No longer philosophyforum.com

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:50 am
Is it just me, or does it feels that there is no way we could do philosophy on this website anymore?

No more blogs, no more serious discussions, it's just impossible now.

Sigh.

We have to find another home.

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:52 am
@platorepublic,
Or, you could give it a chance, make topics and see where they lead you.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:53 am
@platorepublic,
Give it a chance man, things are going to change (for one, blogs are coming) and I think you've got the members misread if you think there is going to be a dearth of "serious" discussion.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:57 am
It's not philosophyforum.com; it could be better, it could be worse, only time can tell.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:03 am
@platorepublic,
Change is often difficult to deal with when you are used to thinking in but 3 dimensions. I often had problems with "New formats " and "forum changes". However, adding time to the mix and Ive seen everyone of them work nicely.

And, if you dont like it among us (Most of us have had their shots), you can first ignore everyone else except your own claque.Then, if that doesnt work, you can move on, but secure with the knowledge that you honestly tried.

I for one, am pleased to have some folks who are interested in dissecting the abstract issues .Many of us here like to discuss quantum theory like it was a an instruction sheet to install kitchen cabinets.Id like to hear a melange of "what ifs and what of it".
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:12 am
@platorepublic,
We think that we get some pretty good discussions going around here.....could you articulate what the problem is?

For the record I think Robert is nuts for thinking that he can buy forums and by feeding them to a2k make a2k better. I also think that the programing here is not half as good as he seems to think it is and is not much of a factor in why a2k is great. What A2k has is a lot of smart people from a lot of different backgrounds. We also have a culture of telling it like it is, and have established a2k as a free speech zone.

I am sorry that your old world got vaporized. I hope you find something here worth sticking around for.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:17 am
@hawkeye10,
You sure make the software out to be powerful ("Gestapo" even) when it comes to blaming it for your unpopularity, but I do agree that it's the people that make the community and that here we have enough good folk around here to make up for a hawkeye here and there.
0 Replies

platorepublic

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:02 am
@farmerman,
But you see - this is no longer a forum dedicated to just philosophy. The premise is changed.
jgweed

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:44 am
While this forum is not dedicated to philosophy (even Philforum was only partly so), there is no reason one cannot "do philosophy" or hold what one would want to call properly philosophical discussions here. There remains the core of people from Pf and I suspect this group of people primarily interested in philosophical discourse may be enlarged by many Members of the a2k community who want intellectual discussions but have not found a place for it.
Just because philosophy is a rigourous intellectual endeavor doesn't preclude Others without an academic background from participating (they may have one from related areas, or may have read independently), or from learning to understand problems from a philosophical horizon.
I expect that, given some experience with the forum software, those interested in "doing philosophy" will be able to carry on exclusive discussions should they wish to.

0 Replies

cluckk

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:14 am
Did anyone think of discussing considered changes with users? It would have been nice to have the new site running along side the old site for awhile to try it out and get familiar. Instead it's just one day on philosophyforum and the next something inferior without any warning. And yes, since you say blogs are coming, it is inferior and not just different.

I'm all for change and will give it a chance, but right now am a bit discouraged.

Added:
It looks like there was warning, but I just didn't find it.
davidm

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:19 am
@platorepublic,
It looks like there is no quote function even? At least I can't find it.

*sigh*

You have no idea, as a recent newcomer to Philosophyforum, how wonderful the place seemed, everything from the design to the ingenious navigation to the quality of the discussions. Well, hopefully things will improve here over time, as promised, but right now ... *shrug* I can honestly say nothing about this place, in its current configuration, makes me want to come here.

For those like platorepublic who feel they need a new home, I highly recommend The Galilean Library, which is quite small in terms of membership but utterly devoted to serious philosophical discussion and other sorts of intellectual discussions as well. In addition it has blogs, private forums, albums, the whole nine yards as well as an extensive selection of manuscripts generated by members and a series of interviews with philosophers and scholars. (members are encouraged to submit their own manuscripts.) We've already got some of the members of the currently disabled private Create Writers social group over there (it has a private creative writing forum). Check it out; highly recommended. I've been a member there for five years, and have served as admin/mod.

I'm sure the people now in charge of this place mean well and probably will do very good work as the thing develops. But just frankly speaking, this is quite a come down at the moment.
Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:37 am
Whomever was asking about quoting; Yea, unless there's a better way, I've found that if highlite and copy the text you want to quote, using the tags (with that quoted text pasted in between) works. Its clunky and doesn't refer you back to the original post - but it's something.

Quote:
Did anyone think of discussing considered changes with users? It would have been nice to have the new site running along side the old site for awhile to try it out and get familiar

The question was asked; we were told - basically - 'no I'm not going to tell you what the new site is'. The reason given for this had to do with the potential for creating duplicate logins for those names that'd get imported anyway. I can understand this concern. But essentially it means that I had no control over my writings; they were sold to a place I might not have chosen. I understand the mechanics and hold no malice, but it doesn't hit me all together well.

... let's try and keep an open mind here. My first inclination is to run - but I'm trying to give it a honest try and see if that adjustment can be made.

Cheers
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:49 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic wrote:

But you see - this is no longer a forum dedicated to just philosophy. The premise is changed.

All you have to do is click on the Philosophy forum and you're in a dedicated thread. Do you think we all like to see a bazillion philosophy, politics, latin translation, grammar, relationship, or crossword posts? No... just thumbs down on the ones you don't want to see and viola - they're off your computer.

Not saying you don't have the right to complain, you do, but you're here now and until you find another site (or this one improves for you), this is what you get so why not try to make the best of it?

I believe they're intending to work on blocking threads you don't want to see, so in time, you may not even have to thumb a topic down. They have a list of "To Do" items and I think that's on it.

You could mention to Robert what you'd like to see and find out if it's a) possible, b) in the works, or c) on his slate of things to do.

Anyway, welcome all of you - try to take the philosophical approach, eh?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:54 am
@davidm,
davidm wrote:
It looks like there is no quote function even? At least I can't find it.

*sigh*

just click quote on the post you want to reference

Ahab

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:56 am
Yea, I'm not exactly elated over this change. Least now I have a little more respect and understanding for McLuhans's 'the medium is the message'.
This format does not strike me as being at all conducive for a serious discussion of philosophical issues. Can't even look at what has already been witten in the thread without opening another window to display it. Crying or Very sad
Thanks davidm for the link to TheGalileanLibray. Any other suggestions for other sites would be appreciated.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:57 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

Whomever was asking about quoting; Yea, unless there's a better way, I've found that if highlite and copy the text you want to quote, using the tags (with that quoted text pasted in between) works. Its clunky and doesn't refer you back to the original post - but it's something.

Quote:
Did anyone think of discussing considered changes with users? It would have been nice to have the new site running along side the old site for awhile to try it out and get familiar

The question was asked; we were told - basically - 'no I'm not going to tell you what the new site is'. The reason given for this had to do with the potential for creating duplicate logins for those names that'd get imported anyway. I can understand this concern. But essentially it means that I had no control over my writings; they were sold to a place I might not have chosen. I understand the mechanics and hold no malice, but it doesn't hit me all together well.

... let's try and keep an open mind here. My first inclination is to run - but I'm trying to give it a honest try and see if that adjustment can be made.

Cheers

I just quoted your entire post and it references back to you with the @Khethil link above the quote. It's a setting in your profile to enable bbcode editor (click on your username, then My Profile at the bottom of the page, then enable bbcode editor) and the quote function will appear on every post. You can then select and delete any portion of the post you don't want to quote.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:58 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

not true, using the quote button on the post, it quotes the poster by name and references the post the quote came from by clicking on the "@username" above the quoted passage
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:58 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

You have to activate quoting in your settings page, and the link back is the quoted posters name, above the quote box (I think).
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:59 am
@djjd62,
I thought I was missing something; The only options I have for each post is "Reply" or "Report". Am I missing something here?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
Thank you!
0 Replies