Nature vs nurture topc 4: part 1

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:00 pm
Does our standard of dialect come from environment or birth?

This is a substrate/constituent of my topic and a very big one to me. I hardly talk about how words are related to nature vs nurture but they are significantly. Without words,a certain environment looses its essence. What i mean by that is,remember what was talking about in my earlier posts about how each environment holds a certain number of factors which allow certain types of people to express themselves and do what they want to do? Well, i think this could be a fourth factor.

The plan
I will give you a system, the certain environment equals certain kinds of people,places and emotions, certain kinds of people,places and emotions use a certain standard of words,therefore certain types of environment have certain kinds of words. A=B B=C, then A=C. Simple as that. Without a standard dialect in a certain environment,nobody is communicating,therefore nobody can express themselves socially and if you cant express yourself socially then there is A lot that you miss out on.
Contribution of words
Words tell stories,they set events in motion,they CREATE Emotions. These are just some of the effects words have on the world. To stay more on point,We all have different styles in which we talk. There are different type of languages like English, Spanish and those....then there are different types within THOSE languages like for english, you have standard english,slang,british english,broken english and so on.
Loss of words
Now Obviously, i think that language is completely environmental. Depending on where you grew up,thats how your vernacular is. Everytime a word is loss,it takes an abundant amount of things with it. Like lets say,in a slum or ghetto of some sort. The usual vernacular would be slang,now the words that are not used and that could remove some of the ignorance that are in these places are not there. Long vocab words like magnanimous and words of that sort. They miss out on so much and dont "learn" what is supposed to be "taught". This is why there are alot of problems today,people hardly know how to communicate.
Effect of word-crossing
Now once in a while,you will have people in certain environments that might use a vernacular that might not pertain to that area. This could either be a problem or a solution. I am indifferent to this one due to the fact that within environments,If your in a ghetto with all your friends and some guy comes strolling down the street talking in a supercilious tone and he is using vocabulary words. People might get pissed because they probably think that he thinks he is better then everybody else. That could be the case. The solution would be if he is some guy from the government coming to tell them that this slum will be rebuilt but still in a different tone then there is a good effect. What if he is a teacher and he is saying that he wants to build a bunch of schools here for the children that live in that area. There goes another one. word-crossing is in itself indifferent. I recently found a quote that relates to my topic. It does not necessarily talk about words but it relates to it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 808 • Replies: 0
No top replies