All Things Pixar!

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:43 pm
Maybe I'm still on my postToy Story 3 high from last night but I believe that Pixar Studio needs an all encompassing thread here at a2k.

Toy Story 3 is by far the best of the trilogy. Unexpectedly dark for a G rated film, it's a laugh out loud film that also manages to understand and depict childhood sentimentality and imagination without being too saccharine.

It's amazing how much emotion animation can granted to toys and though it's expected that Pixar will excessively pull the viewers (including myself) heartstrings at key plot moments, I didn't feel wrongly manipulated by these well known characters.

Also, as a tradition, every theatrically released Pixar film comes preceded with a short film. And with Day & Night as the opening act to Toy Story 3, Pixar shows the audience, they are a serious film studio and even the short films get the top notch production treatment.
http://www.pixar.com/shorts/d&n/2.html
And if you forgive me the bit of well deserved hyperbole, this artsy short film is the best of the studio lot. It's a narrationless and dialogueless flick involving Day and Night, two reverse silhouettes encapsulating their landscapes in respective day and night modes. Each jealous of the other's timely and uncommon and novel activities.

It's a musical ode in the flavor of

~~~
So what is your favorite Pixar film? Or are you an animated fundamentalist/purist and refuse to watch any animated film that came after 1959's Sleeping Beauty? Or do you prefer the snarky and backtalking lot of Dreamscape Animation Studio and their fare of Shrek or Twentieth Century Fox Animation's Ice Age franchises?

And here is an article about one of the legendary people at the studio:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Seriously-Awesome-Letter-From-Pete-Docter-To-Pixar-Fan-19026.html

Irishk

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:50 pm
That's a hard one, Tsar. I have a favorite Pixar character, though. Wall-E, followed by Woody, followed by Carl Fredricksen, followed by.....guess I better stop lol.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Haven't seen it yet. I'm waiting for the DVD to come out with all the added bonus features like interviews with the artists and voice actors and the director's cut with narrative about creating the film.

I have Toy Story 1 and 2 and immensely enjoyed the bonus features as much or even more than the movie itself. I've watched Toy Story 1 to study the animations, scenery and special effects so many times I feel like I've memorized many of the scene dialogs.

Looking forward to 3!

Oh, as to your other question, yep, love Ice Age too, and have studied that DVD to death.
djjd62

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:48 pm
my favourite tune from toy story

Butrflynet

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
@djjd62,
Watch that scene with the sound turned off, Djjd. The emotions drawn on his face are priceless and tell just as much (maybe more) of the story as the audio does. It is amazing how they were able to use perspective to let the viewer share his yearning to fly, his exhilaration at attempting to fly and the defeated feeling of failure as he got so close to success. All that was done with a little shadow of a bird flying past and a window high up on a wall.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Pixar has the best director commentaries I have listened to on DVD's. Was kind of disappointed when Up came out onto DVD without the director's commentary track.

AS for the order of full length Pixar films?
1. The Incredibles 10/10;
2. Ratatouille 10/10;
3. Finding Nemo 10/10;
4. Up 10/10;
5. Wall*E 10/1o;
tied 5. Toy Story 3 10/10;
6. Toy Story 8/10;
7. Toy Story 2 7/10;

And since Pixar isn't perfect:
8. Cars 4/10;
9. Monster's Inc 3/10;
10. A Bug's Life 3/10.
tsarstepan

Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:14 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Toy Story 3: How Pixar changed animation

The Guardian - Film News

Where the Disney-owned studio leads, the rest of Hollywood follows. And its latest film, Toy Story 3, is already a hit

In the notoriously precarious film industry, where nothing is certain and no one knows anything, there is one word that functions simultaneously as talisman, balm and kitemark. That word is Pixar, and you don't have to be a shareholder in Disney, which bought the computer animation studio in 2006, to feel reassured when you hear it.

With the imminent UK release of Toy Story 3, the apparently final instalment of the groundbreaking series that began Pixar's reign in 1995, the question of how one studio has maintained such incomparably high quality control remains intriguing. Among Pixar's contemporaries, only Japan's Studio Ghibli (much beloved of the Pixar crowd, who even pay tribute to the Ghibli classic My Neighbour Totoro in Toy Story 3) has been more consistently groundbreaking in animation, and even ยป

- Ryan Gilbey

Rest of the article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jun/30/toy-story-3-pixar-animation

Future release dates of Toy Story 3:
Japan 10 July 2010
France 14 July 2010
UK 23 July 2010
Austria 29 July 2010
Germany 29 July 2010
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435761/releaseinfo
GO SEE IT OR BE SQUARE!! Mad
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:30 am
I like the outtakes. just the fact that an animated film has out takes is enough.
Stinky pete chatting up the barbie dolls
tsarstepan

Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:52 am
@dadpad,
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:02 am
I love Edna Mode from the Incredibles

Me, Mo and many of Mo's friends have been playing the Toy Story 3 video game obsessively over the last few days. Pixar raised the bar on movie knock-off games with this one with it's free play "Toy Box" area!
DrewDad

Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:24 am
@boomerang,
"Edna Mode" is an anagram for "dead omen".
boomerang

Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:50 am
@DrewDad,
And for "named Doe"
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:03 am
@tsarstepan,
Pixar is love! Pixar is life!

Five Stages Of Watching A Pixar Movie - HISHE Features: OnlyLeigh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47NfSze1PI
0 Replies

jenniesmith011

Thu 2 Jul, 2015 02:39 am
Watch that scene with the sound turned off, Djjd.
0 Replies

samson25

Thu 2 Jul, 2015 02:58 am
I like Pixar's cartoon about clouds)
tsarstepan

Thu 2 Jul, 2015 11:03 am
@samson25,
Partly Cloudy (2009) is a cutie of a Pixar short film.
jenniesmith011

Sat 11 Jul, 2015 05:02 am
It is amazing how they were able to use perspective to let the viewer share his yearning to fly, his exhilaration at attempting to fly and the defeated feeling of failure as he got so close to success. All that was done with a little shadow of a bird flying past and a window high up on a wall.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7025965/pixars-next-7-movies-unveiled
0 Replies

Anna Johnson

Wed 5 Jul, 2017 07:01 am
@tsarstepan,
Well, no doubt that Pixar has created some amazing animated features films like Up, Wall-E, Frozen and many others.
0 Replies

mmak7081

Fri 10 Aug, 2018 07:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Wall-E my favorite
0 Replies