Amazing Quotes?

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 05:44 pm
Not from Philosophers.

"Life... dreams... hope... Where'd they come from? And where are they headed? These things... I am going to destroy!"

"Why do people rebuild things they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever? Think how meaningless each of your lives is!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,882 • Replies: 31
No top replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:51 am
@dave2770,
"It is the madness of folly, to expect mercy from those who have refused to do justice; and even mercy, where conquest is the object, is only a trick of war; the cunning of the fox is as murderous as the violence of the wolf."
-Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
-Thomas Paine

"The whole art of war consists in getting at what is on the other side of the hill... All the business of war, and indeed all the business of life, is to endeavor to find out what you don't know by what you do; that's what I called 'guessing what was at the other side of the hill."
- Arthur Wellesley. first duke of wellington

"Ultima Ratio Regnum (last argument of kings)"
- engraved on the heavy cannons of King Louis XIV of France.
wayne

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:39 am
@dave2770,
"Being sober on a bus is, like, totally different than being drunk on a bus"
0 Replies

Brandon phil

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 02:10 am
@dave2770,
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." - Albert Einstein
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:58 pm
@dave2770,
dave2770;143768 wrote:
Not from Philosophers.

"Life... dreams... hope... Where'd they come from? And where are they headed? These things... I am going to destroy!"

"Why do people rebuild things they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever? Think how meaningless each of your lives is!

I get chicken skin every Time I here: I have a Dream !

Pepijn Sweep
ud Jisp
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 02:42 pm
@dave2770,
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw
0 Replies

platorepublic

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:41 pm
@dave2770,
"2+2=5"

No really, it's true.
0 Replies

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:15 pm
@dave2770,
"better to live a valuable life than to live happily"

"don't think positive or negative, think both"

"the unique are stronger than the ordinary"
0 Replies

etherguant

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 02:43 pm
@dave2770,
"I was frozen today!"
"Who the hell hit the chicken switch."
"When all you have is a hammer, everyone starts to look like nails."
Added:
"Where did you send them Mr. Popo"
"I'll tell you where they're not...safe Very Happy"

"When you have a clumsy child you get them a helmet. If you have death-prone children you keep a few clones of them in your lab."

I removed an aqua teen hunger force quote because it might be considered vulgar and ergo against the rules, I would appreciate a PM that can give me a rough outline on what's considered offensive material.

"Caribou gone!"

"What is the difference between a man and a parasite? A man builds, a parasite asks 'Where's my share?' A man creates, a parasite says 'What will the neighbors think?' A man invents, a parasite says 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God...'"
0 Replies

Ali phil

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:06 am
@dave2770,
Always do for others and let others do for you (:
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:14 am
@dave2770,
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
Dosed

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:37 pm
@dave2770,
"I couldn't see the crowd tonight because of the spotlight. But I could feel them for sure. They had so much energy. I guess the blind know Love better than us, yeah? They can feel it better, you know? They aren't distracted by image like you and me."
-Jack White.

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe.
0 Replies

pinfall

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 12:37 pm
@dave2770,
'Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about something that matters'
MLK
0 Replies

platorepublic

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:12 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;154038 wrote:
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

Well perhaps both don't deal with questions and answers, because every question has a definite answer.
William

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:29 am
@Brandon phil,
Brandon;146057 wrote:
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." - Albert Einstein

Way to go Brandon, Einstein is one of my favorite quotients, ha! My only comment is we will be free of some of those "living" creatures when we stop acting like animals. We don't embrace the predators or the vermin, we can truly do without those. Yet they do embrace us......; it's called a stranglehold.

William
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:09 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;157155 wrote:
Well perhaps both don't deal with questions and answers, because every question has a definite answer.

How is the underlined statement so?
platorepublic

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:22 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;157197 wrote:
How is the underlined statement so?

A question is posed in search of an answer. If there is no answer, there is actually no question.
0 Replies

onetwopi

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:47 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;144097 wrote:

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
-Thomas Paine

I need to read more Thomas Paine! In what work can I find this quote?

Cheers! :listening:
VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:19 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;157393 wrote:
I need to read more Thomas Paine! In what work can I find this quote?

Cheers! :listening:

This specific quote can be found in The American Crisis, book 4, first sentence of the first paragraph. Thomas Paine is definitely one of my favorite American revolutionary authors next to John Adams, especially his short work Common Sense. Was it really such a crazy idea that colonists had the power to rule themselves rather than be strangled by British monopoly? Eviscerate the Parliamentary-inat! LOL!

It's nice to see that Paine, Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, etc. are getting more attention these days because the material really is very fascinating.
onetwopi

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:41 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;157397 wrote:
It's nice to see that Paine, Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, etc. are getting more attention these days because the material really is very fascinating.

They are certainly far more fascinating than the modern day "Spin Doctors"! And you can't say that they were in it just to make a buck.

Thanks for the reference--I just got it on my kindle for free!

Cheers!
0 Replies