Nature vs nurture topic 1: The basis

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:39 pm
Well Back in my highschool, I posted essays on an my english homework site called youthvoices and every week we had to do an essay so i guess ill start off with posting bits and pieces of those and anybody who wants to tell me what they believe or think,please do. Ok so This is part of the first essay i wrote so here goes.

Are people born with their personalities or does it come about from environment.

Well this question is still important to me for the same reasons. It has become alot more significant these days because i have been thinking greatly about life and my future. I am starting to think that if we figure out how other people are then we can somewhat tell how their future is going to turn out. I was on the computer yesterday and i was looking up how you can predict your future cause i really want to know what I am going to do and where my life is headed. I already know what i WANT to do but it is just a matter of getting to that goal. I mean i beleive that we create our own fate and so the road to getting their wil only be as arduous and as mundane as I make it. The reason why I think our personalities are synonymous with our future is because take me for example; i like to help people; I mean i really like to help people! Therefore I want to do something in the future that helps people THEREFORE I would like to be a doctor or just a humanitarian overall; being a doctor is just one part of my goal. I would like to be a medium for help. Think of me as a personal handkerchief. See how this works?? Now this isnt just one way our personalities affect our lives; there are a copious amount of other ways. So if we learn more about other peoples personalities then we can probably tell where they are coming from and where they are going and i think that is very crucial.

Well I found this quote that sums up what my interest is as of now. There are lots and lots of aspects when it comes down to talking about nature vs nurture. Some of which are deeper then others. I think personalities derive from environment along with birth. I think they are almost interchangeable. You have a set of subconscious rules for your personality because of birth but overtime these rules change due to environment reasons. We are subject to it no matter how much we try to stay natural and true to ourselves,we cant help but become morphed by what we see and hear. Also what you do is formed by what you see and hear. Lets say you have a short temper due to birth and you hear somebody call you stupid,now because of this birth defect,the environment brings it out and you hit that kid in the face. This could be one instance amoung many but i think this is a prime example.

"Our personalities are expressions of an innate nature which can be variously developed, but is still guided by our natural endowments."

Basically all this is saying is that our personalities are still effected by our environment but birth traits and such regulate our personalities. We are constantly checking ourselves due to our "subconcious rudiments" as i mentioned earlier on. We are punctilious within ourselves when showing our traits and things. "should i show this or should i show that" It seems so natural to do it. This is brought out by the enviornment, especially on the social scale. When people talk to you,you talk back the way you want to but at the same time the environment plays a role in that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 706 • Replies: 0
No top replies