Have I "debunked" God's existence?

Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:20 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168799 wrote:
..as per the Grand Design. the universe is created in such a way that these things can happen.

You see, a theist can always sidestep this argument by appending whatever evidence you present with '...as was intended'.

Yes and I find it interesting that it was you who would take the moment to point this out. I understand that no matter what sort of information is provided for a majority of theists they will hold fast to their beliefs even if the information clearly points out that what they believe is actually false. Maybe it is just pride that prevents them from acknowledging they were wrong or maybe they just can not cope with new information that contradicts their theology.

jeeprs;168799 wrote:

The fact that life arose spontaneously does not undermine a symbolic reading of the Bible. It only undermines a literal reading of the bible. But the bible is not supposed to be read literally, and never was given as a scientific account. So unless you're arguing against biblical creationism, nothing you present makes any difference to the theistic view, provided the Bible is interpreted metaphorically.

Well perhaps my bias would only get in the way more if I were to say that the bible is completely useless for any sort of origin teaching. If you can't take it literal (which many do anyways) and if it is not scientific then what exactly is it? You can say it has a moralistic message and that is it's underline point but even this I fail to see it as a moral story. Obey an being who gives no evidence for it's existence or face damnation? This is not a moral story it is a threat.

jeeprs;168799 wrote:

(Footnote - have you noticed that fundamentalism is almost exclusively Proestant in orientation? Ever wondered why there are hardly any Catholic fundamentalists? I find that an interesting question.. I think it is because Luther encouraged such a 'biblio-centric' view of religion, whereas the Catholics maintained their allegiance to Greek philosophy, which has no problem accommodating evolutionary ideas. In fact I think there was a proto-evolutionary theory in pre-Socratic philosophy.)

Well perhaps even I can be considered a fundamentalist atheist. But to be honest, I don't strive to end or annihilate or eradicate religion in any way. All that I really want is for it to acknowledge it does not have authority to dictate it's supposed moral values onto the rest of society. It does not have the right to interfere with the laws of the country and dictate what people are allowed to do with their own bodies. I understand if a religious person personally does not want to do something like consume drugs or alcohol or to solicit sex or support prostitution or gambling. If a person decides that these things are wrong for them, then by all means that is their choice. But they should not have the right to tell others that these things are forbidden or punishable acts. To dictate such a thing to me is morally wrong itself.

I respect peoples right to choose to be religious. At least they should respect the rights of others to be non-religious. I respect their wish to not do the things they find morally wrong, however they need to respect others who find these things not morally wrong. That is all I strive to accomplish.

If I suffer after this life ends because of my actions then so be it. But I still stand at the point where these theological belief systems fail to provide substantial proofs that their moral codes are derived from an existing divine entity or thing with ultimate authority. Sure they make the claims but as far as I am concerned it is just make believe.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:26 pm
@Diogenes phil,
Klope3;168861 wrote:
In the meantime, the below might be of interest.

Hey that's a great argument.

There is another point I have read about in the biological sciences. It turns out that creatures have a lot of 'junk dna'. The correspondences between a gene and an attribute are not 1:1 also. This means, for example, that the same gene can produce different outcomes in different contexts. This is partially determined by so-called 'master genes' which seem to dictate how particular genes, or even combinations of genes, behave in a particular context.

Now an interesting case is that of the 'eyeless' gene. This is a gene, which, if removed from fruitfly DNA, will result in a fruitfly without eyes. Now you can splice in the corresponding gene from mouse DNA. Note that the composition of mouse and insect eyes are completely different. Insect eyes are compound, while mammal eyes have one lens. Nevertheless when you do this, you get a fruitfly with insect eyes.

So the question is, how does the DNA, or the genotype, read the information encoded in this gene in such a way that the right type of eye is generated?

To my knowledge, this question has not been answered yet.

Ref: Nancy M. Bonini, Quang T. Bui, Gladys L. Gray-Board and John M. Warrick, "The Drosophila eyes absent gene directs ectopic eye formation in a pathway conserved between flies and vertebrates," Development (1997) 124, 4819-4826.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 12:27 PM ----------

Krumple;168863 wrote:
Well perhaps even I can be considered a fundamentalist atheist.

I think that is an honest self-assessment, but you are by no means alone in that.
Klope3

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:30 pm
@Diogenes phil,
I watched the video on the beetle, and I have to say, I found it in no way convincing. All it did was prove that the chemicals found in the beetle do not actually explode. That may knock out the beetle example for irreducible complexity, but that's all it does. It does not in any way disprove irreducible complexity itself.

Not only that, but the teacer's conclusion at the end of the video was very surprising. Creating a complex argument "in one fell swoop" is NOT like a tornado blowing together a 747, if the creator is intelligent (which is exactly what creationists propose).
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@Diogenes phil,
Actually I very much appreciate your input above, Krumple, I only saw it after I posted the Eyes one....will come back to it, I am doing about 10 different things at the moment....
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:38 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168864 wrote:
Hey that's a great argument.

There is another point I have read about in the biological sciences. It turns out that creatures have a lot of 'junk dna'. The correspondences between a gene and an attribute are not 1:1 also. This means, for example, that the same gene can produce different outcomes in different contexts. This is partially determined by so-called 'master genes' which seem to dictate how particular genes, or even combinations of genes, behave in a particular context.

Now an interesting case is that of the 'eyeless' gene. This is a gene, which, if removed from fruitfly DNA, will result in a fruitfly without eyes. Now you can splice in the corresponding gene from mouse DNA. Note that the composition of mouse and insect eyes are completely different. Insect eyes are compound, while mammal eyes have one lens. Nevertheless when you do this, you get a fruitfly with insect eyes.

So the question is, how does the DNA, or the genotype, read the information encoded in this gene in such a way that the right type of eye is generated?

To my knowledge, this question has not been answered yet.

Well your question is a good one, and one that some people trip on and just assume that there must be some programmer behind the scenes and that is how it works.

I would say that the result is not just within the eye gene but instead there is probably some other part of the DNA which determines the actual structure of the eye. But all we are really talking about is some chemical compounds, there is no code about it. We just call it a code because it is the best way to understand what is happening.

The best example I can give is this video. It is well done and very informative. So if you are interested in how DNA works this is a good source.

YouTube - DonExodus2's Channel

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 07:52 PM ----------

Klope3;168868 wrote:
I watched the video on the beetle, and I have to say, I found it in no way convincing. All it did was prove that the chemicals found in the beetle do not actually explode. That may knock out the beetle example for irreducible complexity, but that's all it does. It does not in any way disprove irreducible complexity itself.

Not only that, but the teacer's conclusion at the end of the video was very surprising. Creating a complex argument "in one fell swoop" is NOT like a tornado blowing together a 747, if the creator is intelligent (which is exactly what creationists propose).

Are you sure you are assessing the whole problem fairly though?

Isn't IC a theory? If it is a theory it must be backed with evidence. You can't just claim that IC is a fact and that the only way to determine if it is not a fact is to provide counter proofs. It doesn't work like that. I have given two examples which IC was used incorrectly. These examples were used by those who professed IC as a truth. But these counter arguments have proven that these IC examples are false.

So then I have given two examples of how IC has failed to provide evidence to back it's position. Wouldn't it be fair for me to request evidence from you then that would back up Irreducible Complexity?

If you can not provide any evidence to support IC being true than any further additions that I would provide is completely wasted since all you will do is make the same claim you have already done twice now. The ball is in your court.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 09:14 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;168863 wrote:
Yes and I find it interesting that it was you who would take the moment to point this out. I understand that no matter what sort of information is provided for a majority of theists they will hold fast to their beliefs even if the information clearly points out that what they believe is actually false. Maybe it is just pride that prevents them from acknowledging they were wrong or maybe they just can not cope with new information that contradicts their theology.

Well perhaps my bias would only get in the way more if I were to say that the bible is completely useless for any sort of origin teaching. If you can't take it literal (which many do anyways) and if it is not scientific then what exactly is it?

It is quite possible to be religious and scientific and see no conflict between the two disciplines. You might find that hard to understand. But this conflict is the result of a particular understanding of the Bible. I would associate biblical literalism and fundamentalism specifically with evangelical protestantism. These kinds of influences are very much more prominent in the US than in many other parts of the world. America was founded by Protestant dissidents who were fleeing Catholic persecution and sought religious freedom in the New World. It is no coincidence that the very word 'Fundamentalism' was created by American Protestants.

It is regrettable, because there are many people who would never dream of interpreting the Bible as kind of 'primitive science'. The problem with the Culture War is that the scientific protagonists are allowing their approach to be dictated by the lowest common denominator. Hence, 'secular fundamentalism'. It is like 'the opposite of religion'. Whatever they say, we say the opposite.

I hope you can see that this is basically not very smart, really.

As to what religion really means, it is a deeper and more difficult question than reverse-fundamentalism will allow. But one indisputable fact is that most human societies, at most times in history, have had religious beliefs.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 01:22 PM ----------

I don't think religion of any kind deals with the level of detail that science seeks to provide. But science doesn't deal with the over-arching issues of meaning that religion contemplates. It is really important to get this into perspective in my opinion.
Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 09:28 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168877 wrote:
As to what religion really means, it is a deeper and more difficult question than reverse-fundamentalism will allow. But one indisputable fact is that most human societies, at most times in history, have had religious beliefs.

But that really doesn't say anything to me. I mean you can lump a whole lot of similarities into human societies. Look at language itself. How many different languages there are in the world. I would say it is not that religion has some fundamental truth about it and that is why it is so broadly seen within human societies. It is because of the lack of understanding the world where power can be granted if you can come up with some plausible explanation for why things are happening.

Look at some of the tribal cultures. The religious people tended to be held in higher regards because of their "connections". They were treated differently because they could come up with the reasons for why things happened. Stories get created and passed down. Some things get altered and others aspects disappear. The stories get refined over time to have the biggest impact on the listener.

I say if religion was a fundamental truth, it would have exactly the same truths. Just like there is math in every culture yet it is fundamentally the same math. The reason is because math is a universal truth. But religion is not, because every single aspect of where it arises is drastically different. Many religions have contradictory terms. If there are contradictions then it can not be said to be a universal truth.

I also think many societies leave the work to religion to explain things because people in general are lazy. They don't really want to take the time to understand anything. They want the easiest explanation and that is it. For the most part religion has the easiest explanation.

One final note about this, I feel that people would rather have religion because religion makes them feel better where as the truth does not always feel good. People would rather be lied to because it makes them happy than to hear the truth that they really don't want to know.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 09:35 pm
@Diogenes phil,
hate to break this to you but you are so blinded by your anti-religious feelings, which you indiscriminately vent given any opportunity, that you are completely unable to be objective about whatever meaning might be found in it. If you studied any of the great texts of comparative religion, like Hero with a Thousand Faces, the Varieties of Religious Experience, or The Perennial Philosophy, you would discover there are indeed universal truths, archetypes, and motifs that run through all cultures and throughout history.

But there is not use talking to you about any of it, because your mind is completely closed.
Krumple

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 10:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168880 wrote:
hate to break this to you but you are so blinded by your anti-religious feelings, which you indiscriminately vent given any opportunity, that you are completely unable to be objective about whatever meaning might be found in it. If you studied any of the great texts of comparative religion, like Hero with a Thousand Faces, the Varieties of Religious Experience, or The Perennial Philosophy, you would discover there are indeed universal truths, archetypes, and motifs that run through all cultures and throughout history.

But there is not use talking to you about any of it, because your mind is completely closed.

You don't think I have studied any of those? You just assume that I just make up my conclusion. That I just forgo all inquiry? Just because there are minute similarities it does not draw a fundamental correlation of truth. Just because all mammals have eyes does it mean that all mammals see the same or have the same kind of vision? No. Since some people want to know things, they will invent reasons regardless if they are truths. When a lie persists long enough it can be considered a truth until it is debunked. Even after it is debunked there will still be certain individuals who will persist that their belief is still true regardless of the evidence to the contrary.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:28 pm
@Diogenes phil,
None of what you write about religion betokens any insight into it. All I get from it is that you don't like it. The arguments you use against it show no indication that you have the least insight into what it stands for.
QuinticNon

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:40 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;168870 wrote:
But all we are really talking about is some chemical compounds, there is no code about it. We just call it a code

That's just not true Krumple and teeters on misinformation. Science doesn't just arbitrarily add the term code to something that has "no code about it".

There are extremely precise reasons why DNA is a base four quaternary code, and RNA is a base three ternary code. Two separate codes that fulfill an extremely sophisticated communications protocol.

It is not a template. It is not a blueprint. DNA is a code, and that's why it's called the genetic code.

For the very same reasons, we cannot call anything else in nature a code, be it organic or inorganic.

Claiming that DNA is just a bunch of chemicals is like claiming my comment is just a bunch of letters.

I see I've been away too long.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:55 pm
@Diogenes phil,
hey welcome back Q! Nice to hear from you again.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 04:03 PM ----------

Krumple;168870 wrote:
We just call it a code because it is the best way to understand what is happening.

Actually what QuinticNon says is true, and science says it is true.
Quote:
The central dogma of molecular biology deals with the detailed residue-by-residue transfer of sequential information. It states that information cannot be transferred back from protein to either protein or nucleic acid.

Now many ID theorists will of course advance this as an argument for 'special creation'. I don't think you have to draw that conclusion, but the 'argument from information' is a very strong argument against bottom-up causation.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:04 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168901 wrote:
None of what you write about religion betokens any insight into it. All I get from it is that you don't like it. The arguments you use against it show no indication that you have the least insight into what it stands for.

You can say you are for animal rights, and speak in public protests against eating animals but nothing says that you can't be eating animals out of public view.

Religion has something to sell, and this product is never delivered. Show me a person who has gotten the delivery.
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:12 am
@Diogenes phil,
Diogenes;163152 wrote:
If God has free will, yet knows all of his actions through his omniscience, can He freely act against his knowledge?

Play this game with the G of your choice, and of your design. It supposes that G is a physical entity that somehow acts under the same confines as other observable physical entities.

You use the words "actions" and "act" under the assumption that humans must be capable of comprehending the full essence of the concept.

For instance, let's take a sample action. A simple one like eating. May we agree that eating is an action?

Assuming so, now we need two entities that are of differing intelligent levels. Two entities with different logic capacities. And although G is supposedly infinitely more intelligent that humans to even begin to compare the two logic capacities, let's choose something much closer for this analogy. Let's choose Monkey's and Humans.

May we assume that both Monkey and Man have the intelligence required to understand the act of eating? Let's do please without debate, for we both know that Monkey and Man will eat. But do they both understand the concept of fine dining? Is Monkey capable of comprehending digestion, cooking, meal preparation, refrigeration, gas vs electric vs bbq, antacid tablets, decorative dinner ware, GMO, MSG, or pallet cleansers?

Point being, there is more to the act of eating than just eating.

How foolish the Monkey would be to deny that. How foolish the Monkey is to insist upon Humans having the same comprehensional logic capacities as he does.

This is a comparison between to apparently similar species. Shall we suppose that if there is a G, that our Humanity will relate to its logic capacity? A shallow perspective at best.

You've also used the words "know" and "knowledge". Shall we also assume that we and G understand those concepts with equal comprehension? Are we on equal footing?

Consider in your thoughts the concept of Middle Knowledge as but one of many possibilities to explain the comprehensional logic capacity of a G being.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:14 am
@Diogenes phil,
Krumple;168912 wrote:

Religion has something to sell, and this product is never delivered. Show me a person who has gotten the delivery.

but whatever I said, you would explain away. I know, I have spent time on the Dawkins forum. You can point out all the good things spiritual folk do, running charities, caring for the poor and sick, and they will say 'means nothing. Their motivation is all wrong. They are only out for themselves'. I mean, what can anyone say? It is secular fundamentalism and there is no point discussing it further.

Anyway let's not pursue this, there really is no point. There are some interesting science-related philosophical arguments to follow.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:17 am
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;168904 wrote:
That's just not true Krumple and teeters on misinformation. Science doesn't just arbitrarily add the term code to something that has "no code about it".

As usual you misunderstood the point I was making. When people hear the word code, the immediately assume a maker behind it. Just like you tried to do with using the alphabet and your writing as analogy to how it is a code. Did our language get randomly placed or was it thought out? When I made that statement it was to remove the aspect that a person would immediately jump to, "Well god did it, since its a code, and all codes have makers so god must be behind the functioning of DNA, after all you can't have a code without some sort of intelligence behind it."

It's a fallacy because it does not work that way. It is the chemical bonds themselves and the culmination of these amino acids which actually build up to become a protein. They don't magically become some new thing, it is only a convenience for language and understanding to say it that way.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:23 am
@Diogenes phil,
You will find that Professor Evolutionary Atheism himself, Dawkins, acknowledges that Darwinian theory does not apply to the process of abiogenesis. There is no coherent theory that accounts for how life arose from non-life, only educated guesses. Now the fact that it cannot be accounted for, does not mean that God did it. It means, it cannot be accounted for.
Krumple

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:26 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;168927 wrote:
You will find that Professor Evolutionary Atheism himself, Dawkins, acknowledges that Darwinian theory does not apply to the process of abiogenesis. There is no coherent theory that accounts for how life arose from non-life, only educated guesses. Now the fact that it cannot be accounted for, does not mean that God did it. It means, it cannot be accounted for.

Yeah and I'm not in conflict with this. The only rational answer you can give to the question how did life come about is, "We don't know."
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:40 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;168924 wrote:
When people hear the word code, the immediately assume a maker behind it.

As we should. For no other mechanism, other than sentient authorship, has ever been demonstrated to manifest a genuine code. From our current knowledge about codified information, believing that code can arise by chance is literally believing in miracles. No science supports such an unwarranted assumption.

Krumple;168924 wrote:
I made that statement... to remove the aspect that a person would immediately jump to, "Well god did it...

Why would you immediately remove any possibility from the table? Doing so is designed to serve your predisposed purpose of denying G potential. It does not serve the pursuit of Truth. G did it, if and only if G did it, is a valid truth proposition. We cannot remove that potential.

Krumple;168924 wrote:
It's a fallacy because it does not work that way. It is the chemical bonds themselves and the culmination of these amino acids which actually build up to become a protein.

But which protein? Only Codified Information determines that. You're describing the building blocks, but negate the existence and necessity for Information.

Bricks do not a Building make. The medium is not the message... ever, never ever.

Krumple;168924 wrote:
They don't magically become some new thing,

There is nothing magical about Codified Information and required sentient author. It is very natural. It's the only demonstrable mechanism in all of recorded history. Suggesting otherwise is unsupportable. Suggesting otherwise is promoting magic and miracle.

Krumple;168924 wrote:
...it is only a convenience for language and understanding to say it that way.

There is nothing convenient about it. It is science, that's all. Please read Hubert Yockey's book, Information Theory, Evolution, and the Origin of Life.

DNA was DISCOVERED to be a code. It wasn't assigned as being a code. It was discovered to be a genuine code that conforms to Purlwitz, Burks, and Watermans definition of a code. That being probability space A mapped to probability space B. DNA/RNA transcription was DISCOVERED to fulfill Claude Shannon's communications protocols and Yockey mapped the transcription process directly from Shannon.

Yockey states that all of those processes take their meaning from information theory and are not metaphors or analogies. It's not a matter of convenience. Do you want me to show the original Yockey quotes again?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:42 am
@Klope3,
Klope3;168861 wrote:
In the meantime, the below might be of interest. Ironically, it came from following a number of links from the second link Krumple provided. (All credit for the below goes to the original poster.)

I laughed at your attachment quote. Not only did you create another fallacy by thinking this attachment was a refute to what I had posted but the attachment itself is flawed.

There are only 4 base pairs so trying to use the alphabet as an example is the worst possible example that can be used. The combination for each pair is far fewer possibilities but not only that certain combination's don't even do anything, they are considered inactive parings.

You can't use the alphabet as an example of this method. But that wasn't the actual problem, instead they used a sentence which only certain word combination's work. These are not words, they only react to how these amino acids combine to form proteins.

Nice try but now I see what your motivation is. You really don't care to actually learn anything. You have already decided where you stand on the issue by this amusing attempt.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 11:47 PM ----------

QuinticNon;168934 wrote:
As we should. For no other mechanism, other than sentient authorship, has ever been demonstrated to manifest a genuine code. From our current knowledge about codified information, believing that code can arise by chance is literally believing in miracles. No science supports such an unwarranted assumption.

Why would you immediately remove any possibility from the table? Doing so is designed to serve your predisposed purpose of denying G potential. It does not serve the pursuit of Truth. G did it, if and only if G did it, is a valid truth proposition. We cannot remove that potential.

But which protein? Only Codified Information determines that. You're describing the building blocks, but negate the existence and necessity for Information.

Bricks do not a Building make. The medium is not the message... ever, never ever.

There is nothing magical about Codified Information and required sentient author. It is very natural. It's the only demonstrable mechanism in all of recorded history. Suggesting otherwise is unsupportable. Suggesting otherwise is promoting magic and miracle.

There is nothing convenient about it. It is science, that's all. Please read Hubert Yockey's book, Information Theory, Evolution, and the Origin of Life.

DNA was DISCOVERED to be a code. It wasn't assigned as being a code. It was discovered to be a genuine code that conforms to Purlwitz, Burks, and Watermans definition of a code. That being probability space A mapped to probability space B. DNA/RNA transcription was DISCOVERED to fulfill Claude Shannon's communications protocols and Yockey mapped the transcription process directly from Shannon.

Yockey states that all of those processes take their meaning from information theory and are not metaphors or analogies. It's not a matter of convenience. Do you want me to show the original Yockey quotes again?

"Men take the words they find in use amongst their neighbours; and that they may not seem ignorant what they stand for, use them confidently, without much troubling their heads about a certain fixed meaning; whereby, besides the ease of it, they obtain this advantage, That, as in such discourses they seldom are in the right, so they are as seldom to be convinced that they are in the wrong"

DNA is a string of molecules. There are four main components: guanine, adenine, thymine and cytosine. Those names, the words 'guanine', 'adenine', 'thymine' and 'cytosine' are primary symbols invented by humans to identify the physical molecules which are found in DNA.

For convenience, we often abbreviate these symbols to CAGT, so that we can more readily handle the huge volume of data which we have accumulated about DNA. Please observe: there exists a long molecule of a type which we label DNA. It has four major components to which we assign symbols as names. We next assign symbols to the name symbols as an abbreviating code. We humans have agreed to assign the four letters CAGT as a code for the symbols which in turn stand for the molecular components of DNA.

A code is a symbol which stands in place of a symbol. The four letters CAGT most definitely form a code, being symbols for the names of the four major components of DNA. The names guanine, adenine, thymine and cytosine are not codes: they are primary symbols. Primary symbols stand for real things and not for symbols. The real physical entities guanine, adenine, thymine and cytosine are not codes. If anyone wants to call them codes, let them point to the symbols which might be replaced by these 'codes'.