What really happened to this forum?

stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:41 am
The one thing that bugs me is that you cannot see who is currently viewing a given thread.
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:44 pm
@hue-man,
Quote:
but what do you guys think really happened to the old forum?
I have it in my pocket. If you do not send me moneys I will "accidentally" wash it. Dont mess with me, I has tuff and am seryosness.
roger

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
@Ionus,
We are supposed to be seryos about a skwril in a beanie?

As if!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:59 pm
@stevecook172001,
You had that feature on the old forum, Steve? That might be interesting.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:33 pm
@roger,
On the olden days a2k, you could see who is online here - I think, maybe I'm mis-remembering. For all I know, we still can, but I said no for me in my preferences and I never look at the home page and hardly ever the popular page, so I don't know if there's some button for that.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
that was in a fairly early version, wasn't it?

I remember missing that when we lost it. I also liked being able to see (as I recall it) the beginning of the last post in each thread. Gosh, and our photo albums. There were pix in timber's albums ... <sigh>
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@ehBeth,
I seem to remember the photo data was saved, or at least it was for a while.

There is a choice in Preferences to display online status - I just don't know where one would check who is online.. (I should look around).
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
They are talking about a feature that phpBB didn't have (not just who's online, but who's reading this particular topic right now).

We intend to do more online notification stuff, but I am not sure we are going to get that specific anytime soon.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks - I personally don't care, but I can see the new folk would miss it.
On the photo albums, I remember it being a matter of server space, early days on, and perhaps of slowing the site down. (I know you know I don't know what I'm talking about.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
If a person hasn't selected the hide online status choice on their profile settings, it will show when they are online on their profile page. If you look at Dyslexia's profile page in the next few minutes, you'll see a green "online" note next to his name in the upper left corner of the profile page.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I liked the online thing at the beginning when there were just a few members - easier to figure out if there was anyone around to respond to anything.

At this point, I don't think it'd add much to my experience (now I know there will be someone around pretty much around the clock), but I suspect the PF folks would like to be able to tell if any of their peeps are here to play with.

That need will hopefully decrease over the coming days/weeks/months.
0 Replies