Archetypes that push your buttons

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:43 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I think he was a nutcase, and/or wanted something illicit going on, and this was his way of absolving himself.

This was exactly how I read the original post. I could see a line like "If you want to save your soul, you have to give yourself to me entirely. I wonder how you could show that..."
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Neutral

We must run with a different crowd of Americans.

I don't know anyone, ulta-religious or not, that thinks a licensed massage therapist is really a prostitute.
It's understood this took training, licensure and is an important service providing pain relief, relaxation, a chance to relax not just the body, but the mind.

It's not hard to pick out the legitimate massage theripists from the prostitutes.

I think he was a nutcase, and/or wanted something illicit going on, and this was his way of absolving himself.

Anyway....

archetypes....I'd say the Victim.
I think the name for the crowd you run with is mature. I can get myself into some turmoil over the image of the Victim too. Putting the Victim on a pedastal... like being a victim makes a person virtuous, when it fundamentally means powerless.
Arjuna

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:25 am
@Always Eleven to him,
Always Eleven to him wrote:

The priest archetype pushes my buttons, too. I was once trapped next to a Roman Catholic priest on a ninety-minute flight. He spent the entire time trying to convince me to spend time getting to know God as I would get to know any other new person or friend. When I realized that the debate was going nowhere, I finally told him that I understood the analogy, but that I don't worship my friends as he worships his God.

Then I felt bad for letting him get my goat. Arjuna -- I wasn't as good about it as you were, though. I didn't engage in any critical self-examination later. You've got me going now, though.
I didn't think I handled it particularly well. I was just glad nothing bad happened. I was kind of forced to think about it because of HOW angry I became.

I was once targeted by a Korean Christian. He was encouraging me to find God. I noticed that I was mainly seeing Korean, not Preacher. Funny how masks can obscure the humanity that's behind...
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Self-important, self-employed photographers. Nothing gets me steamed like those types. I just want to puke when i see their photos.
Because of the pretense? Do you do photography?
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:10 am
@Arjuna,
I was just pokin' Boom in the ribs. The member whose post preceded mine is a photographer, and i was just tryin' to get a rise out of her.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:36 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

I can get myself into some turmoil over the image of the Victim too. Putting the Victim on a pedastal... like being a victim makes a person virtuous, when it fundamentally means powerless.

I need to amend this.

I don't mean people are are legitimately victims. I'm not meaning someone who was in a natural disaster, or were robbed, beaten, raped etc. when they were in no position to have that happen to them.
Most definately I do not mean children who are victims of adults.

I'm talking about the, what I consider the professional victim, for whom that is a way of life. The person who let's everyone know how hard life treats them, when life is treating them the same way it's treating everyone else.

Here's the first example that pops into my mind, an actual event with someone I've known for years through work, but only see occassionally...

Victim: Is that a new (fill in the blank)
Me: Yeah, I really like it too.
Victim: sigh......I wish I could get something like that....I don't have that kind of money
Me: They're not expensive. (then saying the following, hoping it would stop the "poor me's") I know how much money you make, and it's a more than me. If I can afford it, so can you.

Vic: Oh....but I have bills, electric, ....I have a house you know, I have to pay a mortgage...

Me: I own a house too.

Vic: Oh....but you have a husband, I'm a single mother (son is over 18).

Me: My husband is on disability, he doesn't work.

Vic: Oh.....but......

and on and on.

Me:

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
I cannot abide by "princesses". By that I mean the type of person (usually a woman, but I have seen male princesses) who are only interested in the material, and the superficial. Princesses are the kind of people who compliment you to your face, effusively, and then turn around and stab you in the back. They are totally insincere, shallow, and self involved.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:40 pm
People who think they know it all...

really annoy those of us who do.
Arjuna

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:01 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

People who think they know it all...

really annoy those of us who do.
Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. I don't wanna be a PeeHead no more.
HexHammer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
@Arjuna,
Overly selfcenterd people, specially those who makes me wait.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:33 pm
@Arjuna,
What does that even mean?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:12 am
perpetual grad students

academics who have never worked outside of the academic environment

<steam comes out of my ears when I have to spend time with them>
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:46 am

authoritarians; especially collectivist ones
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:24 pm
Righteous extremists of any kind.

Self-involved narcissists .

0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:59 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

When I was a massage therapist, a client succeeded in getting my goat... he pushed a button. He was a Holiness preacher I was seeing for neuralgia. On the third visit, he revealed that the real reason he'd been coming to see me was to save my soul... massage therapy is evil. I experienced just a split second of the feeling of losing control... as if it was a good thing there wasn't a baseball bat nearby.

Upon later reflection, I realized it wasn't him so much. It was the Preacher thing. It's an archetype that plagues my psyche. The control I have over it comes only from being aware that it's a door to wackiness for me. That helps me to distinguish between the actual person in front of me and the image. So I don't respond to the person as if he IS that image.

The image is partly my personal tendencies combined with images built over the last 500 years or so. Jung talked about the image of the man in the long black coat... a Catholic priest. I wonder if this is same archetype. Ever notice how in a supernatural horror movie, when you hear monks singing in the background... something really bad is about to happen?

What archetype pushes your button?

1) Ideologues of any and all persuasions

2) Socially/interpersonally innadequate men (it usually is men) who express that innadequacy in generally up-tight, agressive f*ckwittery

In my experience, 1) and 2) often co-occur.

Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:02 pm
Those who represent Families. Such as "Family First" here in Australia.
stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:45 am
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

1) Ideologues of any and all persuasions

2) Socially/interpersonally innadequate men (it usually is men) who express that innadequacy in generally up-tight, agressive f*ckwittery

In my experience, 1) and 2) often co-occur.

Oh yes, there there are a couple more...

3) Ignoramuses who proudly bask in their own ignorance as if it is a badge of honour. I hasten to add, here, this absolutely does not include people who are ignorant out of circumstance through no fault of their own.

4) Smart-arses who harbour the missaprehension that they know far more than they do. I am bound to admit, though, to a certain degree of self-loathing being implicated in this one.

0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:50 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

perpetual grad students

I would have loved to be a perpetual grad student. DANG YOU REAL LIFE!!!
dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:05 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

perpetual grad students

I would have loved to be a perpetual grad student. DANG YOU REAL LIFE!!!

Yeah, but real life, like cod-liver oil, is GOOD for you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:06 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

Those who represent Families. Such as "Family First" here in Australia.

SO TRUE!!!!
0 Replies