kev

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:11 pm
Gene Anthony Ray "Leroy" (I'm gonna live forever) in Fame, sadly didn't live forever, only to 41 in fact, died this week of a stroke.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 29,946 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fealola

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:18 pm
Wasn't he living on the streets somewhere in Europe?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:21 pm
Apparently he died in Manhattan.

From The New York Times:

Gene Anthony Ray, who starred as Leroy, a street-smart urban teenager, in the 1980 movie "Fame" and the later television series, died on Friday in Manhattan. He was 41.

The cause was complications of a stroke he had in June, and he was also H.I.V. positive, said Jean E. Ray, his mother.

Mr. Ray was a natural fit when he was cast as Leroy in the film, which won Academy Awards for best song and original score. Like his character in the film, Mr. Ray had never had professional dance training but had a raw talent that dazzled choreographers.

The actors who performed in the movie and in the television series "Fame" portrayed students at New York's High School of the Performing Arts, which Mr. Ray attended for a year before being kicked out. "It was too disciplined for this wild child of mine," Mrs. Ray said.

His journey into the spotlight began at Julia Richmond High School. He performed in a dance class there and later auditioned for Louis Falco, the choreographer for the film "Fame." He skipped school the day of the first tryout, and "Leroy Johnson was born," Mrs. Ray said.

Mr. Ray also played Leroy in the NBC television series "Fame," which made its debut in 1982. It was canceled by NBC because of poor ratings but was later picked up by MGM Television, which distributed it in syndication from 1983 to 1987.

Born on May 24, 1962, in Harlem, Mr. Ray lived on on West 153rd Street. After he gained stardom for his roles in "Fame," Mr. Ray left school to pursue his career.

In 1982 he toured Britain, to perform with other "Fame" cast members in 10 concerts. "The Kids From Fame," a television special about the tour, was broadcast in the United States a year later. His other film credits include "Out of Sync" (1995), which was directed by his "Fame" co-star Debbie Allen, and "Eddie" (1996), which starred Whoopi Goldberg.

According to Selma Rubin, who managed Mr. Ray for 24 years, his last video project is a one-hour BBC "Fame" reunion documentary, "Fame Remember My Name," which was taped in Los Angeles in April 2003 but has not yet been shown.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:40 pm
I kinda liked his character on "Fame".

I guess I'm always drawn to characters whose drive to succeed or excel kind of drives them into themselves(Leroy, Dr. Benton, etc)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:42 pm
Dr. Benton is soooo. what... intense, serious.
0 Replies

whatagrl

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:05 am
Red Light

I love the "red light" audition scene in Fame. The character "leroy" is so so exciting in that scene... the dance. The whole scene is moving. I am sorry to hear he has passed. I was just trying to find the "official" name of the song to the Leroy character "auditioned", in the movie. Is it "Red Light"? Who is the artist.

[email protected]
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:39 am
whatagirl, try here: http://search.able2know.com/Music/Lyrics/Various/Show_Tunes_and_Movie_Soundtracks/Fame/index.html
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:59 am
What a shame! He was quite beautiful in the movie, delicious even, but it always kind of tickled me that they tried to pass off this young man who was clearly gay, as a straight character.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:00 am
Heh heh, true eoe. He was magnetic though, even through the eye of a straight guy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:04 am
A body to live for.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:19 am
I bought the fame soundtrack(from the series) a few months back on CD and I still prance around my room to the songs.They are magnificent even 20 years on.
0 Replies