Actors, not Movie Stars

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:42 pm
There are some actors whose faces look familiar. You know that you saw them before but you can't quite place them. If you are watching television or at the movies with a friend or sweetheart, you lean over and ask, "Why does s/he look familiar?" One of you might remember a previous role but neither of you remembers the name.

They are actors, not movie stars. They do not appear in ridiculous clothes on the red carpet and their names do not decorate supermarket check-outs.

Eventually, you start to remember their work. Generally, these people have something about them that defies remembrance. You wait for the credits and then the name hits you. You remember one, two or more roles they played that you loved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,544 • Replies: 11
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
One such actor is Richard Briers, now 76. Briers became known in England and the US in the sitcom, The Good Life, about an accountant who decides on his 40th birthday to live a self-sufficient life. A lot of A2kers know him as HEctor, the aged and broke duke from Monarch of the Glen.

Briers appeared in many of Kenneth Branagh's films. I've watched him in several roles. After knowing him as a gifted comedian, it's been great to see him in dramatic roles and to see his range.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
Christopher Walken!
plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
@boomerang,
Would others consider him a movie star or is he just too off beat?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:34 am
Plainold, This thread contains the names of a lot of those actors. Amazing talent. Names not well known.

http://able2know.org/topic/93017-1
plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:24 am
@Roberta,
Thanks, so much! I will be back later today to read it through. I looked at the first page because I have to leave for work in a few. Noticed that someone mentioned Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride. That movie is on our family's list of long time favs that we watch again and again. Magic Max is a great character. The book The Princess Bride by (I think) William Goldman is fun as well.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:40 am
@Roberta,
great thread Roberta. I miss LW
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
Plainold, Sorry if my link stopped your momentum.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:30 pm
Here's a movie with two great actors...not movie stars.
Netflix it; it's worth it
Elliot Gould and Sterling Hayden
plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:34 pm
@panzade,
Remember when every woman seemed to have an Eliot Gould poster in her apartment?
panzade

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@plainoldme,
No. My girls had Alain Delon posters.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:36 pm
Just watched Sam Shepherd play the Ghost in a modern dress version of Hamlet made in 2000. he was terrific. In one scene, Shepherd, as the Ghost, grabbed Ethan Hawke, as Hamlet, and held him. It was very effective.
0 Replies