If you were to find out that they feel every bit as satisfied (perhaps even more) as a religious person, how would that effect your notions about a worldview that doesn't subscribe to things being innately sacred?

A
R
T
Thomas

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:36 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
but I think where your argument fails is to presume that a worldview divorced from any 'sense of the sacred' is a normal worldview.

1) So what? There is nothing wrong with a worldview being abnormal, so long as it's correct. Galileo's worldview that the Earth revolves around the Sun was once abnormal.

2) What makes you think that atheists have no sense of the sacred? Perhaps it's because "Sacred" is one of those words that mean many things to many people, virtually guaranteeing that they speak past each other when they use it. I do have a "sense of the sacred" under Webster's definition 5 of the word "sacred": "5 a : unassailable, inviolable b : highly valued and important <a sacred responsibility>". It is only the other, religious definitions of the word "sacred" by which I have no "sense of the sacred".

jeeprs wrote:
So if you were able to show me a magnificently well-adjusted populace without obesity and addiction epidemics, and a harmonious and peaceful economy where everyone contributed and we were all working towards the common good, then I might believe that we are not missing out on something of fundamental importance about the nature of existence.

Religion doesn't create such societies either. Indeed, my impression is that more religious societies tend to be less harmonious and peaceful etc. than less religious ones. That said, if you want to see a highly functional secular society that is much less religious than the USA, I suggest you take a look at Sweden.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@failures art,
I think it is quite possible for the atheist to lead a happy and fulfilling life, provided he/she is motivated and balanced and so on. But how many people are like that? The reason the religions have a job to do is because humans are not naturally inclined towards sweetness and light. There are very basic facts about the human situation which they generally don't want to know. The only way to package these truths in such a way that people can understand them is to tell them in stories and symbolic accounts and to work out ways to enact them.

And you will never convince me that a spiritual hunger is not a deep and ever-present drive in the modern world. It is there in almost everyone, generally unrecognised.
failures art

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:15 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I think it is quite possible for the atheist to lead a happy and fulfilling life, provided he/she is motivated and balanced and so on.

Is this a yes or no? I asked if an atheist can be just as happy as a theist. Saying that an atheist can be happy is not clear enough as to your opinion that an atheist can achieve the same degree of happiness and fulfillment.

jeeprs wrote:

But how many people are like that?

How many are required? I've met plenty. Had I known I should have been counting...

jeeprs wrote:

The reason the religions have a job to do is because humans are not naturally inclined towards sweetness and light.

"Sweetness and light" is a bit florid of a description, wouldn't you agree? Is this your opinion of what religion gives a person: A sweet and light inclination?

History disagrees. I'd go a bit further, and say that religion institutionalizes biases and entitlements which are anything but sweet and light.

jeeprs wrote:

There are very basic facts about the human situation which they generally don't want to know.

"They" as in all humans, or as in just the atheists? Additionally, what "facts" do they not want to know, and for what purpose do they not want to know them?

jeeprs wrote:

The only way to package these truths in such a way that people can understand them is to tell them in stories and symbolic accounts and to work out ways to enact them.

Only!?!?!?!?

I'll agree that stories are a great way to communicate values. I'll disagree that religion "packages truths" or for that matter that a story must be factual for the value to translate.

Certainly values can be transmitted from Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, or even from the colorful pages of a Captain America Comic. We need not portray these events as true for their significance to be valid, nor is the act of storytelling inherently religious.

jeeprs wrote:

And you will never convince me that a spiritual hunger is not a deep and ever-present drive in the modern world. It is there in almost everyone, generally unrecognised.

If you wish to define my curiosity in the universe and nature as "spiritual hunger," I won't stop you. If for your beliefs, I must have this hunger, then you'd find a way to view me this way regardless.

The idea however that it is "unrecognized" seems to carry the passenger statement that it is only unrecognized to the atheist, bless their heart, if they could only see.

A
Really hungry... for some chips.
T
jeeprs

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Certainly values can be transmitted from Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, or even from the colorful pages of a Captain America Comic. We need not portray these events as true for their significance to be valid, nor is the act of storytelling inherently religious.

But we are getting close to a fundamental truth here. I think a great deal of the entertainment industry is actually a substitute religion. Why do we treat stars as demigods? IN a materialist society, fame, wealth and pleasure are the highest goods. The 'movie stars' have them in spades.

Question: do you think that religious myth is a metaphor for something? Do you think it speaks to the human condition, or do you see it simply as a species of delusion?