I almost woke up - from life!

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 02:09 pm
I'm sorry that my English isn't so good and sorry for the lengthy post, I am looking for answers and opinions. I will try to explain my story in full detail the best I can and I will do my best to answer any questions that you have for me. Thank you, Mish.

Sitting in a hammock one morning I realized once again that life is simply just a cycle of life and death. This is theme that I find myself thinking about quite often and is nothing unusual to me. After the one thought came a stream of other thoughts that finally lead to something beyond what I can explain or recall experiencing in my whole life. The next few paragraphs are what the streams of thoughts were which lead to a paranormal event.

The first thought that came to me that morning was; what happens between the time-span of the human cycle of life and death is what people call "life" and life as we know it is a perception of a "physical" world that we call Earth. Earth is nothing more than a memory by a higher force - read on.

The next stream of thought was: we as humans take up role playing in our daily life, wearing masks on different settings. We are constantly creating "worlds" in which we play different roles - the husband, the boss, the child. We can choose to be whatever role we want to play in life and often we have multiple roles per day - creating so many worlds within ourselves.

After that, I began remembering various writings by different authors on the topics of GOD and spirituality. One of the topics I remember was based loosely on the theme that we all belong to a higher consciousness and that the universe was created by something "higher" in force. Soon after these streams of thoughts, I experienced a hallucination and I saw little streams of light coming from the cracks in the wall made from bricks.

Within that second, I realized something beyond what I've ever thought - The exact same way that we can create thoughts and memories or dream about things (these conscious-streams are manifestations of different "worlds" - because worlds are memories), something higher has created our universe in the same way. As in we are living in a conscious being which has created a memory of this universe. Here is the interesting part. As soon as I realized that when we DIE, we return to the god-like consciousness, I felt as if I was given the opportunity to awaken. I was presented with the opportunity to wake up from life, become conscious and be connected with the higher conscious.

Before I continue, I would like to hear some of your opinions on what you think about the experience I have written above. Also do you know any books which mention something along the lines of humans and life existing because of a memory created by someone/something higher in force.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,518 • Replies: 29
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:32 pm
@mishmish,
Bill Gates, former head of MicroSoft, he's non christian, I don't see any relation of success, intelligence and christianity? Infact I only see pedophiles and wars in the wake of christianity.

Wrong diets (lack of D vitamine), stress, skitzophrenia ..etc can cause hallusinations which mistakenly are taken for divine signs.
mishmish

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:43 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;158205 wrote:
Bill Gates, former head of MicroSoft, he's non christian, I don't see any relation of success, intelligence and christianity? Infact I only see pedophiles and wars in the wake of christianity.

Wrong diets (lack of D vitamine), stress, skitzophrenia ..etc can cause hallusinations which mistakenly are taken for divine signs.

I've looked into that too, but this hallucination was controllable - it was like a lucid dream. I believe that people suffering from schizophrenia cannot control their delusions. I was definitively not stressed at the time. I know why I had a hallucination - but the point is of my post is not to find why I had a hallucination, the question is whether you know of any literature on the theme that I mentioned in my story. I'm not sure what Bill Gates has got to do with anything that I've mentioned before, nor has Christianity got to do with anything that I've said previously. Non-the-less, thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;158209 wrote:
I've looked into that too, but this hallucination was controllable - it was like a lucid dream. I believe that people suffering from schizophrenia cannot control their delusions. I was definitively not stressed at the time. I know why I had a hallucination - but the point is of my post is not to find why I had a hallucination, the question is whether you know of any literature on the theme that I mentioned in my story. I'm not sure what Bill Gates has got to do with anything that I've mentioned before, nor has Christianity got to do with anything that I've said previously. Non-the-less, thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it.
There are many reasons for hallusinations, which I havn't written here, nor have a deeper knowledge of, I'm no siencetist.

mishmish;158051 wrote:
I began remembering various writings by different authors on the topics of GOD and spirituality. One of the topics I remember was based loosely on the theme that we all belong to a higher consciousness and that the universe was created by something "higher" in force. Soon after these streams of thoughts, I experienced a hallucination and I saw little streams of light coming from the cracks in the wall made from.
You can't relate to your own words, that's interesting.

..but more to answer your initial question, no sorry I don't know of any books, I don't read books at all.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:13 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;158051 wrote:
I'm sorry that my English isn't so good and sorry for the lengthy post, I am looking for answers and opinions. I will try to explain my story in full detail the best I can and I will do my best to answer any questions that you have for me. Thank you, Mish.

Sitting in a hammock one morning I realized once again that life is simply just a cycle of life and death. This is theme that I find myself thinking about quite often and is nothing unusual to me. After the one thought came a stream of other thoughts that finally lead to something beyond what I can explain or recall experiencing in my whole life. The next few paragraphs are what the streams of thoughts were which lead to a paranormal event.

The first thought that came to me that morning was; what happens between the time-span of the human cycle of life and death is what people call "life" and life as we know it is a perception of a "physical" world that we call Earth. Earth is nothing more than a memory by a higher force - read on.

The next stream of thought was: we as humans take up role playing in our daily life, wearing masks on different settings. We are constantly creating "worlds" in which we play different roles - the husband, the boss, the child. We can choose to be whatever role we want to play in life and often we have multiple roles per day - creating so many worlds within ourselves.

After that, I began remembering various writings by different authors on the topics of GOD and spirituality. One of the topics I remember was based loosely on the theme that we all belong to a higher consciousness and that the universe was created by something "higher" in force. Soon after these streams of thoughts, I experienced a hallucination and I saw little streams of light coming from the cracks in the wall made from bricks.

Within that second, I realized something beyond what I've ever thought - The exact same way that we can create thoughts and memories or dream about things (these conscious-streams are manifestations of different "worlds" - because worlds are memories), something higher has created our universe in the same way. As in we are living in a conscious being which has created a memory of this universe. Here is the interesting part. As soon as I realized that when we DIE, we return to the god-like consciousness, I felt as if I was given the opportunity to awaken. I was presented with the opportunity to wake up from life, become conscious and be connected with the higher conscious.

Before I continue, I would like to hear some of your opinions on what you think about the experience I have written above. Also do you know any books which mention something along the lines of humans and life existing because of a memory created by someone/something higher in force.

Upon such rubish all metapysical philosophy stands... You tell me your feelings and I will tell you mine... Life is not a cycle of life and death... Life is a continuous chain of life, and that chain is unboken in all life back to the first primitive strand of dna...When you die you die, goodbye...If your forms of relationship work, and you are fit, you will leave a link of the chain of life behind when you die... That is the hope you get...

Let me tell you what your are trying to say about worlds... We all live in forms of relationship... Every form is a structure, and every relationship has a structure, and it is through these forms of relationship which are often multiple and overlapping that we survive, and all of human progress involves changes of forms of relationship, as when people get divorced, or revolt, or as, when the cave man moved from a cave to a tent... And we have our false forms too, that we often share, like religion, or spirituality that do us about as much good as harm, but, the relationship keeps the old form alive even when it does no one any actual good...Some forms are a feel good machine...You tickle it, and you laugh... And all of your insights are illusions, but life is full of them, and what it takes to weed out the illusions from the true vision is real philosophy, logic where it is needed, and sense when it will help...

But, hang on, and some one will straighten you out, or get you off the acid...
mishmish

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:49 pm
@Fido,
Fido;158217 wrote:
Upon such rubish all metapysical philosophy stands... You tell me your feelings and I will tell you mine... Life is not a cycle of life and death... Life is a continuous chain of life, and that chain is unboken in all life back to the first primitive strand of dna...When you die you die, goodbye...If your forms of relationship work, and you are fit, you will leave a link of the chain of life behind when you die... That is the hope you get...

Let me tell you what your are trying to say about worlds... We all live in forms of relationship... Every form is a structure, and every relationship has a structure, and it is through these forms of relationship which are often multiple and overlapping that we survive, and all of human progress involves changes of forms of relationship, as when people get divorced, or revolt, or as, when the cave man moved from a cave to a tent... And we have our false forms too, that we often share, like religion, or spirituality that do us about as much good as harm, but, the relationship keeps the old form alive even when it does no one any actual good...Some forms are a feel good machine...You tickle it, and you laugh... And all of your insights are illusions, but life is full of them, and what it takes to weed out the illusions from the true vision is real philosophy, logic where it is needed, and sense when it will help...

But, hang on, and some one will straighten you out, or get you off the acid...

Your idea is very logical. Yes, we do connect with people in life, forming relationships, if we are successful and we are fit, we can pass our DNA on down the line leaving behind something from our physical body in another human, and something physical of us will remain present after we die. This biological view on life is correct, in the context of the physical world. Although we don't live just in one world. You have an internal world (mental state of being), cultural worlds and worlds that are not visible to the human eye. This popular idea that procreating is essential to a mans life, especially now days, is without good cause. A question that regards the physical world; Why over-populate a planet, and why create life in a physical world, if that world is suffering? Our race does not even help the physical quality of the planet Earth. If our race doesn't benefit the planet that essentially housed and gave birth to us, then in this exact moment in the cycle of our civilization, how can we say it is important to have children?[INDENT]Current projections show a steady decline in the growth rate,
and a population of around 9 billion by the year 2050.

The scientific consensus is that the current population
expansion and accompanying increase in usage of resources
is linked to threats to the ecosystem.
(wikipedia)

[/INDENT]This brings me to my other point to think about: If the existence of mankind in the physical world serves no beneficial purpose to, in my opinion the most important thing in the physical & biological realm - planet Earth - then the concept of life is challenged drastically.

The topic has gone off course a little bit, nevertheless, your comments are appreciated.
Deckard

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:29 am
@mishmish,
mishmish;158051 wrote:

I think what you are describing qualifies as a religious experience. In more secular realms, I think this is called a "peak experience" at least that's what Maslow called it. I've had a few so I know where you are coming from at least somewhat. Your comments about playing roles like husband, boss child reminded me of Shakespeare ("all the world is a stage") and Talking Heads ("Once in a lifetime"). However, even if such roles and identifications are in a sense just parts that we play I don't think this makes them somehow less than authentic. I think you should play the roles you have been dealt as best as you can. Sure there seems to be something more but I don't think that this "something more" is necessarily telling us to abandon our roles and wander off into the desert looking for God or Nirvana or whatever. What we are doing here is probably very important. The roles that we play are probably very important. The religious experience you described probably reveals something important as well but i think there is room for both. I think there is room for the role even after the revelation. Maybe every once in a while when we are relaxing back stage we let the mask slip off but that doesn't mean we shouldn't put the mask back on at some point or that the mask is any less a part of who we really are.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:37 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;158051 wrote:
I felt as if I was given the opportunity to awaken. I was presented with the opportunity to wake up from life, become conscious and be connected with the higher conscious.

So why did you not take the opportunity?

I appreciate and think I understand what you are saying, but you
have reminded me of the point that always snarls my mind when
considering such matters: That is, why do we always return to this
physical world, rather than remain in the non-corporeal world of
the mind and pure consciousness?

Even the most seasoned of psychonauts must eventually return
to the base. Well, maybe not always. Sometimes they use too
much rocket fuel and never return. However, unless they have
really pulled off a don Juan (Castaneda's don Juan, not the legendary
lover) and physically disappear into the crack between the worlds,
the actual vessel of their body remains, inexplicably, behind.
mishmish

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:16 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;158495 wrote:
So why did you not take the opportunity?
That is, why do we always return to this
physical world, rather than remain in the non-corporeal world of
the mind and pure consciousness?

This is exactly what baffled me, it - the answer to not taking that opportunity - was fear! It was fear that I was about to leave behind everything that I enjoyed in the physical world. A loss of material possessions scared me so much - a loss of everything I know, everything I cared about emotionally, everything that I am attached to. Logically I understand that every materialistic object I own has nothing to do with my journey to achieve peace, nor do other relations. My heart was racing so fast to get back here to enjoy another moment of false-happiness with my false-identity using false-material possessions, that I decided not to "wake up". It also made sense to me why many people don't want us to attain a peaceful state of mind, or find true happiness, without the need for materialism. Just like the good, we have the bad, and the bad is what stops us from reaching that peace. A fear that has been instilled on us, from birth, by the massive corporations that depend on our money.

As written in some literature, the whole point of being emotionally unattached to material possessions in the physical world (not dependent on for happiness) is so your inner-being can live in harmony. Maybe such words are also written so that when given the opportunity to leave this world; you are prepared and have no fear to do so.

I'm pretty sure my physical body wouldn't have disappeared if I had chosen to awaken - although this I don't know - maybe if I had taken the opportunity, someone would have just found me dead in that same hammock on that morning, the coroner's report would have said that He died from natural causes, my funeral would have taken place, and that would have been the end of the story.
0 Replies

Soul Brother

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 08:45 am
@mishmish,
It sounds as though you had a brief dimethyltryptamine experience though I don't think you are as ticktockman described a genuine psychonaut as you did not mention using any 'psilocin rocket fuel'

mishmish;158051 wrote:
A question that regards the physical world; Why over-populate a planet, and why create life in a physical world, if that world is suffering? Our race does not even help the physical quality of the planet Earth. If our race doesn't benefit the planet that essentially housed and gave birth to us, then in this exact moment in the cycle of our civilization, how can we say it is important to have children?

for this you have to understand that man does not care for earth, but for his pleasures. It is self contradictory since most of these worldly pleasures are in the physical world therefore would not be even possible without earth. Man takes and takes but he gives not and he cares not. It is sad but true.

It sometimes makes me ashamed of being a human being.
TickTockMan

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 11:30 pm
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;159308 wrote:
It sounds as though you had a brief dimethyltryptamine experience though I don't think you are as ticktockman described a genuine psychonaut as you did not mention using any 'psilocin rocket fuel'

I find it interesting that dimethyltryptamines are endogenous to the human brain.
0 Replies

mishmish

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 02:12 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;159308 wrote:
It sometimes makes me ashamed of being a human being.

I don't think you should feel ashamed. Firstly, it was not your fault that you where born, raised and educated in a society that damages Earth and secondly, we have power to educate people towards being conscious about their actions.

I agree that the release of DMT in the brain most likely took part in causing the hallucination throughout the duration of the experience.

Quote:
I find it interesting that dimethyltryptamines are endogenous to the human brain.
Studies show DMT can be naturally released in the brain during fasting, religious ceremonies, meditation and prayer.

The books by author Carlos Castaneda seem to be the closest vibe in literature to the experience, although I don't really believe in Castaneda's story to the fullest because of the read controversy to whether don Juan ever existed.

Any other books that relate to the experience?
jeeprs

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:37 am
@mishmish,
Have a look at Cosmic Consciousness by Richard Maurice Bucke. It was published in 1901 but is quite relevant to your post. It is an evergreen title, generally always in print.

---------- Post added 05-03-2010 at 07:38 PM ----------

I think what you described was a momentary awakening of what Bucke described as 'cosmic consciousness'.
salima

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:46 am
@mishmish,
hi mishmish-welcome to the forum

the fear is natural-it is certainly instilled in us, but not by corporations. i read that even the highest of masters and gurus will feel a sense of fear at the moment of death, even being lucid and knowing there is nothing to fear-because if that wasnt inbuilt into us, none of us would be here...why would we stay?

i was just thinking this morning that i have no hope of reward in paradise, because it would be boring. i suppose i could say that i should give god more credit who would find some way to occupy us in a paradise where we had to stay forever. but still i thought if there are no challenges or opportunities and in fact no dualities of success/failure, beauty/ugliness, nothing to prefer or avoid...what would we do? everything would be perfect, nothing to build or create...

but then i thought if this world isnt actually worthless because of all those things it has that paradise cant have...well by now i forgot what i thought next. but it had something to do with making this world not as worthless as i once thought it was, and wondering if there could ever really be anything better, no matter how much i have complained about it in my life. maybe if we just learn how to work it right...

but that happy peaceful feeling during those kind of trips doesnt seem boring, does it...i guess we will have to wait and see a while longer...
HexHammer

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:55 am
@salima,
salima;159512 wrote:
...why would we stay?
Maybe to see our granchildren grow and prosper, to guard and guide our friends and family ..Imo there's endless of reasons.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:11 am
@jeeprs,
This has been on my list of books to look at for a while (but I haven't read it yet):
Waking from Sleep: Why Awakening Experiences Occur and How to Make Them Permanent: Amazon.co.uk: Steve Taylor: Books
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:21 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;159493 wrote:

Any other books that relate to the experience?

This one was of some interest: Amazon.com: Inner Paths to Outer Space: Journeys to Alien Worlds through Psychedelics and Other Spiritual Technologies (9781594772245): Rick Strassman MD, Slawek Wojtowicz, Luis Eduardo Luna, Ede Frecska: Books
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 05:26 pm
@salima,
salima;159512 wrote:
hi mishmish-welcome to the forum

the fear is natural-it is certainly instilled in us, but not by corporations. i read that even the highest of masters and gurus will feel a sense of fear at the moment of death, even being lucid and knowing there is nothing to fear-because if that wasnt inbuilt into us, none of us would be here...why would we stay?

i was just thinking this morning that i have no hope of reward in paradise, because it would be boring. i suppose i could say that i should give god more credit who would find some way to occupy us in a paradise where we had to stay forever. but still i thought if there are no challenges or opportunities and in fact no dualities of success/failure, beauty/ugliness, nothing to prefer or avoid...what would we do? everything would be perfect, nothing to build or create...

but then i thought if this world isnt actually worthless because of all those things it has that paradise cant have...well by now i forgot what i thought next. but it had something to do with making this world not as worthless as i once thought it was, and wondering if there could ever really be anything better, no matter how much i have complained about it in my life. maybe if we just learn how to work it right...

but that happy peaceful feeling during those kind of trips doesnt seem boring, does it...i guess we will have to wait and see a while longer...

A man went to heaven, and his first day there he wandered around till he found two more guys...Finding there was nothing much to do besides jog and read, he asked to a pass to hell...There he found a non stop party in progress, with a band, bordello, and smorgasborg...Returning to heaven, he said to St. Peter: do you suppose we could get a band???Peter said: You want me to get a band for three people???....
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 05:44 pm
@mishmish,
hah. Good story. But I think Mishmish has a serious point there. People do have these experiences, and it is important, for them anyway, to understand what they mean. That I why I referred to the R M Bucke book. It actually provides a theoretical basis for the idea of enlightenment. It is subtitled 'a study in the evolution of the human mind'. Of course, it is not the kind of evolutionary theory that most of your straight ahead scientists will recognize. It says the human species is evolving towards a state called cosmic consciousness, which is as different to ordinary consciousness as human consciousness is to animal consciousness. Bucke then illustrates his theory with reference to a whole series of legendary prophets and sages, including JC, Mohammed, The Buddha, and many others.

There is another guy on the forum who is enthusiastic about hallucinogens. But his posts on topics other than his pet subject show (in my view) lack of insight and lack of education. It is true that you can have glimpses of the higher realms through these experiences. But 'what goes up must come down'. It is possible to have all the experience you like but until it is integrated and stabilized in your day-to-day life, they don't add up to a great deal.

I speak from experience.
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:28 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;158051 wrote:

Wow, people have been ripping you for your realization. Don't mind them, it gives them a sense of superiority. They are caught in a much more narrow "world" than you.

I actually thought your realization was quite plausible and meaningful. The universe is the "world" of a higher consciousness. Maybe some theists have innate knowledge of that consciousness through their consciousness.