Bravo for Abby Sunderland's Parents

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:41 pm
Quote:
Responding to questions from reporters on whether Abby was too young to take such a voyage, her father defended her skill.

"What this is about is a young lady who has a great skill on the ocean and a passion for bluewater sailing. She's a remarkable young lady and has done a remarkable job on 'Wild Eyes; sailing it over half way around the world," he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/06/12/teen.sailor/index.html?hpt=T1

I love parents who make a stand against the popular belief that young people should be treated like babies until they are well into their twenties. This coddling is bad for raising well adjusted and competent adults. I myself made a two week rail journey by myself between Chicago/San Diego/San Francisco when I was 14, and made several other trips either by myself or with friends before I got out of High School. Challenge and exploration is required for growing up, and our societal Peter Pan tendencies need to go away so that young people can do it.

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I myself made a two week rail journey by myself between Chicago/San Diego/San Francisco when I was 14

seems to me that you relied on public transportation .
the rescue effort must have cost a pretty penny - i bet the parents don't have to foot the bill .
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:45 pm
@hamburgboy,
none if any, and I dont think her age had anything to do with the problem. Had she been any younger, or less trained, I would have a problem. also the route matters, some areas have too may pirates to make a young woman alone on the water a good idea. But this looks ok to me.
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
none if any

are you saying there was no cost to the rescue effort ?
some fairy godmother paid for it ?

i bet a 14 year old is going to try it soon .
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:36 pm
@hamburgboy,
I am saying that almost everyone has already said that they will not be sending a bill to the family........ a few are unknown what they plan to do.
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
will not be sending a bill to the family

no need for me to add anything , i believe .
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:51 pm
@hamburgboy,
I dont know anything about sailing other than what I see on "the deadliest catch" or heard at some point or another out of William Buckley, but my impression is that it is a point of honor amongst sailors that you help out those in need on the water, and never send a bill.
Joeblow

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:51 pm
@hamburgboy,
No you're right, no need to say anything else. Point taken.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/teen-solo-sailor-feared-lost/story-e6frf7lf-1225878265069

Quote:
Abby left Los Angeles on January 23 in the hope of becoming the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo, attempting to better Australian Jessica Watson.

But she came to grief when her mast snapped and yacht rolled in atrocious weather conditions on Thursday.
She was first spotted by rescuers late Friday in a chartered Qantas Airbus after a 12-hour search that had already cost Australian taxpayers more than $200,000.

And the bill to save the teenager was mounting last night as the Australian Defence Force deployed two AP-3C Orion Maritime Patrol Aircraft to the Cocos Islands in the Indian Ocean to assist in rescue efforts.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority chief executive Mick Kinley did not say how much the rescue mission would cost but said it would not be seeking compensation for the search, which initially fell just outside of Australia's search and rescue region.

``That's the way the system runs,'' Mr Kinley said. ``It's our obligation to do this and we'll fulfill those obligations as Australia does.''
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for that data, Butrflynet.

I have mixed feelings re this adventure of hers. My primary one is along the lines of 'that spoiled brat'.. but secondarily, I have known a few explorers, one a major early days deep sea diver who helped invent major diving equipment, and one a very serious mountain climber and explorer.. and he started young. And I have ordinary everyday friends who have done a lot of solo sailing, usually racing.

So, what bothers me? I think it's the need to be first (or youngest) and famous. Admittedly, that is her family environment.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
are you trying to make a point?

Quote:
June 26 (Reuters) - The cost of searching for missing adventurer Steve Fossett -- estimated at $1.6 million -- has strained the Nevada National Guard's training budget as one of its units prepares to deploy overseas, according to a state audit.

The audit provided to Reuters on Thursday by Gov. Jim Gibbons' office estimates the air search for Fossett has cost more than $1.6 million.

Approximately $419,000 of Nevada's cost for the search fell on the state National Guard, which deployed helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft for roughly two weeks during the search.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN26292352

Fossett was super experienced and look what happened....I have no trouble believing that a 16 year old girl was ready for this task. 16 years olds who have been raised right and who have good genes can do amazing things,
Irishk

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
I'm glad all turned out well and she's ok. Whew. Her parents must have had a frantic couple of days.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
are you trying to make a point?

No, I was reinforcing yours in the post I responded to.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh....in that case thank you....and I am sorry for assuming that you were doing otherwise...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:48 am
@ossobuco,
She had already failed to make the record, but she wanted to make the trip to complete the challenge. I'm of two minds. Like Hawk, I think that 16 is plenty old to make the trip if the skill set is there. On the other side, our society places too much emphasis on the fame side. Once you announce you are going to be the youngest to do something, the press ratchets up the pressure. If the weather forecast was not good, why did she continue? Overconfidence? Pressure to meet others expectations? Ignorance? I'd much rather these young adults striving to circumnavigate the globe or climb high mountains be met by a small family gathering to celebrate their accomplishments than a press conference.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:03 am
One more thought since the title was concerning Abby's parents. Someone somewhere along the way tipped off the press that this young woman was going to undertake this voyage. It is one thing to encourage your child to explore her dreams, another to turn her into a media spectacle. If Abby's parents incited the media circus, then I have no admiration for them at all.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Responding to questions from reporters on whether Abby was too young to take such a voyage, her father defended her skill.

"What this is about is a young lady who has a great skill on the ocean and a passion for bluewater sailing. She's a remarkable young lady and has done a remarkable job on 'Wild Eyes; sailing it over half way around the world," he said.
hawkeye10 wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/06/12/teen.sailor/index.html?hpt=T1

I love parents who make a stand against the popular belief that young people should be treated like babies until they are well into their twenties. This coddling is bad for raising well adjusted and competent adults. I myself made a two week rail journey by myself between Chicago/San Diego/San Francisco when I was 14, and made several other trips either by myself or with friends before I got out of High School. Challenge and exploration is required for growing up, and our societal Peter Pan tendencies need to go away so that young people can do it.
SO STIPULATED. I did not travel much when I was 14,
but I took several trips from Phoenix, Arizona to L. A. n back
when I was 11 by cabs and busses. Interesting. Sometimes adventurous.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:17 am

Abby needed a stronger mast.

Maybe the shipwright is liable.
( boatwright ?)

David
Irishk

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I got my driver's license at 16 and I remember driving away from the house for the first time...dad was amused; mom was having a nervous breakdown lol.

No way they'd have let me sail alone at that age...Abby's mom says Abby won't be doing it again. We'll see.

I think I read somewhere that a 13 year-old will be attempting to claim the title of being the youngest to reach the summit of Mt. Everest (or maybe he already has). Brave kids.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I got my driver's license at 16 and I remember driving away from the house for the first time...dad was amused; mom was having a nervous breakdown lol.

No way they'd have let me sail alone at that age...Abby's mom says Abby won't be doing it again. We'll see.

I think I read somewhere that a 13 year-old will be attempting to claim the title of being the youngest to reach the summit of Mt. Everest (or maybe he already has). Brave kids.

It takes a lot more courage
and competence to sail a boat around the world at age 16 (or any age)
than it did for me to sit in a bus at age 11.

David
0 Replies