Bill Maxwell

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:09 pm
@Reconstructo,
It doesn't really make sense for it to be illegal. Alcohol does much more damage than marijuana and is much more dangerous, yet alcohol is perfectly acceptable. In this respect the law is just inconsistent.

However, I think the main argument put forward for keeping it illegal is the slippery slope argument. Basically, legalising marijuana may lead to people experimenting with stronger drugs. Therefore, the act of legalising now could lead to bigger and more dangerous drug-related issues in the future.
Rwa001

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:52 pm
@Bill Maxwell,
Quote:
It doesn't really make sense for it to be illegal. Alcohol does much more damage than marijuana and is much more dangerous, yet alcohol is perfectly acceptable. In this respect the law is just inconsistent.

However, I think the main argument put forward for keeping it illegal is the slippery slope argument. Basically, legalising marijuana may lead to people experimenting with stronger drugs. Therefore, the act of legalising now could lead to bigger and more dangerous drug-related issues in the future.

Well the law is inconsistent in that there are certain potentially addictive, potentially dangerous substances that are legal and there are others that are not. Either we have the right to engage in drug-use up to the point that it harms another or we do not. The middle ground here is defined in utilitarian terms, what causes harm vs. what causes benefit, and what is the measurable difference. But despite all of our attempts, we have been unable to enact a legal system based on utilitarian concepts that isn't inconsistent and generally arbitrary.

Look at statutory rape law, people can be convicted of it and put on the sex offender registry without ever intending to break the law. Mens Rea is one of the most important concepts in our legal system and strict liability laws practically **** all over it.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:47 pm
@mediadrug,
Rwa001;163626 wrote:
That's insane.

Just because you have a different viewpoint to the one you quoted (without attribution - there is a video on attributing quotes properly which you might watch) does not mean the viewpoint with which you differ is 'insane'. It might simply be different. And I stand by it - not that any of this will make the slightest difference to what the authorities do.
Rwa001

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:57 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;163668 wrote:
Just because you have a different viewpoint to the one you quoted (without attribution - there is a video on attributing quotes properly which you might watch) does not mean the viewpoint with which you differ is 'insane'. It might simply be different. And I stand by it - not that any of this will make the slightest difference to what the authorities do.

Point taken. But when you make a claim, you can expect it to be judged on it's practicality and rationality. So we'll reexamine your original post (quoted correctly this time), and I'll explain why it's neither practical nor rational.

jeeprs;159465 wrote:
I support legalization with the caveat that nobody should be alllowed to make any money out of it. If it becomes a legal product that is traded and advertized, it will just be another problem in the same category as tobacco and alchohol (although I think it is less evil than alchohol in many ways.) So logically, I think people should be able to grow it for themselves but that severe (although perhaps not criminal) penalties should remain on selling it for profit - more like a fine for profiteering.

Nobody should EVER be sent to jail for marijuana consumption or trivial supply offences.

Your claim isn't practical because without commercial production (that is to say, production for profit) many people without the ability to grow marijuana (that's most people) would be out of luck.

Your claim isn't rational because the premise that it will become a problem like alcohol and tobacco if it becomes a commodity isn't justified. What do you mean by problem? Why is that problem a necessary result of commercialization?

If you were just stating your opinion and don't feel a justification is necessary, that's fine, but my objections to your claim stand. However, I do agree that jail time for marijuana consumption is laughable. I guess the politicians just thought our jails were getting empty and real criminals were getting lonely.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 08:06 pm
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;163677 wrote:
Your claim isn't rational because the premise that it will become a problem like alcohol and tobacco if it becomes a commodity isn't justified. What do you mean by problem? Why is that problem a necessary result of commercialization?

My argument is perfectly rational. You just happen not to agree with it. One is not irrational or insane because you don't agree with their views.
0 Replies

Leviathen249

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:01 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;163538 wrote:
The media and government has more or less brainwashed the public to believe Marijuana is something that it's not. Perhaps they just don't like the idea of a country such as the U.S. allowing marijuana the be legal (could be an image thing). The truth is weed is less dangerous for you then alcohol (especially when it comes to driving) and cigarettes.

-There hasn't been a single case of cancer solely related to marijuana
-You would have to smoke 200 pounds of weed in 15 minutes to overdose on THC
-Despite being under the influence marijuana can make you silly but doesn't pose any more threat to you or others than normally
-Marijuana doesn't contribute to violence outside the trade of the drug
-Marijuana smoke is the same as Tobacco, the difference is the average pot smoke might smoke a few times a week whereas the average cigarette smoker would smoke maybe a pack (20 cigs) a week
-Marijuana IS NOT addicting therefore it is easily controlled and not made to be a necessity
-Marijuana doesn't affect sperm count
-Marijuana doesn't affect heart health
-Smoking 2-3 times day for one month will reduce your lung capacity by 3%. If you can control how much you smoke, there will be no longterm effects whatsoever

This all has been PROVED. You will not melt on a couch next to your friend if you smoke weed.

Those are the facts. Who knows why the substance was originally made illegal, the world may never know...

Source?
I would appreciate a (credible) source because I am currently working on a paper that deals with the argument the marijuana should be legalized.
Mentally Ill

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 12:34 pm
@Leviathen249,
Leviathen249;163713 wrote:
Source?
I would appreciate a (credible) source because I am currently working on a paper that deals with the argument the marijuana should be legalized.

The TC2010 (Tax Cannabis) Bill is coming to California in November, I bet that you could find a lot of credible information at their website, Tax Cannabis 2010
0 Replies

MoralPhilosopher23

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:59 am
@mister kitten,
You honestly think that legalizing marijuana will make it more available to children? Throughout my years in highschool, it was always easier to find marijuana than it was to find alcohol unless someones parents had some. Marijuana is illegal so it floods the streets... it is everywhere and there is no way of stopping it, but you have to think of the children. You are right on that point. Would you rather have teenagers getting marijuana from a store that sells alcohol and cigarettes or would you rather have them buy marijuana from a drug dealer who also offers them heroin, cocain, ecstasy, and other harmful intoxicants? Marijuana, by itself, is a safe drug to use. I don't use drugs but it is safer to smoke marijuana than it is to eat food. Each year people choke to death, but there is not one report of someone dying from just smoking marijuana. It's actually more dangerous to drive than it is to smoke marijuana because people crash all the time. Cigarettes and alcohol are very dangerous, yet they are acceptable. What about the children then?

0 Replies