Amazing Quotes?

Dave Allen

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:10 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;144097 wrote:
"It is the madness of folly, to expect mercy from those who have refused to do justice; and even mercy, where conquest is the object, is only a trick of war; the cunning of the fox is as murderous as the violence of the wolf."
-Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
-Thomas Paine

"The whole art of war consists in getting at what is on the other side of the hill... All the business of war, and indeed all the business of life, is to endeavor to find out what you don't know by what you do; that's what I called 'guessing what was at the other side of the hill."
- Arthur Wellesley. first duke of wellington

"Ultima Ratio Regnum (last argument of kings)"
- engraved on the heavy cannons of King Louis XIV of France.

You've not been playing Napoleon: Total War recently have you?
VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:11 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;158303 wrote:
You've not been playing Napoleon: Total War recently have you?

Awesomely enough, I have! If you have not played it, there are select quotes like those that pop up during loading. I liked the few quotes I saw so much that I wondered whether or not there was a website with all the quotes on it, and the great internets provided! Great game though.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:51 am
@dave2770,
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:36 pm
@dave2770,
LOL! I have to admit that I have never played a naval battle in the game yet, I always autoplay it. I tried it a long time ago and I just said fudge it and left it up to the computer. Truth be told, I am a British military history-o-phile, so my choices for playing include the British, the British, and if I'm feeling adventurous, the British. Kinda bummed about how the new game doesn't have as much global reach as the previous game.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:00 pm
@dave2770,
So you play Brits but don't do the Naval stuff? For shame!

Actually, a large fleet consisting of first or second rate Ships Of The Line and a few bomb ketches will maul pretty much anything it meets even if your ability to control an individual ship is as bad as mine.

Here's an observation I find a little humbling. If you play Napoleon in Italy it takes at least a couple of fortnightly turns to move into a province, beat the defenders and set up a protectorate or occupation. If I play ruthlessly on the easy settings I can do a province a month.

Which seems pretty quick.

But the real life Napoleon took an average of a province a week during his Italian campaign. Fight on Monday and Tuesday, accept surrenders on Wednesday, set up Junta on Thursday, reprovision Friday, march on next province at the weekend.

He'd of lost patience with modern computers, I think.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:28 pm
@Dave Allen,
"The army is a projectile fired by the British navy." Which interestingly enough, I usually play like this when I play the British campaign in any case.

Which I wonder if you take on the tactics of the particular side you are playing when you are playing the game. For instance, when I play as Britain, I am immediately drawn to Greece, Portugal, and the German lowlands just as the British were. When I play a tactical battle, I almost always use longer lined linear formations, light artillery, and un-concentrated cavalry. But then when I play the French, I always focus on the German lowlands and avoid Russia. And when I play a tactical battle, I always use massed heavy artillery (Napoleons dearest quote as far as I am concerned was "with cannon, wars are made"), massed cavalry, short dense columns of fusiliers, and heavy screens of voltigeurs as Napoleon had.

Honestly, what better way to really put into practice what you learn about military history than to play it out yourself. I think that's what I find the funnest part of the game. I don't really get into the economics part of the game (I use the art money trainer) more than the historical substance in tactics and so on.
0 Replies

JFM phil

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:43 pm
@dave2770,
"Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse"
-John Derek
0 Replies

Abeydube

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:26 am
@dave2770,
Love is an illusions of time ...It destroys all memory of a begging and all fear of and end...E.e.Cummings
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:36 am
@Abeydube,
"Having a good attitude about losing doesn't change the fact that you're still a loser."

"If you think it doesn't matter if you win or lose, I don't want you on my team."
0 Replies

d3athlig3r

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 02:07 am
@dave2770,
One of my favourite quotes:

To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour.

- William Blake
Abeydube

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:55 am
@d3athlig3r,
d3athlig3r;169468 wrote:
One of my favourite quotes:

To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour.

- William Blake

OMG i Love that Poem ...its in a book called Alchemy? if im correct...if you remember plz tell me the author of the book
d3athlig3r

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 03:00 pm
@Abeydube,
The quote is from a poem called "Auguries of Innocence" By the poet "William Blake"

The entire poem can be found here:

Auguries of Innocence by William Blake

Smile
0 Replies