Quote:
Peanut Butter Poem

Stars were meant for wishing
Flowers were meant for smelling
Snowflakes were meant for being caught on little children's
pink tongues.

Romeo was meant for Juliet
Authur was meant for Gwen
Prince Charming was meant for every damsel in distress.

Peanut butter was meant for jelly
Bacon was meant for eggs
Salt was meant for curing all bland tasting foods.

I am sure of all this, dear
and I am sure of this too
You were meant for me
and I was meant for you.

© Cordie Starr
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:43 pm
Quote:
Peanut butter, as a food, is a fairly recent invention - little more than 100 years ago. It was first called nutmeal. Since then it has become one of North America's most popular foods. Commercial brands are basically peanuts, sugar, salt and a stabilizing oil. The stabilizing oil keeps the peanut oil from separating from the peanut paste. While most North Americans use peanut butter as a key ingredient of a peanut butter sandwich - people elsewhere in the world are more likely to use it as an ingredient in cooking (stews, soups, sauces and toppings). Most people follow a similar PBCP (peanut butter consumption pattern!) through their lives. They eat it as kids and teenagers...quit in their 20's...resume eating it again when they have kids...quit again when the kids have moved out...start eating it again when they're elderly because it's an excellent and cheap source of protein.

Source: http://www.halifax.cbc.ca/streetcents/food/pbutter.html

Quote:
Peanuts (also known as groundnuts) are not nuts at all but legumes, which have the peculiar habit of ripening underneath the earth. Peanuts are native to South America but are grown today in many countries with warm climates, such as India, China, West Africa, the USA and Australia.

The grinding of peanuts into an edible paste goes back 1,000 years to South America. The making of a more refined Peanut Butter began in the USA just over 100 years ago.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:26 am
Peanut butter and Fluff is my favorite, but I also like peanut butter with jelly, jam, bananas, and plain on toast.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:31 am
Celery sticks . . . fresh, cold, crisp celery sticks . . .

By the by, i like to take "natural" peanut butter, stir it thoroughly to recombine the paste and oil, and then mix it with equal quantities of butter, before spreading it thickly on toast.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:35 am
Mmm...yep, natural pb is THE best. No sugar, no emulsifiers. Now...how about cashew butter, or macadamia butter? <drools>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:37 am
Never had macadamia butter . . . seems like a palid candidate for the honor, however. Cashew butter is excellent, but hard to find around my house (i'm too lazy to drive into Columbus just for a jar of cashew butter).

There's a company in Columbus (Grandview, actually) which makes great natural nut products, and i buy their peanut butter. If i felt like making the effort, they have a "factory store" on Goodale Boulevard just in the south end of Grandview, where you can buy their product by the tub.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:55 am
Macadamia butter is great, but really pricey. It's actually cheaper for me to just buy bulk macadamias and grind them up myself, with a little veg oil and salt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:56 am
no, lots of salt, not a little . . . another guilty secret, i often salt my peanut butter, because the producers don't add enough to keep my blood pressure properly elevated . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:56 am
I forgot about celery sticks. Yummy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:57 am
I just use enough to bring out the flavours. I don't measure.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:52 pm
More often then not, peanut butter was one of our only sources of protein when I was growing up. We got used to liking it with a lot of unusual combinations.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:46 pm
I tell you, dogs like to lick peanut butter.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:51 pm
My favorite way to eat peanut butter is in thai curry.
Yummy.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 08:44 am
I finally found the thread Husker suggested...but, now he's gone for a while...oh, well...I never did have good timing!

Onto the subject at hand:

Peanut butter simply licked off a spoon or a finger;

Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich - yes!;

Peanut butter and bacon sandwich, really Cav, try it - yum!;

Peanut butter on celery - crunch!

As to candy: Reese's takes a great idea and adds horrific chemicals which spoil the bar: dip your hunk of chocolate into peanut butter - heaven!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 08:47 am
Suzette offered this...

Quote:
Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich - yes!;

Finally! Another peanut butter and mayonnaise lover. You're ok in my book, Suzette.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 09:11 am
Likewise, I'm sure, Gus. You remember sweeping me off my feet when I was just a newbie, doncha? http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=bc9e4bec5b4a9205c8c1a880d84cf437

So, let's have peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches with lottsa other goodies at a time&place-to-be-determined picnic! :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 11:12 am
Peanut butter warmed on a flour tortilla is pretty tasty.

Peanut butter with chocolate chips is too.

Anybody here like peanut butter cup ice cream? (chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirled in)
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
grilled peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwiches.....mmm....mmm.....good, like campbell's!
0 Replies