What is the meaning of this life we speak of?

Arjuna

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:

Love is one of the most dominant themes in my life.

Are you saying that everyone searches for meaning outside of the material world? If so, do you find meaning in the material world, implying that you believe the material world exists?
Right on.

Like Fido was saying: experience is immediate... as soon as I call it my experience, what was living becomes a ghost.... an object of thought. The big Kahuna ghost is me: the unchanging core of experience. How do we have this particular idea?

Material world is also a ghost. An object of thought. It's the grand companion of me. It's the stage and the script: " I stood there and said this... she smiled and walked away." It's a dualism drawn out of one experience of living. How could experience itself contain that division? Know what I mean?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:17 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

failures art wrote:

Because no purpose is required to live. Similarly it is not required to have a favorite number or color to be alive.

I'd say yes and no to that. I'd go with Victor Frankl that a person can/will endure any how as long as they have a why. It's intuition... call it crap if you want... I've seen it. A person stays alive until the reason they were living is resolved.

I think seeing what you're saying requires looking at it from a different angle. Which would be: ?

The question was how I didn't see any "designed purpose" into our life. I never said we can't assign meaning to things and that those meanings can't have effects on people. I'm simply saying those meanings are are our own mental constructs, not some innate feature of being alive.

A
R
T
0 Replies