What do numerals conjure in the mind?

xris

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 11:26 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;173519 wrote:
I think we are all wired for numbers. My wife hates math. It drives her crazy when I rave about it. I still haven't converted her. Almost everyone I meet is unpleasantly surprised when I say I am obsessed with it. I tell them it's perfect sculpture, but they don't believe me. I don't use it. Except the basics we all use. So there's no homework, no duty involved. I also study/contemplate meta-mathematics. Supposedly metamath and calculus are harder than algebra, but it's not that simple. There are basic concepts involved which are exciting and approachable. It's not about the big problems, in my opinion, but about the basic problems, or the essential concepts. It's all about the pure crystalline thought involved. It's like a stone sculpture, except that calculus is the t-1000 from Terminator 2. Smile
You keep your first love recon, im sure your wife can tolerate your obsession. As long as its not another women most wives are content. I love laying bricks, our garden has more walls than you can imagine. I do it by eye without the aid of a level, very rustic. We all need an obsession and numbers are everything ...enjoy my friend, enjoy.

As I said, my daughter has the same obsession, her application to solving the most difficult of mathematical riddles gives me so much pleasure... thats my girl...
Fido

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:46 pm
@xris,
xris;173832 wrote:
You keep your first love recon, im sure your wife can tolerate your obsession. As long as its not another women most wives are content. I love laying bricks, our garden has more walls than you can imagine. I do it by eye without the aid of a level, very rustic. We all need an obsession and numbers are everything ...enjoy my friend, enjoy.

As I said, my daughter has the same obsession, her application to solving the most difficult of mathematical riddles gives me so much pleasure... thats my girl...

I don't want to divert your thread; but my feeling is that women do not like to settle for something when they can have anything... Not to say that they can have anything, but if they don't need what they are settling for they may just move on... Love is a hundred percent commitment... Dive in, and swim all the way to the bottom... It is love that makes us real, and numbers that give us the stuff of reality... Would you put the stuff of reality before the reality??? Love, which so few can have at any price can by yours for a sacrifice of all you have... Do you have the nads to devote yourself to a piece of eternity??? What would you settle for???
xris

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:58 pm
@Fido,
Fido;173851 wrote:
I don't want to divert your thread; but my feeling is that women do not like to settle for something when they can have anything... Not to say that they can have anything, but if they don't need what they are settling for they may just move on... Love is a hundred percent commitment... Dive in, and swim all the way to the bottom... It is love that makes us real, and numbers that give us the stuff of reality... Would you put the stuff of reality before the reality??? Love, which so few can have at any price can by yours for a sacrifice of all you have... Do you have the nads to devote yourself to a piece of eternity??? What would you settle for???
Are you trying to tell me you understand women? if so , I think even trying is disaster. Be yourself , dont change from the person she first fell in love with. I would never be anything but myself..Recon to me sounds honest and appears a caring individual , his obsession would not deter a women of substance.
Fido

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 02:28 pm
@xris,
xris;173853 wrote:
Are you trying to tell me you understand women? if so , I think even trying is disaster. Be yourself , dont change from the person she first fell in love with. I would never be anything but myself..Recon to me sounds honest and appears a caring individual , his obsession would not deter a women of substance.

I don't understand my first woman, not my wife, or my mother, or any past lover; and I would, I feel, be insulting to suggest as much... I read about Native Americans... Does that allow me to understand them, or their experience among us??? Not hardly...Yet women are many degrees different from men than any nationality of men are from men... I understand myself pretty much, but even that is a moving target because every book I read, and every experience of my life gives me much more to understand... I trust that we are much the same as women, and that women live much more of their lives in communication, that they express themselves and their needs far more than men do; but if that is true, then men should listen to women when women trouble themselves to communicate... Women are the great intelligence test of life for men... If you can manage a relationship with a woman, the right woman, one who can love you back; then the sky is the limit... What is important is not all this philosophical nonsense... What philosophers almost universally fail at is what even the most common of people often succeed at, and that is relationships... There, in the crapshoot of life a guy gets a chance to scatter his seed on the winds of hope, and without a good women we may as well be sterile...

And it does not matter who you become, and life is becoming, because you are always yourself... You might notice that of children, that they are who they are from the moment of birth, and that, you cannot change...Since life is change, change is the the key to life... We cannot evolve in the course of our lives... We can only adapt, and we should not let anything stand in the way of change essential to our survival and the survival of our kind, and of our genes... We are mobile, fluid, and dynamic... Act like it...Squeeze yourself through the key hole of life and join the party...
xris

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:59 am
@Fido,
Sorry Fido but I don't understand why you expressed your views of Recons obsession and his wife's possible reaction?
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:28 am
@Fido,
Fido;173774 wrote:
If i were you recon, I would be aware of the words you use in regard to your wife... My wife hates... Drives her crazy... Before my wife left me she gave me plenty of signs about the things I did which drove her nuts, which is not to say it was not mutual..And she did so for years.. But two is a pretty nice number when it comes to people... And you may not want to be sitting around some day in an empty house asking: why'ed she leave me??? Think about it...

Numbers have a specific function, and that is the conception/abstraction of physical reality... Number is a true concept...Yet, we live in the moral world, and I may add, that is where we love...

Ah but I'm exaggerating! The little lady loves me. We are quite happy. But I take your point. I'm pretty damned brilliant at making her happy. Now what would really piss her off is cessation of complements and tenderness. I'm glad to say I'm not all brain no heart. Watch my blog videos and tell me if you don't see a clown. The ladies love to laugh?

Poetry was my first love. I have not forgot the word and more importantly the passion from which beauty is perceived and poetry is made. More than the sculpture of pure concept I love women, and especially mine.

Yes, we live in the moral world. Number is just a piece of jewelry. But it's free. It's an enrichment. I don't know if you have looked at the number e or calculus, but there's a rich beauty there. It's flux represented in stasis. Strange stuff.

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 04:31 AM ----------

xris;174130 wrote:
Sorry Fido but I don't understand why you expressed your views of Recons obsession and his wife's possible reaction?

I know he means well. And since we have had many a conversation it's not as strange as it might seem. Still, I appreciate your kind words in that earlier post.

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 04:39 AM ----------

Fido;173875 wrote:
. Women are the great intelligence test of life for men... If you can manage a relationship with a woman, the right woman, one who can love you back; then the sky is the limit... What is important is not all this philosophical nonsense... What philosophers almost universally fail at is what even the most common of people often succeed at, and that is relationships... There, in the crapshoot of life a guy gets a chance to scatter his seed on the winds of hope, and without a good women we may as well be sterile...

This is well said. I feel this way myself. I have held my little lady through 14 years and believe me the earlier years were stormy. A good woman is a treasure beyond compare. Yeah, if I were my forum-self in regards to marriage I would be long lost already. Instead, this is a place for the indulgence of those abstractions that men are generally so fond of. I've seen many a man abandoned by his woman. All of my friends have suffered it. It's almost always the woman that leaves, and the man is indeed often clueless, too confident. I was like that in my 20s, but got set straight by the hint of the possibility of losing this treasure. Woke me up. Mathematics is a relatively safe mistress....Smile

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 04:41 AM ----------

Fido;173875 wrote:

And it does not matter who you become, and life is becoming, because you are always yourself... You might notice that of children, that they are who they are from the moment of birth, and that, you cannot change...Since life is change, change is the the key to life... We cannot evolve in the course of our lives... We can only adapt, and we should not let anything stand in the way of change essential to our survival and the survival of our kind, and of our genes... We are mobile, fluid, and dynamic... Act like it...Squeeze yourself through the key hole of life and join the party...

I agree with all of this. Beneath my nerdy private interests, you are talking to that a-hole who is considered a life of the party. Of course I can't prove it in this post ....:detective:

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 04:45 AM ----------

Fido;173851 wrote:

Yes Love is the Key to Life. Hence the capital letters. Now that is something I 100% agree on. Love and Beauty is the point of it all. And maybe Beauty is the by-product of love. I'm lucky to still experience what feels like young love 14 years in. And maybe not having children has helped that. No doubt parenthood is a grand thing. But some just aren't the type. My lady is an artist herself, a musician. We both have learned the necessity of personal space w/o forgetting the greater necessity of tenderness, communication, all the good stuff. 14 years is an education. Smile
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:50 am
@xris,
xris;173832 wrote:

Thanks, man! Yes, the other woman is the kill-factor. And I have caused enough jealousy (back in my roaring reckless 20s) to learn the folly in that nonsense.

I like that you do it by eye. I can appreciate that. I also think it's great that your daughter loves math. Now she's into solving problems, which is great..and useful for the future. I'm more obsessed with something else in math. But it's all part of the same beauty. The efficiency and clarity of mathematical meaning, sprinkled with numbers like pi and e and i. The psychedelic numbers.Smile Yes, obsessions or whatever makes a man joyful also make a man easy to be around. I may bore my lady sometimes but she's not afraid to show it and I'm not too deaf too listen. Oh, she'll let me know! And this is great. I bet your garden is amazing. My lady loves plants (and cats and dogs and all that lives). And that's a good sign in my opinion.

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 04:54 AM ----------

HexHammer;173775 wrote:
Yes, most are wired for maths, some are overstimulated and some are understimulated, therefor you shouldn't push math upon those who does not desire math.

Yeah, I know. I really should have chosen my words more carefully. That's text for you. I tend toward comical hyperbole in the real world. If you guys met me in the real world you might be surprised, or maybe not. I'm always trying to lively up the place. I have 1000 passions. Smile
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:19 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;174136 wrote:
I've seen many a man abandoned by his woman. All of my friends have suffered it. It's almost always the woman that leaves, and the man is indeed often clueless, too confident.

Ha! I left my wife; I divorced her; I applied for, and got, custody of our daughter. There are exceptions to most rules.

Not sure what this has to do with numerals ...
Reconstructo;174136 wrote:
I was like that in my 20s, but got set straight by the hint of the possibility of losing this treasure. Woke me up. Mathematics is a relatively safe mistress....Smile

Oh, no, she isn't! La belle dame sans merci is a pliant tart in comparison.
Quote:
I was under the Calvary Cross
The pale-faced lady she said to me
I've watched you with my one green eye
And I'll hurt you 'till you need me
You scuff your heels and you spit on your shoes
You do nothing with reason
One day you catch a train
Never leaves the station

Everything you do
Everything you do
You do for me

Now you can make believe on your tin whistle
And you can be my broom-boy
Scrub me 'till I shine in the dark
I'll be your light 'till doomsday
Oh it's a black cat cross your path
And why don't you follow
My claw's in you and my light's in you
This is your first day of sorrow

Everything you do
Everything you do
You do for me
Song-o-matic - The Calvary Cross

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 11:25 AM ----------

Reconstructo;173494 wrote:
What we desire or love is beautiful. Women, personal glory, mathematical beauty, a sculpture (I love the quasi-eternity of stone,) [...]

In this connection, may I recommend Tim Powers, The Stress of Her Regard? That'll put you off from loving women made of stone! Keats is in it.
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:27 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;174150 wrote:
Ha! I left my wife; I divorced her; I applied for, and got, custody of our daughter. There are exceptions to most rules.

Not sure what this has to do with numerals ...

Oh, no, she isn't! La belle dame sans merci is a pliant tart in comparison.
Song-o-matic - The Calvary Cross

Agreed on all counts. I made a joke about my wife hating my math-talk & the subject of women and losing them surfaced. Of course I was exaggerating in the first place.

Maybe I'm divided enough by my 2 mistresses Sophia and Mathema just enough that neither one will steal me away to the Void. Smile

---------- Post added 06-07-2010 at 05:27 AM ----------

Twirlip;174150 wrote:

In this connection, may I recommend Tim Powers, The Stress of Her Regard? That'll put you off from loving women made of stone! Keats is in it.

But I like my women cough woman soft. Smile
0 Replies