Can Any Two Things Be Identical???

mark noble

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:20 pm
@parados,
Hi Parados,
Hope this thread is more up your street.
I've just scanned back and could only find one post of yours, that stated that you couldn't answer my question without understanding my definition of "identical".

Sorry if I overlooked another post, but I'm moving about a lot.

My definition of identical is "Identical - agreeing in every conceivable way".
Best wishes.
Mark...
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:26 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

I'm reading this book by John Perry. He points out that if Heraclitus bought an ox and then somebody came and took the ox, noting that it's not the same one he bought, Heraclitus might have piped down about the river.

Somehow the ox he bought and the one he had a few days later are identical. For practical purposes at least.

All Oxes are identical, which does not mean the Ox he bought and the Ox he lost were the same Ox.. It is certain that Heraclitus was no Ox, though John Perry may be... He has no subtle touch...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:31 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
The second meaning of "identical" is qualitatively identical. X and Y are qualitatively identical if and only if X and Y have exactly the same properties. That is, every property of X is a property of Y, and every property of Y is a property of X. In this sense of "identical", qualitatively identical, it is possible for two things to be identical.

If X and Y have exactly the same properties, how can they be two things rather than one? In other words, how can they be qualitatively identical without being numerically identical?
No line is the same length as any other, and yet, all are identical as lines... Identity is a point of equality that makes all other differences understandable....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Arjuna wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

The fact that living organisms maintain an identity while constantly changing is a real conundrum isn't it? Are you the same person you were as a child? No. Are you a different person? Not really.
Yea, it's a doozy. Personal identity. Isn't all identity, though? If you didn't know good and well that the river is an unchanging entity, you wouldn't be able to make sense of Heraclitus' insight... "the same river."

But that is not true. The river is constantly changing in many different ways, but it remains the same river. And that is the puzzle. How it remains the same river even though it is constantly changing.

The river does not remain the same river any more than we remain the same people... The river remains A river.. We can compare the river of today with the river of yesterday because of its conserved quality as a river..... A river is a river... A is A...
ACB

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 06:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
After all, why could there not (to use Leibniz's example) be two (numerically two) different leaves which happened to have the very same properties?

Because if there were two, they would have to be in different positions at any particular moment. For example, they may be lying side by side at time T. Then leaf 1 would have the property of being on the left (from my point of view) at that moment, and not on the right. Leaf 2 would have the property of being on the right and not on the left. Therefore, they would have different properties.
ACB

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 07:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
It is no longer bread and wine (although it has all the accidental properties of bread and wine) but after the Mass has been performed, the substances are transubstantiated into the body and blood of God).

What is the "it" that is no longer bread and wine? What is the thing that retains the accidental properties of bread and wine through the change?

What makes the whole process one single event, rather than two discrete events, namely (1) the disappearance of the (real) bread and wine, and (2) the acquisition of (additional?) accidental bread-and-wine properties by the body and blood of God?

It all seems a bit conceptually muddled to me. I have always found the ancient idea of "substance" rather obscure.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:07 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Arjuna wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

The fact that living organisms maintain an identity while constantly changing is a real conundrum isn't it? Are you the same person you were as a child? No. Are you a different person? Not really.
Yea, it's a doozy. Personal identity. Isn't all identity, though? If you didn't know good and well that the river is an unchanging entity, you wouldn't be able to make sense of Heraclitus' insight... "the same river."

But that is not true. The river is constantly changing in many different ways, but it remains the same river. And that is the puzzle. How it remains the same river even though it is constantly changing.

The river does not remain the same river any more than we remain the same people... The river remains A river.. We can compare the river of today with the river of yesterday because of its conserved quality as a river..... A river is a river... A is A...

Well, of course, the river remains a river. Who would deny that? But that is not the issue. The issue is whether even when the river changes, it is the very same river after the change as before the change. Everything is what it is, of course. But that is a trivial tautology no one would deny. But that does not mean that whatever it is always is the very same thing even after there are changes. And the question is this: supposing (as we do suppose) that it is the same thing after changing as it was before changing, since there were changes, what is it that remains the same? Sure, I am the very same person I was when I was an infant. But, manifestly, great changes have occurred to me since I was an infant. So, what about me is the same now as it was when I was an infant? Simply repeating that I am the same does not answer that question. Is is assumed by that questions.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:19 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
After all, why could there not (to use Leibniz's example) be two (numerically two) different leaves which happened to have the very same properties?

Because if there were two, they would have to be in different positions at any particular moment. For example, they may be lying side by side at time T. Then leaf 1 would have the property of being on the left (from my point of view) at that moment, and not on the right. Leaf 2 would have the property of being on the right and not on the left. Therefore, they would have different properties.

Right. And that assumes that spatial location is a property (as well as temporal location). But that is exactly the assumption that was questioned by Leibniz (see his correspondence with Samuel Clark who was Newton's secretary. Newton held the "empty bucket theory of space and time" better known as absolute space and time). Leibniz held that space and time were relational properties. And, apparently, Leibniz has won out, since that is the view of modern physics too. Think of the property of being named. Now being named "X" is a property of something, isn't it? But would you seriously argue that because there were two different names, that there must be two different things named? Could not just one thing have the property of being named "X" and also being named "Y". Of course. So the fact that putatively two things have different properties does not guarantee that there really are two different things.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:24 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
It is no longer bread and wine (although it has all the accidental properties of bread and wine) but after the Mass has been performed, the substances are transubstantiated into the body and blood of God).

What is the "it" that is no longer bread and wine? What is the thing that retains the accidental properties of bread and wine through the change?

What makes the whole process one single event, rather than two discrete events, namely (1) the disappearance of the (real) bread and wine, and (2) the acquisition of (additional?) accidental bread-and-wine properties by the body and blood of God?

It all seems a bit conceptually muddled to me. I have always found the ancient idea of "substance" rather obscure.

The "it" is, of course, the substance. What is at issue are the properties of that substance. The Aristotelian idea (which is accepted by the Church via Aquinas) is that whereas the accidental properties of the substance remain the same (the bread looks like bread, tastes like bread, etc. and the same goes for the wine) it is the essential properties that have changed. It is no longer bread; it is no longer wine. This depends, as I just said, on the distinction between accident and essence, which you are questioning.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:33 am
@mark noble,
Well then you have just defined identical so nothing can be identical since I can conceive of something different about everything.

This thread is nothing but a thread in masturbation and I mean it is identical to that.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:11 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

But would you seriously argue that because there were two different names, that there must be two different things named?
Yea, so a classical definition of identity is "a reflexive relation that confers subsitutivity." Which sounds like identity is nothing but noticing that a thing has more than one name?

Smith offers Jones $10 for a clay statue of George Washington. Jones delivers a statue of Warren Harding he has since molded from the same clay and holds out his hand for the $10. Smith says: that's not the statue I bought. Jones says it's the same piece of clay. (from John Perry's book on identity)

In this case do "this statue" and "this piece of clay" refer to the same object? Not to Smith. So "statue" and "piece of clay" aren't identical. Statue is a name for a "stage" of the clay. So the statue is an object.... this particular object is a stage or phase?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Arjuna wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

Well, of course, the river remains a river. Who would deny that? But that is not the issue. The issue is whether even when the river changes, it is the very same river after the change as before the change. Everything is what it is, of course. But that is a trivial tautology no one would deny. But that does not mean that whatever it is always is the very same thing even after there are changes. And the question is this: supposing (as we do suppose) that it is the same thing after changing as it was before changing, since there were changes, what is it that remains the same? Sure, I am the very same person I was when I was an infant. But, manifestly, great changes have occurred to me since I was an infant. So, what about me is the same now as it was when I was an infant? Simply repeating that I am the same does not answer that question. Is is assumed by that questions.

Well Kennethamy, Identity is that simple fact, whether when we are talking of an example of any form whether the form is changed, or the example is changed by any operation performed upon it... People change and remain people, and more than that, the concept of people remains... Rivers change, but the identity of River does not change, and so long as the river does not change into something other than, it remains a river... Forms/concepts do change over time; but in the short term they are stabile... For the sake of reason, and logic, change must be seen a occuring to the individual example of the form....

If everything were variable, forms as well as specific examples then no judgement could be made as to the degree of difference, before and after... We judge things compared to the form... We ask: Is a three legged dog still a dog??? Is a spotted dog still a dog??? The same thing is true of physics, where concepts reflect what qualities are conserved, like volume, or mass, or motion... Specific gravity is a certain relationship of weight to volume that is conserved... When some element is measured against its specific gravity, it is not the proven standard that is changed, but the element that is recognized as alloyed... That is Identity, which is not some general equality... Isn't it recognized that individual examples always vary from the concept/ideal???
Arjuna

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:30 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Isn't it recognized that individual examples always vary from the concept/ideal???
Exactly. And so to Mark's second question: no "individual example" can be perfect. Perfection is equivalence to the ideal.

There are those who have tried to reason through the whole thing without using metaphysics. It kind of turns my brain inside-out, but I'm still reading it because it's linked to something else I want to understand.
Soul Brother

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Leibniz had two principles:

1. The indiscernability of identicals.
2. The identity of indiscernibles.

The first says that if (putatively) two things have the very same properties, then they are not two things, but really one (and the same thing). The second is the converse of the first. It says that no two things can have the very same properties.

But how does a photon in the state 0 + 1 differ from from another photon in the state 0 + 1 ? Not only can you not complain that there exists a difference between two individual photons, but you cannot even complain that that they differ in regards to they're state. So what what exactly do you mean by the first "principal" being true?

What in the world could drive a person to conclude upon such ridiculousness such as these "principles"? Yet more puzzling, what could possibly cause you to presume any truth from such nonsense?

It has recently been mention here of a philosopher that said "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should remain silent". It sounds as though Leibniz should have taken note, maybe he was not yet present.
Soul Brother

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

But that is not true. How does a changing river remain the same river? Keeping in mind that spatial location is not an attribute of the river, in which way exactly does a changing river remain the same river?

kennethamy wrote:
Sure, I am the very same person I was when I was an infant. But, manifestly, great changes have occurred to me since I was an infant. So, what about me is the same now as it was when I was an infant? Simply repeating that I am the same does not answer that question. Is is assumed by that questions.

What about you is the same now as it was when you where an infant? many things, is it not obvious? Remember you are only qualitatively different now than from the time you were an infant. You are not a river but a human being, as such there are many things that remain. For example, although every single cell in your body has been replaced countless of times, the arrangement of information that make up your genetic structure is exactly the same now as it was when you where a fetus and will remain so until the day you die, as such is also the case with your finger prints.
Soul Brother

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:48 am
@kennethamy,
This is only a correction to my mistake of post #4,187,030. Since I am not allowed to edit.

kennethamy wrote:

Leibniz had two principles:

1. The indiscernability of identicals.
2. The identity of indiscernibles.

The first says that if (putatively) two things have the very same properties, then they are not two things, but really one (and the same thing). The second is the converse of the first. It says that no two things can have the very same properties.

But how does a photon in the state 0 + 1 differ from from another photon in the state 0 + 1 ? Not only can you not complain that there exists a difference between two individual photons, but you cannot even complain that that they differ in regards to they're state. So what what exactly do you mean by the first "principal" being true?

What in the world could drive a person to conclude upon such ridiculousness such as these "principles"? Yet more puzzling, what could possibly cause you to presume any truth from such nonsense?

It has recently been mention here of a philosopher that said "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should remain silent". It sounds as though Leibniz should have taken note, maybe he was not yet present.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:49 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

But that is not true. How does a changing river remain the same river? Keeping in mind that spatial location is not an attribute of the river, in which way exactly does a changing river remain the same river?

kennethamy wrote:
Sure, I am the very same person I was when I was an infant. But, manifestly, great changes have occurred to me since I was an infant. So, what about me is the same now as it was when I was an infant? Simply repeating that I am the same does not answer that question. Is is assumed by that questions.

What about you is the same now as it was when you where an infant? many things, is it not obvious? Remember you are only qualitatively different now than from the time you were an infant. You are not a river but a human being, as such there are many things that remain. For example, although every single cell in your body has been replaced countless of times, the arrangement of information that make up your genetic structure is exactly the same now as it was when you where a fetus and will remain so until the day you die, as such is also the case with your finger prints.

The river after change is spatio-temporally continuous with the river before change; and the infant is spatio-temporally continuous with the adult. Spatio-temporal continuity is certainly a necessary condition of identity, and may even be a sufficient condition of identity (and persistence through change).
mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna,
Thank you for joining in, by the way!

Would it also be correct to say: Every "individual example" can be perfect. Perfection is the equivalence to the ideal?

Have a brilliant day.
mark...
kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:12 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Arjuna,
Thank you for joining in, by the way!

Would it also be correct to say: Every "individual example" can be perfect. Perfection is the equivalence to the ideal?

Have a brilliant day.
mark...

Every individual example of what can be perfect? I imagine there are lots of individual examples of mongooses none of which is the perfect mongoose (whatever the perfect mongoose might be).
mark noble

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:22 am
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken,
But is it not the perfect representation of the mongoose that is "it" said mongoose?

Kind regards to you Ken.
Mark...