I just started bowling a curve but I'm still having some problems?

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:59 pm
Okay so I just discovered I could bowl a curve last time I went bowling with my mom and dad. I bowl a curve where I don't put my thumb in the thumb hole. When I throw the ball I basically just twist my wrist. First of all, I'd like to point out that i start out with my right foot on the middle dot. Okay so usually what happens is the ball starts going out diagonally across the lane towards the right side of the lane. Then it starts to curve, and of course goes to the left. Now the problem there is that most of the time it curves too much and goes far past the brooklyn, resulting in to strike Sad. How can I fix that? My dad said that I need to throw it down the lane faster, but i find that very difficult when im not gripping the ball in the thumb hole, because if i go faster i'm going to drop the ball. Also what sometimes happens it sometimes it doesn't go diagonally down the lane, it goes straight, and curves right into the gutter. My dad says this is because i'm trying too hard and I just need to let it flow naturally, but this is also hard for me because I want to get this right and I feel like I need to try my hardest. So does anyone have any solutions to both these problems so that i land in the pocket almost every time? I'm 13 years old if that means anything

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:46 pm
@Fail bowler,
Try putting your thumb back in the hole, and when you start your delivery be sure your thumb is aligned with the seam on your pants. Your hand is palm up when you release the ball. If you are right handed, aim a bit to the left, as the curve will be to the right.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
@Fail bowler,
Take a 1/2 step to the left.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:05 pm
First of all, you should be using a 12 pound or less ball, unless you are an exceptionally strong 13 year old.
I agree that you should put your thumb in the hole - if you have a ball drilled just for you, you will be able to control the ball, but still be able to slip it out easily at the moment of release. Are you using a house ball, or your own?
Take your time. I've found that trying too hard is a problem - like you already found out - but rushing your approach is also a killer.
About that release. All due respect to roger, but your hand should be extended just like you were going to shake hands on release - not palm up, but palm facing left.
You should envision throwing a nerf football underhanded. To get the perfect rotation, you hand starts out facing palm forward when you bring the ball back, gripping the ball, then as you bring it forward and release the ball, your hand should rotate just enough so that when the ball comes out, you should be extending your hand just as if you were going to shake hands.
I think your start position with your feet is fine, but you should try to release the ball in the same way over the same arrow every time.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies