humankind

Heeven

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:55 am
Dental work? I had all my teef removed so I could get rid of the jowls, now ya tell me I need 'em back? Are you people never happy?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:03 am
Frank- Do you find ambiguity disconcerting? WHAT am I saying??? Laughing
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:09 am
Justin appears to be bothered by those he entitles 'normal, 'proper', 'correct' or 'society'. He has not been happy with others behaviors or actions towards him and apparently blames them for making him feel less than they.

Little does he know that there is no such thing as 'normal'. Thankfully there is plenty of individuality out there, otherwise it would be a very boring world we live in. What Justin needs to learn is to live life by his terms and worry less about others. Happiness is within, not overanalyzing why others do as they do. What a complete waste of time that is. If we were to jump all over others because we disagree with every little thing they do or say, then how is it we are supposedly living ours? I say focus less on others and more on what matters to you.

It's not other people who make you miserable, it's YOU - who allows them to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:51 am
Your rant here is predicated upon an assumption which Heeven has pointed out, and it is rather a childish and self-serving one. By assuming that strangers whom you address are likely to be "normal," and to constitute "society," you gratify your own sense of being unique. You are not unique in that regard. Every generation produces scads of young men and women who think themselves outsiders, and revel in a resentful and defiant nonconformism. But it is a sham. There are millions on the planet at this moment who affect the same stance of being the outsider.

Get over it, it is likely that, absent criminal behavior on your part, "society" doesn't give a damn about you, and those things which you think make you an outsider. You need to get past this adolescent attitude, because you are wasting your time fretting over what is essentially a mental condition of intelligent teenagers. Go live life, and society be damned. You are not unique for being an "outsider," you are unique for simply being you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 02:00 pm
Well put, setanta.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:31 pm
Ahh, yes, the "I'm unique!" rant..... same old...
0 Replies

Justin Schaller

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:51 pm
thanks guys =)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:27 am
I was once the world's shyest person and looked on a lot of other people as - I guess - normals.... and I developed various in my mind resentments. I don't know what brought me out of it, whether it was having to work after school, and thereby being thrust into a kind of community that I was automatically part of, or
from reading, where I got more information about how other people think.

Eventually I got over thinking of everyone else as other.

Anyway, to reiterate what I think Wilso said,
don't assume we's all 'normal' here. Or anywhere else.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:41 am
It's all about self-esteem and confidence. Some shy people grow out of it and some do not. Hey, it takes all kinds to make up this world of "those guys" and "us guys." How one fits into any societal group always depends on one's ability to give and take. No secret there. Just remember, it's always a two way street.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:34 am
I would venture to guess that a large percentage of a2k people have felt alienated in one way or other in the young part of their lives, but outgrew it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:40 am
edgar, So true. I was shy about talking to girls. That hasn't been a problem for most of my adult life. Wink
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:25 pm
I've always been alienated. I don't mind at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:35 pm
rufio, If you don't mind, that's all that matters isn't it?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:44 pm
To me it is. I'm not arrogant enough to think that people would be missing out on hearing what I had to say, since most people willfully misunderstand me anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:07 pm
Those wretches ! ! !
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:39 pm
Funny, I know exactly what he's saying. Hmmmm.....
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:42 am
justin; i would recommend two things:

first a book "The Outsider" by Colin Wilson
gives one a very sound understanding of the importance of individuality.

and second a visit to the thread:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14696
on this forum.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 06:44 am
Heeven hits the mark

Justin Schaller argues that "there is no us" specifically, but there is an equally weighted argument that "we" are the "us" in our various personas. Such is the nature of humanity... and any polarization in favour of a particular idea comes with its subjective value judgement and its dissenters. "Morality" is a matter of expediency and empathy and both of these a relative and in a state of flux.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:43 pm
Not just a large portion! Just about everyone has, at some point in their lives, felt completely left out.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:47 pm
What I find interesting is how he thinks that the accepted group are horrible people who are destroying the world. That is completely wrong! Americans are the ones destroying the world.

And if you believe for one second that class distinction is horrible in the states (or australia), try moving to India...
0 Replies